9 yo Catfish (2) fins look tough suddenly

1. ToolaRoola Initiate Member

Hey! Y'all helped me years ago with one of these very fish! <3! I have noticed a couple of months after buying a Pleco (first new fish in years & years) that my catfish fins look a bit broken and separating. They are acting as happily as ever. WWYD? I'm being more vigilant with water changes.

2. hampalong Fishlore VIP Member

What kind of plec? Some of them are very territorial, especially towards other catfish.

3. ToolaRoola Initiate Member

I asked for a bristle nose, but, this has grown somewhat bigger faster than I thought it should & it looks more regular :(. I suspected that at first, but would that cause splitting/ separation in the fins as well? One whisker is shorter on the smaller catfish and the upper tail fin is shorter, but the top fun on backs are now beginning to do this splitting bit. Thanks for your help!

4. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

Any pics.

5. hampalong Fishlore VIP Member

If it's a Common they can be relentless in their attacks. With more aggressive Syno spp the tables can also be turned. I introduced a Common to a Syno angelicus and the Common had it's fins totally shredded overnight. Fins are very easily shredded by rough armour and/or spines...

6. ToolaRoola Initiate Member

Thank you, hampalong. What does one do with an unwanted Pleco? Do pet stores (Petco) take them back?

7. hampalong Fishlore VIP Member

We don't have Petco in the UK. You'd have to ask them I suppose...

8. ToolaRoola Initiate Member

I called...They will take it back. :) THANKS!

If I could figure out how to post pictures, I would.

9. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

10. ToolaRoola Initiate Member

IMG_1137.jpg IMG_1139.jpg

11. hampalong Fishlore VIP Member

Corys. Not sure why I assumed you had a Synodontis. ???

12. ToolaRoola Initiate Member

] IMG_1138.jpg

that's ok. I've lost track of the names. Sorry. These are about 9 years old. So tiny when we got them.

Pleco is hiding. This last picture is the one I wanted to post the most. This is the smaller of the 2, and is also missing a front "whisker".

Water was tested recently by the shop and check out great.

Attached Files:

13. ToolaRoola Initiate Member

When seeing the pictures, do you think it looks more like a rot type of problem, or bullying? I suppose it is hard to say. Pleco and tetra fins look fine. TIA!

14. ToolaRoola Initiate Member

Just saw him go after the small Cory. Thanks.

15. hampalong Fishlore VIP Member

There's not a lot of damage there. How big is the tank? It could just be being slightly territorial without trying to do real damage, especially if the tank is on the small side.

16. ToolaRoola Initiate Member

Oh, ok. It's a 10 gallon.

17. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

Probably due to waterquality.

18. hampalong Fishlore VIP Member

Possibly, especially in such a small tank. But it's also physically too small for Corys, or a plec. With them together it could just be accidental damage. There isn't much room for the Corys to avoid the plec's movements, especially at night when they can't see very well. You don't really want a plec brushing past you....

19. ToolaRoola Initiate Member

IMG_1150.JPG

This is the pleco. He is not a bristlenose, right? Sorry, this is the best pic I can get. He's very peppy and busy until I come around.

Sorry it's sideways.

20. hampalong Fishlore VIP Member

Yes, it is a Bristlenose