8 gallon stocking suggestions & centerpiece

Bruhineedhelp

I'm buying a 8 gallon tank and I want your advice. Can I put 2 angel fish, 4 pygmy cory catfish and 2 guppys in the 8g. My slogan is you don't just want your fish to survive, you also want them to thrive. I want to know if those fish are fine in the 8g, if not then please give me a better setup.

Coradee

Hi a simple forum search would have answered your question about the angels.
The answer is no they are way too big for an 8 gallon tank

Ouse

Remove the angelfish from that list and you could likely get away with the rest of that stock in the 8 gallon.

Did you find the dimensions?

Flyfisha

Hi ,
Black skirt or white skirt tetras are a similar looking species to angels Bruhineedhelp ,but I am afraid even they are to big for an 8 gallon. No even a 55 gallon is big enough in my opinion for an angel that grows to more than 10 inches tall. I have not looked at the link written by other members ether. This is just my opinion having held up bags of angels at auction, as a runner.
Your ask for a possible setup. I would suggest endler males instead of guppies as they are very similar looking in colour but more peaceful and only slightly smaller. No females in anything of that size.
You could try dwarf corydoras but they require special attention at feeding time . Cherry shrimp would add colour along with a school of around 12 endlers.

image.jpgA quick and dirty snapshot of some endler boys keeping an 8 ish gallon cycled until it’s needed as a quarantine tank or similar.

Bruhineedhelp

Hi a simple forum search would have answered your question about the angels.
The answer is no they are way too big for an 8 gallon tank
OK thank you I won't get them.
Remove the angelfish from that list and you could likely get away with the rest of that stock in the 8 gallon.

Did you find the dimensions?
OK I won't have the angel fish tank you.
Hi ,
Black skirt or white skirt tetras are a similar looking species to angels Bruhineedhelp ,but I am afraid even they are to big for an 8 gallon. No even a 55 gallon is big enough in my opinion for an angel that grows to more than 10 inches tall. I have not looked at the link written by other members ether. This is just my opinion having held up bags of angels at auction, as a runner.
Your ask for a possible setup. I would suggest endler males instead of guppies as they are very similar looking in colour but more peaceful and only slightly smaller.
Thank for the advice!

Hi, I am trying to find a good center peice for my aquarium then surround it with other small fish. I know from my other thread angel fish are not an option so I want to know if I can have 1 or 2 dwarf chichlid in my 8 gallon.

Ouse

Still no, due to space and aggression reasons. I assume you’re referring to apistogramma cichlids?

It may be discouraging that we’re saying no to a lot of fish, but it’s all we can really say to most stocking suggestions when we’re working with such a small space.

Bruhineedhelp

Still no, due to space and aggression reasons. I assume you’re referring to apistogramma cichlids?

It may be discouraging that we’re saying no to a lot of fish, but it’s all we can really say to most stocking suggestions when we’re working with such a small space.
It's fine as long as my fish are happy.

I have made many threads about centerpeuce fish. I'm planning on having 1 or 2 center peice fish then surrounding it with smaller fish. Can you please give me suggestions of centerpiece fish that will be happy in a 8 gallon. Thank you to you all, you are very helpful and you have given me lots of advice.

WRWAquarium

There is a fish called a badis, that could work as a centerpiece in an 8g.

Bruhineedhelp

There is a fish called a badis, that could work as a centerpiece in an 8g.
Thank you I will look into them!

Hi, someone has allready suggested a center peice fish, the badis to have in my 8 gallon. Before I buy it I just want to know if a goumarie would be happy in a 8 gallon.
Hi ,
Your ask for a possible setup. I would suggest endler males instead of guppies as they are very similar looking in colour but more peaceful and only slightly smaller. No females in anything of that size.
You could try dwarf corydoras but they require special attention at feeding time . Cherry shrimp would add colour along with a school of around 12 endlers.

image.jpgA quick and dirty snapshot of some endler boys keeping an 8 ish gallon cycled until it’s needed as a quarantine tank or similar.
Thank you very much, I researched the endlers and I LOVE them. I will get a lot of them thank you.

Hi, i have decided to get 4 pygmy corydoras, cherry shrimp and some Endler live bearers. I want to know how many endlers I can have with the 4 pygmys (if 4 is to much then you can tell me i can only have 2 or 3) My tank is 8 gallons i have found it hard to get a setup.

CrackerboxPalace

IMO i would ditch the corys because they like a decent sized footprint and a group larger than four. The endlers will work though, i'd go with four plus a pair of sparkling gourami if you're interested in those.

Bruhineedhelp

IMO i would ditch the corys because they like a decent sized footprint and a group larger than four. The endlers will work though, i'd go with four plus a pair of sparkling gourami if you're interested in those.
Yes, the sparkling gourami's are a good idea.

Hi, has anyone got any suggestions for a type of catfish you can put in an 8 gallon or less.

Ouse

Hi, has anyone got any suggestions for a type of catfish you can put in an 8 gallon or less.
I thought you were adding pygmy cories?

There’s no other catfish I would suggest for any tank of 8 gallons. I’m still concerned even the pygmies might not work.

Come to terms with the fact that not much can be done in an 8 gallon, so you have to be very minimalist with the stocking. There’s not enough room for a large ecosystem of multiple fish species.

Adding a jungle of easy-to-care-for live plants will definitely make the tank look less barren and more interesting. It will benefit the fish too. ;)

I quite like the previous suggestion of the endlers. Small snails and/or shrimp will add more life too, without being detrimental to the stocking capacity.

Bruhineedhelp

I thought you were adding pygmy cories?

There’s no other catfish I would suggest for any tank of 8 gallons. I’m still concerned even the pygmies might not work.

Come to terms with the fact that not much can be done in an 8 gallon, so you have to be very minimalist with the stocking. There’s not enough room for a large ecosystem of multiple fish species.

Adding a jungle of easy-to-care-for live plants will definitely make the tank look less barren and more interesting. It will benefit the fish too. ;)

I quite like the previous suggestion of the endlers. Small snails and/or shrimp will add more life too, without being detrimental to the stocking capacity.
Ok I will get the pygmys, I was just asking just in case there's something better

Bruhineedhelp

Which is your favorite of these?
Endler live bearers with pygmy cats.
Snails with endler live bearers.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
strobukm
Replies
Views
Ryngwrayth
Replies