8 Gallon Aquarium Stocking

1. CherryBarb123 Member Member

I am still sorting out my 55 gallon, so this won't be happening for a while, but I would really like to have a small nano tank alongside by larger one.

I used to have a 30 Litre tank, but I know I made all the wrong choices and my stocking choices were pretty bad and unsuitable.

I know there are a large number of microrasboras avaliable, which I quite like - inparticular the Celestial pearl danios, however they cost a fortune here!!

My question is, how limiting is it having a tank of around 8 US gallons (30 Litres)?

If there isn't much choice then I probably won't bother getting one, as I would like to set up a nice planted nano tank with a nice selection of attractive, natural looking fish (Not guppies!!)

Here are some fish I like:

Shrimp (Not sure what type, probably just cherry shrimp)
    Bettas
    Chilli Rasboras
    Celestial Pearl Danios
    Pygmy Cory Cats
    Cardinals (Don't know if 8 gallons is too small)

What would be a good total of fish, and what types are good? This is a consideration for later this year, but I want to work out whether it is a good idea or not now, so I know what I am doing

Another alternative would be the 46L Fluval Edge. Are these inpractical, like biOrbs? If I were to get a 46L Fluval edge what could I put in there?

So basically I am either considering a 46L Fluval Edge or a 30L Nano cube, and would like to know what I could put in either so I can make a decision whether or not it is worth going with one of the two or not

Thanks in advance.

2. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

Espi rasboras or the mentioned celestial pearls are great. There are some smaller killifish as well.

3. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

Well in a 8 gal you could do:

6 micro rasboras
    10 shrimp - red cherry would work, blue pearls are my personal favorite
    Or

1 betta and maybe a snail if the betta will tolerate one.

If the tank is long and not tall, you could divide it and have 2 bettas

I think cardinal tetrs would be a bit big, but neon tetras would work, If you wanted you could swap them out for the micro rasboras in the first list.

Or you could do endlers and shrimp- get all males if you don't want fry.

I think 8 gals ould be to small for even the pygmy cories.

4. jbdub Member Member

A betta could be an alternative, they're slow as well so could put a few small quick fish in with him. Just make sure they're not fin nippers(platy etc.)

5. fighter55 Member Member

I would go with the shrimp, I absolutely love the blue pearls, but red cherry are nice too. Pygmy cores, as small as they get, IMO they wouldn't have enough room, but you should hear from other people too. CPD's would work great in an 8 Gallon, and so would killifish(if you have access). Don't really know much about Chili Rasboras, and with bettas you can basically get a snail. Question to other people: Would an ADF work in an 8 gallon? They get along pretty well with bettas.

6. jerilovesfrogs Fishlore VIP Member

i would make it a shrimp tank....maybe with some small micro rasboras. plant it well...and i think you could have a nice little piece of zen

7. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

I agree I'd do shrimp and/or CPDs. A betta would look nice but personally I'd just do one, I wouldn't fuss with dividing it. I have a betta in a 10 gallon and love it. Although I may have to divide his tank and put a couple friends in there as some of my fry get older (guppy and mollys temp). I also think a few ADFs would look really nice. Maybe make it heavily planted with them?

There are quite a few good looking micro rasboras you just have to look for them they all look super cool tho.

8. CherryBarb123 Member Member

Thanks!

For the 46L FLuval edge, could I go with

10 x Chilli Rabsoras
    10 x Cherry Shrimp

Would a sparkling gourami be pushing it as well?

I would love to get CPDs, but they are expensive around here :(

9. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

:;wkGood Choice, I have the Rasboras and I love the little creatures!!:;wk

10. CherryBarb123 Member Member

I saw them in my LFS and just fell in love with them!

I am working out costs, so I have an idea how much it will cost. I want to do a nice planted tank with driftwood/bogwood. I was wondering, what would be some good plants to use. I want something that dosen't need fancy lighting, although I will be able to buy a substrate and liquid ferts or root tabs. What would be some ideal plants to get? I would like some that grow reasonibly tall, and then some foreground plants. I may be able to get C02 but I haven't looked into this. Please can someone explain how C02 works?

11. kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

I can't comment on the logistics of CO2 injection, it sounds pretty complicated to me! But as a former biology major, I can describe why it's needed. Plants take up carbon dioxide (CO2) and use the carbon to make sugar as food. Plants are autotrophs, meaning they make their own food, while we are heterotrophs, meaning we consume another substance (whether an autotroph or a heterotroph) to get our food. Anyway, there are two different cycles which plants utilize to create these sugars, one requires light and is done during the daytime; the other does not require light and is commonly referred to as the "dark cycle" though it is not done exclusively at night. This is why your plants require both substantial lighting, which varies from plant to plant, and also CO2. Some plants require more carbon than is naturally present in water, which is why you need either a liquid supplement (I've seen them, but I'm not sure if people usually avoid them) or a carbon dioxide injection system. There is a useful thread somewhere about making your own home-made system, involving bottles and live yeast, if you do not want to purchase one.

That was probably more information than you were looking for, so hopefully someone else can comment on the aquarium-related aspects :)

12. CherryBarb123 Member Member

Thanks!