8 Gallon Cube Stocking

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by MattS99, Apr 18, 2017.

1. MattS99

MattS99Well Known MemberMember

Just found it in my parent's basement. If I take it, cycle it and such, what would you guys do in there, if anything can even go in there? And PLEASE don't say a betta. I've just had so many of them.

2. 2211Nighthawk

2211NighthawkFishlore VIPMember

Shrimp with live plants would look cool. I'm not brave enough to suggest much else. My other suggestion would have been guppies but they breed like rabbits and would overrun an 8g in a week.

3. bopsalot

bopsalotWell Known MemberMember

4. ashenwelt

ashenweltWell Known MemberMember

5. OP
    OP
    MattS99

Don't want to sound cocky, but I consider myself a bit of an expert on livebearers now, I've had so many over the years. I've found that one can be highly successful with all male guppies if you keep an even number.

6. ashenwelt

I always found 3 or more male livebearers myself. I would keep endlers over guppies in an 8 though. Maybe with some cherry shrimp and a nerrite or two (after biofilm and algae developes).

7. OP
    OP
    MattS99

I'll probably go with endlers, maybe the shrimp too. How many endlers would you put in there? And it will be heated and all that so don't worry. I have a long standing hatred for snails that I don't really feel like explaining. Any options that stand out to you for one of the small schooling fish, like a tetra, danio, etc.?

8. ashenwelt

Look on the 5 gallon stocking list... You have a LOT of options.

9. OP
    OP
    MattS99

I know. Just wanted to know if you had any favorites. Some people are very... Ignorant to the facts that these small tanks can work. I really appreciate your work because I've been keeping smaller tanks my whole life and I know that you can fit certain fish into smaller tanks. My 20 is actually the biggest I've ever owned. I'm in awe when I read about the huge tanks, like 100+ gallons on here.

10. ashenwelt

Its funny but its more work to keep a small tank stable than a large.

My favorites? Maybe Phoenix rasboras or CPDs. If you did Phoenix with some dark green moss and plants the reds would just shine like twinkle lights.

I am actually planning an 8 gallon as well. Just haven't decided what to do. Killis and Dario Dario are at the top of my list. Wish I could find Black Tiger Darios though... Those are incredible.

11. OP
    OP
    MattS99

All are beautiful fish. I'll still probably end up with Endlers though. Still a livebearer guy at heart. But you never know what you'll get until you end up at the LFS, and I think that is one of the best parts of our hobby.

12. justinmo

justinmoValued MemberMember

Can you give us the dimensions of the tank? We can't recommend anything without knowing what the actual tank size is.

13. ashenwelt

If an 8 gallon cube, I would normally figure its a little over 12 inches per side. May also be an old Fluval Ebi or Flora which is 11.8 per side and a little taller. Or somewhere in that realm. Just my thought when he said 8 gallon cube.

14. OP
    OP
    MattS99

It's an old Aqueon Evolve 8 if that helps. I think they're discontinued, actually. Still don't know if I'll do it because I don't have too much space for another tank. But if I do get it, I'm going to try for a real planted tank, not just a few random plants like my 20. I'd still prefer to do a few Endlers and shrimp, if possible. And yes, it'll be heated, filtered, cycled and all that.

15. ashenwelt

Then do endlers and shrimp. Actually you could do cardinal shrimp if you can find them... Bit pricey but seriously cool.

16. KimberlyG

KimberlyGFishlore VIPMember

Love my "Grateful Dead" fish! Don't know why I didn't know of them years ago. IMG_9195 2.JPG

17. OP
    OP
    MattS99

I've owned just about every livebearer there is, but I've never owned a pure Endler before. Had Endler/Guppy hybrids. If I can get creative and find somewhere to fit the tank, you guys will see it at some point.

18. grantm91

grantm91Fishlore VIPMember

These are cool, because the pic is a bit blury it looks like they have little orange legs lol

19. KimberlyG

KimberlyGFishlore VIPMember

Best picture I could get. My white cloud mountain minnows kept photobombing.

20. justinmo

justinmoValued MemberMember

I think endlers and shrimp would be fine, the dimensions seems to be about 13x13x13 or something close to that which is why I wouldn't recommend the schooling fish listed in the 5 gallon tank stocking list though.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice