9 Day Vacation; Fishies Need To Eat!

Gdpierce79
Hey all! In a little over a week (9 days?) I am going on vacation. I am leaving Thursday and getting back on a Saturday. NO ONE WILL BE IN MY HOUSE THE WHOLE TIME
PART 1:
This tank has been cycled for about a month. I started it 1 3/4 months ago. It is a medium planted tank. I have a school and 1 honey gourami.
- my hg has been with me about 1 month. It doesn’t eat anything I give it, just eats the algae. I have tried 3 types of food and literally watched him investigate a bloodworm before leaving. I don’t need to worry about him.
- I usually feed 3-4ish medium pellets 2x per day
- school is 6 rasboras- 5 harlequin 1 porkchop
- I want an automatic feeder that works with the granules

Which should I get?

PART 2
I have a cycled, 5 gallon Betta tank. It has one small piece of hornwort and an Anubis (which has a flower, YAY!) I got it October 12th, 2017
We feed it 2 insect larvae granules, 2x per day. It’s only tankmate is 1 zebra nerite snail
What should I do?

Please, any help would be useful. I really need to order this! Thanks

tropez
If it was me, I'd do some searching on Amazon and check out the reviews then order one.

FishKeeperRyan
I use automtic fish feeders because I leave every two weeks for two weeks

I like the ehiem one

Or just feed them a lot then leave fish can go a bit with put eating if necessary

vijay3242
If you have some good friends or family you could ask them to come feed the fish just once a day. And then put the servings for each tank in little medication serve things. I wouldn't recommend letting them control the food amount though. One time over the summer I went to a camp for a week and when I came back my tank was green and half the fish were dead. Hope this helps.

Gdpierce79
Thank you all! I got a rip-off of an ehiem everyday. I’m setting it up today.

YATT
Have a 20 gallon tank. 21 small fish

15 neon tetras
6 gold white clouds

I see some say they’ll be fine and other suggest auto feeders. I’ve never gone more than a day without feeding. Appreciate feedback and thoughts.

goldface
They should be fine. Nine days is nothing. I've gone over 2 weeks without feeding a few times

imba
9 days is ok, I was away 18 days without feeding without any issues

JenC
I'm also inclined to let them fast.

If you want a happy medium perhaps you could have someone drop by in the middle to feed and check on them? Only someone you trust who would follow instructions like rinse hands first, only feed the portion you specifically set aside, wouldn't add random fish to your tank, etc. Someone you could have stop by beforehand for a walkthrough.

But between fasting and an auto-feeder I'd vote fasting.

smee82
Dont get a feeder. If you really worried you can add some live daphnia for them to hunt while your away.

coralbandit
Change water and start the fast one day before you go so water will remain at peak condition while you are gone .
I have done 9 day vacas without issue .

YATT
Thanks again everyone. All were fine. In fact the fat golden White Cloud Mountain minnows are thinner and better looking. I’ll soon be moving them to a smaller tank on their own. Greedy eaters.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
OnTheFly
Replies
Views
PeteStevers
Replies
Views
RSababady
Replies
Views