90 Gallon Please Help Me Get Started

1. P.Covington Initiate Member

Hi my name is Patrice and just got a used 90 gallon fish tank for my birthday. First I do not know if it leaks so I've got to check it out and see because I only paid a $100 for it :). Second, it is a salt water tank and it has all these gadgets and gedits and I have no idea what they are and what to do with them. Third, I want a fresh water tank can someone help me get started in sitting it up.

Thank you

2. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Here is your new thread.

Ken

3. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

:;juggleHere is a website that gives you step by step instructions on how to clean and manage the tank to convert from salt water to fresh water.
    http://www.ehow.com/how_5535689_convert-water-fish-tank-fresh.html

The second thing you want to do is a lot of research on how to cycle an aquarium properly. A lot of us (including me) made the mistake of just filling it up and adding water. You need to cycle the aquarium preferably before you add any fish.

Third, you want to do A LOT of research on what kind of stock you want in the tank. If you have some idea of what you want, the knowledgeable people on this website can help you finalize a stock list tailored to your preferences and the tanks limitations.:;wv

Wendy

4. P.Covington Initiate Member

Thank you, for the help

5. orandagal Member Member

Welcome Patrice :) This is a really good forum and their are numerous experienced people who will help you. I'm fairly new at this as well-starting off with 7 gallon, moved up to a 12 gallon and recently my new 29 gallon. I've had fish over the years but never really researched or read up on the "proper procedures" lost some fish and then wondered why. Once you have checked your tank for leaks and are ready to go, make sure you have read all about cycling. There were so many things I have been doing wrong with my previous tanks, but I was determined to get it right this time. When I started cycling I decided to cycle "fishless" because I had actually managed to keep my two fish alive, and didn't want to run the risk of killing them in the cycle process and I think most folks will agree, it's just easier. You have to be patient though, and when they say it takes time, they really mean it:) Mine cycled right at 6 weeks, but it did cycle and I was finally able to add my fish who are now much happier being in a bigger home. I'm am now into my 9th week and still learning as I go, but feel much more confident about what I'm doing and am already dreaming about my next tank. Wishing you much success and read, read, read.

6. Fall River Member Member

+1 to what Debbie said! :)
    Welcome to the forum Patrice.
    To check for leaks set the tank on a solid, flat, level surface. Try to keep the area around the tank dry (easier to spot leakage if you don't start out in a puddle). Fill the tank with a few inches of water and check to see if the seals between the bottom and sides are tight. If it stays dry fill it halfway and do another close inspection, this time checking the corners as well as the bottom/side joints. Finally, fill it completely and do your inspection. If there is ANY sign of leaking the tank will need resealing.
    Hope this was helpful in giving you a starting point, and keep us posted. We all love new tanks, whether it's ours or not!! :)

7. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

Because it can take several days for a slow leak to be noticeable, I would fill the tank outside and wait a week to see if there are any signs of leakage. I found out the hard way when my 125G leaked after being set up for a couple of weeks when it started to leak. Much easier to deal with it before adding substrate, decor, plants and fish!

I have used bleach or vinegar to remove salt and algae deposits when converting saltwater tanks for freshwater use. If your new tank is acrylic and not glass be very careful not to scratch it! If glass, it will be much more forgiving to the elbow grease cleaning.

There are many articles on this site.

I do not trust articles found on About.Com or on eHow.com because there is more bad than good information. For example, the article linked above claims that a tank is ready for fish after about a week so long as the pH is close to neutral.

This is a very dangerous statement for someone new to the hobby.

Here are the articles I recommend to get started on the right foot:
    *https://www.fishlore.com/FirstTankSetup.htm

*Once set up then begin to cycle the tank. Here's an article to describe this process: https://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm.

*There are several methodologies for cycling a tank. I recommend the fishless method as it will not jeopardize the lives of the inhabitants.

*In order to monitor the bacterial levels, you will need a liquid test kit. I recommend the API Freshwater Master Kit.

*While waiting the few weeks to cycle your tank, research the types of fish that are of interest to you. Here's a couple of links to help get you started:

https://www.fishlore.com/GoodFirstFish.htm
    https://www.fishlore.com/freshwaterfish.htm

Welcome to the forum! Ask all the questions needed as there is much to learn initially to have the greatest success.