8 Gallon Mini Reef Stocking

Culprit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I would not do seahorses. They are mini predators and require lots of copepods that smaller systems cannot produce unless added which gets expensive fast. A pair of coral banded shrimp could work. What are your dimensions? A yasha goby or watchman goby and pistol shrimp might work. Cool thing about that is they pair up and dig there burrow together. Really cool relationship.

GetFreshedAquariums

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Culprit said:
I would not do seahorses. They are mini predators and require lots of copepods that smaller systems cannot produce unless added which gets expensive fast. A pair of coral banded shrimp could work. What are your dimensions? A yasha goby or watchman goby and pistol shrimp might work. Cool thing about that is they pair up and dig there burrow together. Really cool relationship.
I liked all of that except for the shrimp/Goby pair. Here in Australia they are $300 so that isn't an option.
The tank is 36cm by 24.5cm by 26cm

Culprit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Holy cow that is crazy expensive. Wow! Could you just get a watchman goby or are they really expensive? Clown goby? What about a Royal Gramma Basslet?

GetFreshedAquariums

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Culprit said:
Holy cow that is crazy expensive. Wow! Could you just get a watchman goby or are they really expensive? Clown goby? What about a Royal Gramma Basslet?
Clown gobies are $20'so I could do 1 of those. I think watchman are kinda pricy. Royal Gammas are about $120.

Culprit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Wow fish are really expensive where your from. Doesn't really make sense cause you guys have a large reef. I think a clown goby would work, @Nart what do you think? Watchmen here are about $20, paired is $40 I think. Haven't seen how much a royal gramma is

GetFreshedAquariums

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Culprit said:
Wow fish are really expensive where your from. Doesn't really make sense cause you guys have a large reef. I think a clown goby would work, @Nart what do you think? Watchmen here are about $20, paired is $40 I think. Haven't seen how much a royal gramma is
Yeah you guys think $120 for an RBTA is a lot. $400 for an RBTA is considered cheap over here.
But back to my tank. I've decided that I'm going with 3-5 yellow coral/clown gobies and I'm going to fill the tank with morphs, rhods and a Ric or 2.
If you want please check my other threat about my 100L (26G) reef stocking.

Culprit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Would you link that thread? Thats crazy expensive!!! I'm sorry man that sucks. I don't think you can have multiple clown gobys in one tank. Most gobys are pretty territorial. What about a clown goby and a neon blue goby? I think that might work. What are your tanks dimensions?

Nart

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
3-5 clown gobies seems a bit over-stocked, but hey, that's just me.
Some people keep over-stocked tanks just fine. I'd personally go with 3 clown gobies maxed. with 5 clown gobies, it might dirty the tank too quick.

GetFreshedAquariums

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Nart said:
3-5 clown gobies seems a bit over-stocked, but hey, that's just me.
Some people keep over-stocked tanks just fine. I'd personally go with 3 clown gobies maxed. with 5 clown gobies, it might dirty the tank too quick.
Ok thanks. I'll stick to 3 then

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I wouldn't go more than 2. The recommended minimum for any saltwater fish is about 10 gallons, so even with the small gobies that is going to be pushing it pretty hard.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom