79f Tank What Fish.?

  • Thread starter

Daniel Price

Valued Member
Messages
58
Reaction score
4
Points
18
The temp is 79 with heater in Florida. What fish can do well for beginner?
 

Buganjimo

Well Known Member
Messages
835
Reaction score
323
Points
78
Experience
2 years
What size tank is it?
 
  • Thread starter

Daniel Price

Valued Member
Messages
58
Reaction score
4
Points
18

Buganjimo

Well Known Member
Messages
835
Reaction score
323
Points
78
Experience
2 years
You could do a small school of glowlight tetras, or chili rasboras. Do you have any preference?
 
  • Thread starter

Daniel Price

Valued Member
Messages
58
Reaction score
4
Points
18
Buganjimo said:
You could do a small school of glowlight tetras, or chili rasboras. Do you have any preference?
not really
 

Becknewt24

Valued Member
Messages
490
Reaction score
105
Points
63
Experience
Just started
  • Thread starter

Daniel Price

Valued Member
Messages
58
Reaction score
4
Points
18
Becknewt24 said:
Do you know the nitrogen cycle?
it is being done right now. just getting a list of of fish. Is a tank at 76F ok without heater?
 

Abby565

Valued Member
Messages
441
Reaction score
206
Points
38
Experience
4 years
I'd recommend a betta, and the temp is good at 79 for one, 76 is to low.
 
  • Thread starter

Daniel Price

Valued Member
Messages
58
Reaction score
4
Points
18
What if the tank is 76F with no heater in Florida in the Tampa area? n0 fish in it now and is cycling.

Abby565 said:
I'd recommend a betta, and the temp is good at 79 for one, 76 is to low.
then i wont get a betta. Other sources keep on on saying that for most tropical fish 79F is stressful for them but still live but for a shorter time.

I am currently doing an one day temperature monitoring of the water to see how big the changes are in Florida housing and weather.
 

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Messages
33,057
Reaction score
9,023
Points
608
Experience
2 years
It's fine, just stock with fish that are happy at that temp. In the fall/winter, you can add a heater to keep it at 76 F or higher. If you want it higher now, add a heater.

It'll help it cycle faster if you increase the temp, at least while fishless cycling.

How are you cycling it?
 

Abby565

Valued Member
Messages
441
Reaction score
206
Points
38
Experience
4 years
Daniel Price said:
then i wont get a betta. Other sources keep on on saying that for most tropical fish 79F is stressful for them but still live but for a shorter time.
If you get a Betta, you can't get any other fish so that wouldn't matter. For the majority of tropical fish, 79 is a good temp. But every species has a different temp requirement, for example, neon tetras prefer temps in the low 70s, while bettas like 78-80.
Keeping a fish above their idea temp can shorten their lifespan.
 
  • Thread starter

Daniel Price

Valued Member
Messages
58
Reaction score
4
Points
18
Abby565 said:
If you get a Betta, you can't get any other fish so that wouldn't matter. For the majority of tropical fish, 79 is a good temp. But every species has a different temp requirement, for example, neon tetras prefer temps in the low 70s, while bettas like 78-80.
Keeping a fish above their idea temp can shorten their lifespan.
i understand that. it is just that many sources have different recommended temp range. If i get a betta, then i can't really put a snail with it because i am told it would be harassed. I do want some type of clean up crew.

TexasDomer said:
It's fine, just stock with fish that are happy at that temp. In the fall/winter, you can add a heater to keep it at 76 F or higher. If you want it higher now, add a heater.

It'll help it cycle faster if you increase the temp, at least while fishless cycling.

How are you cycling it?
two flakes, and media from another tank, has 2.0 ammonia or less when last checked. stores out of test strips. will test again on weekend at store. has java moss
 

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Messages
33,057
Reaction score
9,023
Points
608
Experience
2 years
  • Thread starter

Daniel Price

Valued Member
Messages
58
Reaction score
4
Points
18

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Messages
33,057
Reaction score
9,023
Points
608
Experience
2 years
The store uses strip tests, which aren't that accurate. And you have to drive to the store. Save you time and money to get your own liquid test kit.
 
  • Thread starter

Daniel Price

Valued Member
Messages
58
Reaction score
4
Points
18
TexasDomer said:
The store uses strip tests, which aren't that accurate. And you have to drive to the store. Save you time and money to get your own liquid test kit.
mine uses the master kit and down the street from me and i sadly get 10 a week and i am a college student who can't even get a sign spinner job even though i got no criminal record or any undesired quality. Can't get a job just because i was forced to prioritized grades over job and car. (sorry got emotional, just afford a test kit yet)
 

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Messages
33,057
Reaction score
9,023
Points
608
Experience
2 years
Sorry, I assumed the store used test strips because you said they were out of them. Hopefully you can get your own test in the future!
 

Becknewt24

Valued Member
Messages
490
Reaction score
105
Points
63
Experience
Just started
Abby565 said:
If you get a Betta, you can't get any other fish so that wouldn't matter. For the majority of tropical fish, 79 is a good temp. But every species has a different temp requirement, for example, neon tetras prefer temps in the low 70s, while bettas like 78-80.
Keeping a fish above their idea temp can shorten their lifespan.
You could get other fish, but they would probably get stressed out.

Daniel Price said:
i understand that. it is just that many sources have different recommended temp range. If i get a betta, then i can't really put a snail with it because i am told it would be harassed. I do want some type of clean up crew.
More likely than not, a snail won't get harassed.
 
  • Thread starter

Daniel Price

Valued Member
Messages
58
Reaction score
4
Points
18
is 79F (with heater) too warm for most tropical fish
If it is, then it is good for betta. what can live happily with a betta.
(im in Florida, is just letting be with out a heater a good idea?)
 

penguin02

Well Known Member
Messages
1,459
Reaction score
967
Points
148
Experience
3 years
Depends on the fish, but a betta should do fine at that temperature.
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom