86g Saltwater Expense?

1. Prism

Prism Well Known Member Member

I have been wondering about this for quite a while.. I already have a empty 86g in my garage, but having it saltwater, how much would it be to get a good darn pretty saltwater tank? Not fish including, only the supplies. I bet I'm going to do freshwater, but I'm just wondering how much it would be to setup a saltwater tank?

2. grantm91

grantm91 Fishlore VIP Member

I replied to you on another thread but it was pretty much a basic reply as i only have a 32g reef, and I'm also uk. I cant think of anyone to tag with a big sw set up but @NART is from the states and is into his kit so would be able to give more than i can here. @LJC6780 im sure she has a big set up actually.

3. OP
    OP
    Prism

Alright, can't wait to here from them! in calling @LJC6780 @NART

4. stella1979

stella1979 Fishlore VIP Member

So, just giving you a number would be pretty hard... If you wanted to you could spend several thousand dollars. If you're handy and DIY a bit the cost would be less, but even then, I'm sure you could still easily get up to $1000, give or take.

I would suggest watching this playlist...
    Reef Tank Guide: 52 Weeks of Reefing #BRS160 - YouTube

It will cover more than you actually need, but will still give you an idea of what is mandatory for a large saltwater system. It's a pretty good series and it discusses cost as well.

I wish I could be more precise but I'm another nano tank keeper so I have no experience with, nor do I know the average cost of things like sumps and skimmers. Hope one of our members mentioned above can give you the number you're looking for.

5. Nart

Nart Well Known Member Member

Like what Stella mentioned, it's hard to put a cost to it.

Here's a rough estimate of a cheap route and a quality set-up route. (I'm personally all about saving the extra money to buy the quality stuff)
    Since you already have a tank... here are the bare essentials you'll need to start and run the tank:

RODI Unit = Cheap $100 / Quality $175
    Salt = Cheap $40 / Quality $70
    Refractometer = $20
    Heater = Cheap $40 / Quality $80
    Power-head = Cheap $50 / Quality $300
    Lights = Cheap $200 / Quality $600
    Sand = $80
    Live rocks = ranges from $300-500
    Test kits = Cheap $30 / Quality $250

Cheap/Inexpensive route = ~$1000
    Quality route = ~$1900

This is a rough ball-park. All depends on the brand you go with, if you're a DIY, like to shop around to find items on sale, or used items.
    If you are dying to start a SW tank, you can certainly go the route I took... I bought the cheaper/less expensive equipment as I progressed and understood why item A cost more than item B, I naturally wanted the better item and started "upgrading" my equipment. Basically I either have extra equipment sitting around or I sold for half the price and paid for the better equipment. Essentially it would've been cheaper for me to just buy the better/quality equipment right out the gate.

A few items I personally would not skimp on are... Heater, lights, and power-head. Especially so if you travel a lot. The last thing you want is for a heater to stay stuck in the ON position... or if the power-head dies... and good lights make all the difference in growing higher demanding corals.

Oh - this is just to run your 85 tank, if you are looking to do a sump underneath... probably add in another... $100-500

Hope this helps.
    Ben

6. OP
    OP
    Prism

I bet I would go the quality rode, that is a lot mean time it would be about 600$ for freshwater.

7. stella1979

stella1979 Fishlore VIP Member

Isn't that the truth! SW is more expensive but I hope you will be able to start a SW tank someday. It is very exciting and rewarding. Maybe sell your 86g and make some $$ to go towards a nano SW? There would still be cost involved of course but most nano's can at least avoid a sump, you'll need fewer pumps and you can still get quality parts for less money because they'll be smaller for a nano. That's the route we chose for now.

8. grantm91

I LOVE nano reefs, seriously like they are my favourite i have a nice 120g fresh people would love to do as a reef its a juwel vision 450 but i have parrot fish an oscar etc in there thats what I'm in to, but the nano reefs are something else i can look at them all day maybe I'm strange for preferring them over big reef tanks but i don't care..

9. Nart

Nart Well Known Member Member

+1 to what Grant and Stella said above.

There's just pros and cons to everything and it's about what you're into.
    One reallllyyyyy nice thing about nano tanks is, any issues with the tank you can stick your arms right in and start fixing or pulling. bigger tanks, you'll get a nice bath.

10. i

ilovefishys17 Valued Member Member

If your a beginner I would say no to a nano. If something goes wrong u won't have time to fix it most likely cause it's small and happens fast. I had a 10 gallon nano and I added 2 peices of live rock and a fish that was only in there temporary. It had 3 anemones, 2 designer clownfish, 2 pink skunk clowns, 2 gobys and a baby kole tang. Now ppl are going to say that's overstocked and I know. The skunk clowns, kole tang and 2 anemones were only in there for a week. Sadley I came back from my dad's and found out it crashed from adding live rock and a fish. So my point is that if it was a bigger tank it would not have crashed since in a bigger tank it would happen slowly and not fast. So please don't start with a nano.

11. OP
    OP
    Prism

I've had many experiences with freshwater, but zero at saltwater, maybe soon I will be starting a 10g saltwater tank, I don't really know. I just want to have some experience with saltwater, and if it doesn't work out, I know I've tried. I will be doing freshwater for my 86g.

12. OP
    OP
    Prism

I have a question about BP's, how much can you keep in a 86g?

13. grantm91

Just solely BPs if it was a long tank id do 6 or 7 with good filtration but its depending on the footprint of the tank and id buy them all at once as they can be aggressive to new comers, especially of there own kind.

14. OP
    OP
    Prism

47x17x25, are the measurements.

15. grantm91

Id do 6 personally.

16. OP
    OP
    Prism

If I do BP's, I think I would be doing 4.

17. Sakura48

Sakura48 Fishlore VIP Member

How small can you go with a Nano Reef?
    Would 5 gallons be smallest you'd go, or could 2.5 work in some cases?

18. i

ilovefishys17 Valued Member Member

I would say just take it slowly because anything can go wrong in a blink of an eye. For a beginner I would do a 15 or 20 gallon. The plus sides are:
    1. Bigger the better.
    2. More stocking options.
    3. More time to catch if something goes wrong.
    4. Bigger better reef.

That's just my opinion for a beginner.