800 Dollar Cell Phone Or 800 Dollar Fish Tank?

Discussion in 'Polls' started by Dave125g, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Dave125g

Dave125g Fishlore Legend Member

In looking into a new tank. A 125 gallon with stand will cost me 800 bucks. That's what some people pay for there new cell phone. So I ask new tank or new phone?

2. vikingkirken

vikingkirken Well Known Member Member

Go used or wait for Black Friday, that's my plan...

But if I was gonna choose, tank totally wins. Fancy phones are overrated! And the tank will hold much of its resale should you ever tire of it, unlike the phone which would be worthless in a year or two.

3. OP
    OP
    Dave125g

My son has the new Iphone, and aside from a slightly better camera there's nothing his 800 dollar phone can do that my 80 dollar phone can't .

4. vikingkirken

vikingkirken Well Known Member Member

I think my phone (that I am on right now) was about $150 several years ago. And the plan I have is $12/month. It does everything I need it to do, except a bit more storage space would be nice. Why spend more... I just don't get it.

A 125g tank on the other hand... So many possibilities!!

5. OP
    OP
    Dave125g

I don't get it either . its like these kids that pay 500 bucks for a pair of sneakers that last 4 months . my 20 pair are still going strong after 2 years. Fish tank wins hands down in my book

6. AngelTheGypsy

AngelTheGypsy Fishlore VIP Member

Is your phone broken? If not, definitely tank. If so, get the tank and a $50 dumb phone (actually I think the dumb phones cost more than smart phones anymore. You can get a cheap smartphone at Walmart for $40)

7. grantm91

grantm91 Fishlore VIP Member

Tank mate, i dont care about my phone its only for taking pics of my tanks anyway lol maybe even try something new like a marine set up thats what i did for my 3rd tank or maybe even a brackish im itching to do another set up with a figure 8 puffer i am already visualising haha

8. oOBlueOo

oOBlueOo Well Known Member Member

Tank! I don't care for those expensive phones, anyway. Mine is a cheap boost mobile phone.

9. Nanologist

Nanologist Well Known Member Member

How is this question even being asked!? lol

Glad to see so many "correct" answers. You're all my type of peeps! ;)

Only way I could agree with the phone is if you need it to install the Fishlore Forum app, but even then if you're fine using a browser then forget the new phone. =P

10. bgclarke

bgclarke Well Known Member Member

I got a $900 CDN phone for $50 by getting a carrier subsidized phone (Samsung S7 Edge).
    More money for tanks

11. OP
    OP
    Dave125g

If I asked this question on Instagram I wonder what answer I would get

12. Nanologist

You'd get comments that make no sense and a headache... lol

13. Books&Fish

Books&Fish Well Known Member Member

You can get far more entertainment and education and longevity from an $800 fish tank than you can with an $800 phone that's obsolete in 2 years. Cost-benefit analysis says fish tank all the way. Non-cost-benefit analysis says fish tank all the way. $800 on a phone is insanity (says the girl with $150 smartphone and Cricket service. I don't get this iPhone thing.)

14. B

Bruxes and Bubbles Well Known Member Member

Fish tank! All of my phones have been hand-me-downs from my parents, but as long as a phone can take pictures and has a notes feature...it'll be fine for me. :D

15. Culprit

Culprit Fishlore VIP Member

Fish tank all the way! I'm talking reef tank!

16. bgclarke

bgclarke Well Known Member Member

Whenever I upgrade my phone, I get the previous years flagship or similar.
    Even though I seem to live on my phone, there is no way I can justify spending huge amounts of money on buying a phone outright.

17. Nanologist

Yeah, for $800 you can really go all out!

18. OP
    OP
    Dave125g

Yea baby. A 125 with all the trimmings

19. A

AlexandraC New Member Member

Without a doubt, a fish tank!

Mind you, I would probably need to buy a bigger house to fit it in, but would definitely still go for the tank.

20. N

NightShade Well Known Member Member

Dude.... screw a new phone! Lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice