80 Gallon And Stocking

1. c

camste Valued Member Member

So I've tried aqadvisor, but I know it's not completely reliable, so I'd like some advice :) I've got an 80 gallon tank up and running, and I'm working on stocking slowly but steadily. Currently there are 7 head and tail light tetras there, + one unidentified tetra which schools with them, so I guess I could count it as one. I've got a pleco which was labeled as an L144 where I bought it. It's some yellow variation of the bristlenose according to my research. There's also a rabbit snail and 3 assassin snails in there.

My thought now is to add a school of 8 Harlequin Rasboras, and then later add a couple of angelfish. I read in a different thread here that adding 3 wasn't recommended as they might couple up and fight the one that's left out, so I guess two is the limit? Or could I have more? Should I perhaps add another one of the yellow plecos to handle the algae and add life to the bottom of the tank, or would they fight eachother? (I read that they could be territorial.) My substrate is black fine gravel, so the yellow pleco makes a nice contrast :) Or perhaps some loach which would give some contrast with the black gravel? If the loaches eat snails it's ok, because I could rehome my snails to a 16 gallon which I'm setting up. :) Clown loaches are beautiful, but I guess they get too big.

I would just like to know if I need to rethink the stocking because the fish might be killed by the angels, or if it's ok. I'm thinking the angels go in last so that they don't have the opportunity to build a territory which spans the whole tank. And I'd of course like to keep from over stocking it.

2. Adrian Burke

Adrian Burke Valued Member Member

If you get 2 angels, one will keep beating the other. If you get 3, 2 will pair up on the weakest one. I would recommend just 1, unless you want to get a lot.

3. CloudTheFluffy

CloudTheFluffy Valued Member Member

Two could work but there could always be problem with angels. I've had success with four but if there's not a either on gender or a gal for both boys they will start a massacre with each other. either get a proven pair or one.

4. Adrian Burke

A breeding pair could get Along, but you could get babies :/

5. OP
    OP
    c

Hm... Maybe I have to re-think the angels then. I want something which grows a little bit bigger to be a contrast to the tetras (but without eating them), and I think angels are beautiful. But I've made the mistake before of putting overly aggressive fish in my tank, and it ended in a massacre. I was mistaken about which type of tetra it was (this is a problem when the labels are in Norwegian, and all info online is in English), and they killed everything. I really don't want to put a wolf in a cage with rabbits.

6. Adrian Burke

How about a gourami? They can get a few inches long and most kinds are completely passive.

7. OP
    OP
    c

I saw in the profiles here that they report some of them as a little bit agressive, but how about pearl gouramis? I saw that someone sells two 1 year old females, so then they should get along, right? The boys are the more hostile ones?

8. Adrian Burke

Yes

9. Bradley Moles

Bradley Moles Valued Member Member

I’d say 2 or 4+ angels and one pleco with 3 or 4 yoyo or zebra loaches and a couple twig catfish