800LPH in a 100litre tank?!?!

1. ferreter Initiate Member

Hi,
    I bought a filter on eBay for £1 not knowing what model or size it was so when it was delivered I searched all the writing I could find on it through google and came to the conclusion that its Chinese and the company that builds them is a suplier of sun-sun. (heard of them before but no idea on quality)

Anyway, it has two filters stacked on top of each other then the powerhead on top of that which has more kick than a horse and turned my 3' tank into nigra falls and scared my fish half to death. I've now fitted a hose down the length of my tank and turned it into a giant spray bar and it doesn't seem to annoy the fish anymore.

??? Is it a good idea to have such a massive filter in a tank so small??? Can you overfilter?

2. Llama Well Known Member Member

I don't really think there's such a thing as 'overfiltering'. The problem is of course the massive pressure from the INTAKE and the OUTTAKE. So as long as you reduce the pressure so you don't hurt the fish - it should be fine.

I think its a bit of overkill though, but meh.

3. Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

I agree, there's no such thing as over filtration. If the current is annoying your fish turn the spraybar so that it faces directly at the glass it is attached to & put the pickup it the opposite end of the tank. Putting a prefilter sponge over the pickup will help reduce the amount of suction the fish are exposed to as they won't be able to get so close to the pickup itself.

4. ferreter Initiate Member

Thanks, I got a silicon fuel hose and made a 2foot spray bar which is now hanging above the water level along the length of the tank & giving me a very modest air curtain & hopefully just enough movement to keep everyone happy.
    The pickup runs on all four sides of the unit so seems to be very low pressure so I dont think its worth worrying about.
    Thanks for your help guys.