8 Gallon Stocking,Is This Okay?

1. BettaChuck Member Member

I have decided to upgrade my Betta Chuck to an 8 gallon and add a couple of extra fish.After reading about many fish on your website I was thinking of having the following tank stocking:

1 Betta
    2 Albino Cory
    3 Platies(all females)
    MAYBE 1 Apple Snail if it's not overstocking

Would that be okay? I really don't want fish whose growth might be stunned by being in a tank too small but it said on this site that:
    1.Platies need min 5 gallons
    2.Cory fish are schooling fish and a school needs 10 gallons yet they do fine in smaller tank by keeping only 1-2
    3.Platies are all over the tank but peaceful so they won't hurt Chuck I assume and I read elsewhere they are Betta compatible
    3.Cories are also peaceful plus they are bottom feeders and will rarely run into Chuck(again I assume) and I read they go just fine with Bettas

Now, the tank setup:
    2 caves/hiding spots
    medium size natural gravel
    1 Anubias var Nana
    2 medium sized lava rocks with Java Moss on them
    lid with light
    apropriate size filter(set to low so is not to upset Chuck)
    apropriate size heater
    thermometer
    I thought this would be fine, but than again if I were sure, I would not be asking here.Please let me know what you thing, again I really do not want any harmed or dead fish(by the way, I also picked hardy freshwater begginer fish).Thanks!

2. SarahFish Member Member

Platy produce A LOT of waste, so if you want to keep them be prepared to clean up after them. I have a betta with a sunkist platy and the betta constantly chases him around flaring and nipping, so beware to not have brightly colored platy or guppies.

Also know, that just because you plan to get all female platy, you will most likely have fry... forever haha

3. Gordinian Well Known Member Member

I don't think it's a good idea... while cories COULD survive in an 8 gallon, they prefer larger schools and a lot of room to swim around in. I wouldn't keep mine in anything smaller than a 20 gallon. As stated already, platies produce a lot of waste and would have you doing constant water changes.

4. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

I would not keep cories in anything smaller than a 20L especially albinos they get pretty large depending on the type of albino that they are. Then I think an 8 gallon really isn't enough space for a betta and the platy. I don't usually even keep platy in anything smaller than a 10 and even then I only put like two. Betta generally do best alone, they are solitary creatures.

5. wisecrackerz Well Known Member Member

That's pretty heavily stocked for a betta tank. Many bettas don't mind company, but almost all will prefer a more lightly stocked tank. It gives them more security, knowing they have more territory, and probably helps with letting them be ok with the fish that ARE there.

That said...

Yes, platies can live in a min 5G tank, but that's bare minimum, and that's assuming they're the only fish in the tank. More fish = more space. 3 platys alone would, imo, be too much for an 8G tank. to keep them in there with another 8" worth of fish would be pushing it, to put it lightly.

SOME corys can do ok in smaller tanks, but not all. They are technically bottom feeders, but spend lots of time on all levels of the tank. Also, albino corys can get to be almost 3" each. If you're dead set on corys, consider pygmys. They're smaller, and produce less waste. I'd say 8G is pretty small for them, too, but they'd probably do better in that space than another species of cory.

Apply snails won't do well in such a small space (and your betta will NOT appreciate it) simply because of the amount of waste they produce. Especially if your filter is turned down (and on an 8G, you're looking for 80GPH, remember), you're simply not going to be able to manage that in such a small, over stocked tank.

If that's the stock you want, you could probably pull that off in a 20G, and even add another cory to the mix, but please do not try to put all of that in an 8G tank. Many will say that 8G is barely enough for the betta alone, much less for a betta with a community.

6. BettaChuck Member Member

Could you please tell me what other 3 fish I could put in with Betta instead of the 3 Platies? Also, what bottom feeder could I get that could live in a 8 gallon with a Betta and 3 other fish?

7. wisecrackerz Well Known Member Member

in an 8G, you might be able to get away with 3 ottos (very cute little algae eaters) and some really spectacular shrimp, if that appeals to you at all. However, I just don't see a way to comfortably and safely house 3 other species of fish in addition to your betta, if that is what you're asking.

8. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

how about 4 cardinal tetras? They are very small, 4-5 is a okay (not great) school number and they won't haste the Betta.

I had mine in a 3 gallon with a guppy. Did fine. I upgraded him to a 20 with a school of cardinals, a balloon molly and a guppy. He seems to love it... that is why I thought tetras might do okay if they were rasboras or cardinals.

9. BettaChuck Member Member

I LOVE this idea! So I could do 4 or 5 cardinal tetras with 1 Betta? Because I really like cardinal tetras..

10. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

Cardinal tetras really shouldn't be in a 8 gallon. Neons do OKAY in a 10 and cardinals get bigger than neons. If you really want to do a tetra I'd do neons. I would not do ottos tho there won't be enough algae for a proper school of them (6 or so) what about maybe a school of micro rasoboras?

11. BettaChuck Member Member

Hmm..Microrasbora Galaxy are fascinating little fish.I wouldn't want the teras to be stressed and start nipping at my Betta or to die...How many Microrasboras could I have in the 8G with Chuck? I would give up the algae eater and limit the tank to the micro school and Chuck.
    Also, off topic, in the past two days, every time I walk in the room and get near the tank, Chuck is at the front wall moving really fast up and down or left and right? Is he scared of me(although I've done nothing but feed him and get him to go through a hoop-which he did and he didn't run away from the hoop nor did he seem scared or threatend by it, oh and i hand fed him too, he jumps pretty high lately) or is he...happy to see me in some way? I have had him for about 3 weeks now.

12. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

I think you could do like 6

13. BettaChuck Member Member

I researched more thoroughly the Microrasboras and they sound like a goor choice.They need up to 27 C temperature, grow only to 1 inch and need a minimum of 2 gallons.I am concerned about their lifespan though..they are not so cheap and I really don't want to get attached if they die in just one year..Does anyone know the lifespan?

14. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

15. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

16. BettaChuck Member Member

I believe those are not the fish being discussed here, these are: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danio_margaritatus They are part of the same family, but not the exact same fish.It says in my link 1 inch is the standard lenght(actually less than that, 1.5-2 cm)

17. jerilovesfrogs Fishlore VIP Member

I had celestial pearl danios aka galaxy rasboras that lived for about 2 years. they are maybe an inch long....

-j

18. cameronpalte Member Member

Beta fish generally do best on there own. They should at least be kept by there own species as they may nibble at other species

Be careful of keeping platy in an area that small. I enjoy sunburst platy, but I recommend trying to keep it in a 10g or larger at least.

Cory should be kept in larger schools so you should be them in larger area.

19. Salazar Member Member