8ppm Ammonia, Fishless Cycle

1. s

sbholland Member Member

I am fishless cycling a 33 gallon tank. I started last Sunday. I added ammonia right away but maybe should have waited I have at least 1ppm ammonia in my tap water. Tonight when I tested the ammonia was very dark green. I then split it 50/50 with tap water (yeah I know, not the most accurate) and I'm still about 8ppm on the test I have misplaced all of my testing charts so I'm going by memory but I know these are too dark to be less than 8.
    Is this going to stall the cycle or should I keep adding stability and wait for it to process?

2. Goldiemom

Goldiemom Well Known Member Member

That’s really high ammonia and may stall the cycle. How much ammonia did you add? I hate to do w/c’s during fishless cycling but you may have to. Watch it another day and see if it starts dropping. If not, do a 25% w/c and see if that’s enough to do something. If not, you may have to do more but start at the minimum. Keep us posted.

3. OP
    OP
    s

sbholland Member Member

Ok to update. I got impatient after only 1 week of cycling (don't know if I could survive 4+ weeks)so I ..........

Didn't add fish. Instead I raided my 20 long that has a tidal 75 (yeah, I know overkill). I actually removed it from the tank and put it on the 33 gallon. I had media for the aqueon filter that is currently cycling the 33 gallon tucked into the tidal for the last few months. I had lots of extra media in the tidal because, honestly, it was stronger than my black skirts liked. I was able to put a smaller filter on the 20 gallon long with some cycled media from the tidal and all I have in that tank currently are 3 black skirts. I had 6 but they've been slowly dying off but I can't tell why.
    Anyway when I tested just now I got. 5 ammonia,. 25 nitrites, and 40-80 nitrates Those colors are too close for me to tell the difference. Since I way overdid it the first time how much ammonia should I add to keep the cycle going? I think I want to cycle to 4ppm