90 Gal Build

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by jbester, Apr 23, 2017.

1. jbesterNew MemberMember

Hey guys I'm setting up my 90 gal now front and could use some input on a couple of things. First the filtration is a sump pump. I'm using the marine pure ceramic balls but I can't find anywhere what the recommended amount is! I have a 2 qt box in it now but it just doesn't look like enough. The sump tank is a 20 gal btw. Second question is on heaters. Of course I want to put the heater in the sump tank but what wattage should I look for? I think my pump will probably put off some heat so I don't know if I can get away with a smaller heater or not. I plan on putting my angel fish in this tank as well as planting it. So close to getting it started up! Will post pics once it's up but here's a pic of what I have so far. a447add09972f3714145156ac3647e0d.jpg

2. Al913Fishlore VIPMember

Can't wait for the final product!

AMAZING PIECE OF DRIFTWOOD! Where did you get it?

3. jbesterNew MemberMember

Thanks! We had to cut of the top piece of trim and re silicone it to get it in! Lol. Found it in a fish store down near Indianapolis. We got a really good deal on it. So excited to tuck some little plants in the crooks of it.

4. Al913Fishlore VIPMember

Do you know what kind of fish and plants your gonna have!

Also for plants for the driftwood, hope you know you can superglue them! Much easier and faster than tying with strings

5. jbesterNew MemberMember

I already have 3 vail tail angels, a pictus cat and an electric blue ram that will go in it. I plan on adding an eel, some neon tetras and probably another couple of angels. I have an idea on plants but not an expert yet so I can't remember names. lol. I want to do some low growing ferns on the driftwood and some taller plants at the back. Yes I researched the glueing. Seems like the way to go for sure!

6. Al913Fishlore VIPMember

Just want to let you know, the neons would most likely get eaten by the pictus. Anything 1" or will get eaten.

What are the dimensions of the tank? Angels are territorial and if you get a breeding pair, other angels and fish will be in trouble.

7. jbesterNew MemberMember

I hadn't thought of that with the pictus but you're probably right. I do have two shrimp that he leaves alone. They may get eaten one day though. . It's actually my ram that's being aggressive right now.

Does anybody have advice for me on the questions asked above though? lol

8. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

You have some stocking issues with your planned stocking, if you'd like to discuss them :) More than just the neon/pictus issue.

For the heater, you want 3-5x the volume of the water for wattage. So you'd want to add the volume of the tank plus the volume of the sump to calculate the wattage necessary. I err on the side of caution and would go with 5x. You can use two heaters in the sump to achieve this.

For the amount of biomedia, there's not really a set rule. 2 quarts should be fine, but if you wanted to add more, you could.

9. jbesterNew MemberMember

Thank you! That's helpful. I won't worry so much about the amount of bio media for now then. I understand the point with neon/pictus issue. Thanks!

10. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

There are other issues though, if you'd like to discuss them.

11. jbesterNew MemberMember

Ok. What do you mean?

12. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

It's dangerous to keep angels in groups of three - two can and will beat up on one. In a 4 ft tank, I wouldn't stock more than 4, and even that might not work out long term. Angels can be nasty to each other.

Pictus should be kept in groups. However, they're not temperature compatible with angels or blue rams. I'd rehome him.

What kind of eel? Many will eat small schooling fish as well.

Neons aren't temp compatible with angels or blue rams either. Instead of neons, what about cardinals?

If you'd like some stocking plans based on similar fish to the ones you listed, let us know!

13. jbesterNew MemberMember

Yes I may have to rehome my pictus. I hate to. I really like him. My temp is set at about 79-80. Everybody seems happy. I was under the understanding if you keep Angels you should have 1 or 3 or more so that is new to me. I guess I'll have to see how these 3 do together over time. So far so good. As far as eel I was thinking tire track but I'm not set on that. What's your recommendation? I just put tetras in yesterday because my ram was picking on my Angels so bad. It was recommended to me to put a schooling fish such as the tetras to hopefully take all the focus off of my angels. It seems to be working and so far the pictus has left them alone. Did not think of him when I got them. If they don't make it I'll go to a bigger schooling fish.

Btw I do try to research before I buy! Lol. The pictus was an impulse buy but I just love him.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  14. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

You can keep the pictus and add more if you rehome the angels and the blue ram and the neons.

Here are a few stocking options for you:

1-4x (but not 3) Angelfish
    2-5x GBR
    15-20x Cardinals
    4-5x Porthole catfish or 10-15x Cories (one species, either C. sterbai or C. aeneus as others aren't temp compatible with GBR)

6-8x Pictus cats
    1x Rainbow cichlid
    2x Severum
    8-10x Turquoise rainbowfish

15. jbesterNew MemberMember

Ok thanks for your input! My ram is an electric blue btw. Should I get another? I do like him a lot. And will probably end up rehoming the pictus or keeping him in the 15 gal. That doesn't seem ideal for him either though.

16. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

Electric blue rams are the same species as blue rams, German blue rams, and gold rams. They're all M. ramirezi, and you can mix and match colors.

I would get another. You see more interesting behaviors when they're kept in pairs or groups.

A 15 gal is definitely not appropriate for an active schooling fish. I would rehome him if you're not going to stock the 90 gal around him.

17. jbesterNew MemberMember

That's what I was thinking on the rams. Would be fun to do that.

Thanks again so much for your input!

That's what I was thinking on the rams. Would be fun to do that.

Thanks again so much for your input!

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  18. jbesterNew MemberMember

Getting very close to getting this tank running! I have a couple more questions. Maybe you could chime in on this TexasDomer? Right now in my wet/dry sump I have the pre filter pad and 2 qt marine pure. I feel like I should have more in there. Like maybe a charcoal pad or something? The other question I have is what would be the best way to cycle? Should I do a water change on my small tank and put it in the 90 or place my filter media in the 90 for a time? I hate to leave that tank with no filter media. One more question. I have well water not city water. Do I still need to use a de chlorinator of some kind? I have in my smaller tank because it doesn't take much and figured it can't harm anything. If it's not necessary maybe it's an expense I can avoid. Thanks as always for your input!

19. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

You don't need charcoal or activated carbon, but it wouldn't hurt to add more mechanical media (like polyfill or micron felt pad).

For the cycling situation, are any of your fish in the small tank going into the bigger tank?

20. jbesterNew MemberMember

Most or all of them. I will start with one or two. I had an idea. I was thinking of putting a few of my marine pure balls in my cycled tank for a few days then put them back in my sump. I'm planning on filling it and letting it run for a few days before I start the cycling process.

8346b2a99ca8ae40de3d60345cd6129d.jpg

This is what I have in filter so far.

23367b7a503854c58ede036ddcd37414.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice