8 dollars per pound reasonable?

ATP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Is 8 dollars per pound of figi rock acceptable?
Depends on what kind of fiji rock. Seing that price, I would assume you're looking at a store. Try looking one through craigslist or a local reef club. I've never purchased LR more than 2.50 a pound.

Flufeeh

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
If it's pre cured that's a good price is this at your local LFS?
Yes. It's not a chain store, and I don't know how to tell if it's cured. It is inside a gigantic aquarium with water and the rock also has a coral looking thing attached to it. Very soft, they go with the flow of the water. I can't describe them, it's like attached to the rock, some look like mushrooms. I wonder if this is an indicator of it being cured?

Stang Man

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If ther's coral attatched then it is cured with life I would buy it and skip the hassle of curing!!!! Go for it!!! * bucks for that here it is alot more than that my friend!!!

Flufeeh

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
If ther's coral attatched then it is cured with life I would buy it and skip the hassle of curing!!!! Go for it!!! * bucks for that here it is alot more than that my friend!!!
Is it really worth that much? 2.50 to 8 is a big difference. How long does it take to cure a um, dead live rock?

ATP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Curing is like to remove living organisms like sponges, corals, inverts, etc that are still on the rocks. The purpose of this is that some organisms can harm your reef. Another reason is that some organisms could be rotting. Sponges for example cannot be left out of water for too long. In wholesales, the rocks are sometimes left alone out of water for hours so the sponges will start to die and rot anc could pollute your water.

So dead rock does not require curing. It will require seedinf of live sand and probably a few pounds of live rock. The sand and live rock is to start some bacteria and as the tank progresses, bacteria will stay in the dead live rock turning them into live rock.

Stang Man

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Use rubble in a sump if you have one and buy base rock for bottom pieces and LR on top If you use dry rock it will work but just takes along time!!!!

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Is 8 dollars per pound of figi rock acceptable?
Depends on what kind of fiji rock. Seing that price, I would assume you're looking at a store. Try looking one through craigslist or a local reef club. I've never purchased LR more than 2.50 a pound.
So much of this is dependent on where you live IME. Before I moved, any live rock was $8-9 per pound. Craigslist deals were few and far between, and the local reef club wasn't all that active so not many deals there either. Once I came to the Atlanta area, I noticed how much cheaper everything is- live rock, fish, coral, even supplies and equipment. The reef club here is huge and there are Craigslist deals galore. Just wanted to point out that depending on where you live, $8 per pound might not be too bad. If you want, you can always order rock online and cure it yourself. It will cycle your tank for you in the process.

zeeter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
$8/lb for liverock with things growing on it isn't bad. Mine is $4.99/lb for regular cured and $8.99 for "premium". It's all fully cured.

I don't trust anyone on CL. For all I know the rock could have been sitting in his garage for the past year. Unless I know the person I prefer to deal with the LFS. Not only that, but the more I buy stuff from the LFS, the more they give me. I leave there with free frags just about every time I go there. Sometimes they'll throw in an extra fish or two. To me, the better you treat the LFS the better they'll treat you, so I pay a little extra for the service.

That said, if I was starting over from scratch I would most certainly buy from online and cure it during my tank cycle. At that point you're just wasting your money to buy anything premium.

Stang Man

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Online is good but the shipping depending on where from and where it needs to go $$$$$ There are several methods that can be approached as I listed in previous post It depends on which way to go.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom