8 Month Old Crested Gecko Eating Live Food?

CanadianFishFan

So I have a baby crested gecko that is almost 8 Months old. I've had him for 3 months and have seen him hunting water droplets. I feed him many flavors of Pangea and Repashy. How old should he be to have crickets? I heard you can measure from between their eyes to see if a cricket would fit but at what age can they start eating them?

Luciferene

8 Month would be plenty old enough to have live insects just make sure that the ones you get are small enough. I would dust the crickets to feed them though as crickets by themselves aren't very nutritious.

CanadianFishFan

8 Month would be plenty old enough to have live insects just make sure that the ones you get are small enough. I would dust the crickets to feed them though as crickets by themselves aren't very nutritious.
There only a treat so like twice a month and yes I would dust them! Do I let him hunt them or hand feed? He has a small exo terra and how many would he get?

Luciferene

There only a treat so like twice a month and yes I would dust them! Do I let him hunt them or hand feed? He has a small exo terra and how many would he get?
I'm guessing he is still small so probably 3-4 crickets per feeding. I would feed them in a case like a Tupperware since the crickets can hide really well in exo terra. You may have to handfeed him the first time if he shows no interest in the crickets. Your crestie was never exposed to crickets so it may not recognize them as food.
I think Pangea suggests that you mix insects once or twice a week with it since cresties will grow lot faster with insect protein. You should also try mealworms, they love it! But you do need to be aware of its high fat content.
What morph is he? I miss having cresties, they can be so calm and lovely.

CanadianFishFan

I'm guessing he is still small so probably 3-4 crickets per feeding. I would feed them in a case like a Tupperware since the crickets can hide really well in exo terra. You may have to handfeed him the first time if he shows no interest in the crickets. Your crestie was never exposed to crickets so it may not recognize them as food.
I think Pangea suggests that you mix insects once or twice a week with it since cresties will grow lot faster with insect protein. You should also try mealworms, they love it! But you do need to be aware of its high fat content.
What morph is he? I miss having cresties, they can be so calm and lovely.
Maybe I will try mealworms. He is very interested in hunting and I have only handled him 2-3 times. I'm scared he will drop his tail. The picture was taken when I was cleaning the tank.

Luciferene

Maybe I will try mealworms. He is very interested in hunting and I have only handled him 2-3 times. I'm scared he will drop his tail. The picture was taken when I was cleaning the tank.
That's a lovely crestie you've got! The color change at the tail is quite pronounced.
I wouldn't be too afraid to handle him. Those tails don't fall off easily as long as you don't forceably pull them. I had to be pretty rough with my cresties when I checked their calcium sacs. One of them loved clinging onto my finger by the tail like monkeys!

CanadianFishFan

That's a lovely crestie you've got! The color change at the tail is quite pronounced.
I wouldn't be too afraid to handle him. Those tails don't fall off easily as long as you don't forceably pull them. I had to be pretty rough with my cresties when I checked their calcium sacs. One of them loved clinging onto my finger by the tail like monkeys!
What morph is he? I think he is a tiger morph? And how can I tell what sex he is? I thinks hes a male I bought him unsexed for cheaper price.

Luciferene

What morph is he? I think he is a tiger morph? And how can I tell what sex he is? I thinks hes a male I bought him unsexed for cheaper price.
From the photo I would say he's tiger with partial pinstripe. You can tell a male apart by the bulge where the tail connects to the body. If your gecko is 8 months old you can probably tell it by the bulge. Here's a website with photos to help with sexing.
How Do I Tell if My Crested Gecko is a Male or Female

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Princethepurplebetta
  • Reptile
Replies
Views
Aureus
Replies
Views
aBettaNamedRoy
Replies
Views