8 gal Bio cube how many corys or mix?

1*Risk

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have a 2nd 8 gal bio cube how many corys can I squeeze there I understand the have a small bio load I was thinking the peppered corys and a gurami? Need your inputs please... My current set up seems to b great all within parameters.

Zenial

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
You have to love little cories! They're so cute!

8 gallon? Hrmmm.... Personally, I get a little uncomfortable putting anything in less the 10 gallon besides a betta.

3 peppered cories? Maybe 4?

Congrats on your second tank

Nick G

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
HI 1*Risk, Welcome to Fishlore! If you really want to keep a few Corys, perhaps you could look at the pygmys? These guys don't get as large as the regular guys.

Craig-D

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
As an owner of a biocube, I can assure you that they contain far less water in the display area than is stated because they include the capacity of the rear filter section in their capacity spec. As a result, the display section of your tank really only holds about 6 or 7 gallons of water empty and even less with substrate and decorations. That is too small for a school of cories I'm afraid. Although the filtration of a biocube is far superior than a typical HOB type filter, you're already maxed out with your current stock.

1*Risk

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks to everyone for their input. I am looking to get a 55 or larger any premium brands to go with glass? I only got they Biocube because it was $99 brand new at local store and read they have a great filtration system.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I hope the 2 gouramis and 2 corys in your aquarium info are not in the 8 gallon tank.

1*Risk

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Jaysee said:
I hope the 2 gouramis and 2 corys in your aquarium info are not in the 8 gallon tank.
Yes they are?

Craig-D

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
1*Risk said:
Thanks to everyone for their input. I am looking to get a 55 or larger any premium brands to go with glass? I only got they Biocube because it was $99 brand new at local store and read they have a great filtration system.

The biocube's filtration system is indeed unrivaled this side of anything except a canister filter. But the 8 gallon size is really best suited for a small reef aquarium. If you want a decent stocking of fish, the 14 or 29 gallon versions are the way to go.

Two gouramis are not going to get along very well in only 8 gallons of water and cories should be kept in at least a group of 4-5 in 10 gallons minimum.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm sorry, but none of those fish are suitable for your tank. emerald corys grow to over 4 inches and require a much, much larger tank. if you do a forum search for emerald cory, you'll find a thread of mine with a picture of a full grown one. Aside from that, corys ought to be kept in groups, the larger the better. 10 gallons is QUITE small, and many would agree its too small for corys. IMO a 30 inch long tank is needed, but I like my fish to have room to swim.

the 3 spot gouramI grows to 6 inches and can be pretty aggressive. A 29 is the minimum for 1. The DG would do the best out of the fish you have......

1*Risk

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Jaysee said:
I'm sorry, but none of those fish are suitable for your tank. emerald corys grow to over 4 inches and require a much, much larger tank. if you do a forum search for emerald cory, you'll find a thread of mine with a picture of a full grown one. Aside from that, corys ought to be kept in groups, the larger the better. 10 gallons is QUITE small, and many would agree its too small for corys. IMO a 30 inch long tank is needed, but I like my fish to have room to swim.

the 3 spot gouramI grows to 6 inches and can be pretty aggressive. A 29 is the minimum for 1. The DG would do the best out of the fish you have......
Actually I have a powder blue dwarf not a blue gm I just looked it up the recpt from the local Petsmart kid charged me for a blue gm???? Thanks I knew it wasn't a 3 spot gm you got me thinking and with a fish id I have to correct the name. I am currently closing on a home and will end up getting a 55 or larger........

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Still, the longterm success rate of keeping multiple DGs together is extremely low (a little better than keeping 2 bettas together).....even in larger tanks. I've heard many accounts of how 55 gallons wasn't enough. But in the end it all comes down to the individual personalities of the fish.

ExiledxAssassin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Well I got my 2 DG in a 30 gal together and they are doing perfectly fine, they are not fighting or being aggressive to any of my other fish.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
And how long have you had them together for??

1*Risk

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I just added the fire dg about a week ago. At first the blue gm was nipping his tail and chasing him around I kept a close eye the 1st day next day I woke up it was a miracle that both were getting along and 6 days later they are fine now. No more signs of aggressive behavior I have the tank in my office/den and I am there most of the time 6-8 hours a day. I thought for sure the fire dg had to go back I just love the blue dg he has a definite personality.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Sorry, I meant that for exiledxassasin.

1*Risk

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
No prob