79f Tank What Fish.?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Daniel Price, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Daniel PriceValued MemberMember

The temp is 79 with heater in Florida. What fish can do well for beginner?

2. BuganjimoWell Known MemberMember

What size tank is it?

3. Daniel PriceValued MemberMember

10 gal

4. BuganjimoWell Known MemberMember

You could do a small school of glowlight tetras, or chili rasboras. Do you have any preference?

5. Daniel PriceValued MemberMember

not really

6. Becknewt24Valued MemberMember

7. Daniel PriceValued MemberMember

it is being done right now. just getting a list of of fish. Is a tank at 76F ok without heater?

8. Abby565Valued MemberMember

I'd recommend a betta, and the temp is good at 79 for one, 76 is to low.

9. Daniel PriceValued MemberMember

What if the tank is 76F with no heater in Florida in the Tampa area? n0 fish in it now and is cycling.

then i wont get a betta. Other sources keep on on saying that for most tropical fish 79F is stressful for them but still live but for a shorter time.

I am currently doing an one day temperature monitoring of the water to see how big the changes are in Florida housing and weather.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2018
  10. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

It's fine, just stock with fish that are happy at that temp. In the fall/winter, you can add a heater to keep it at 76 F or higher. If you want it higher now, add a heater.

It'll help it cycle faster if you increase the temp, at least while fishless cycling.

How are you cycling it?

11. Abby565Valued MemberMember

If you get a Betta, you can't get any other fish so that wouldn't matter. For the majority of tropical fish, 79 is a good temp. But every species has a different temp requirement, for example, neon tetras prefer temps in the low 70s, while bettas like 78-80.
    Keeping a fish above their idea temp can shorten their lifespan.

12. Daniel PriceValued MemberMember

i understand that. it is just that many sources have different recommended temp range. If i get a betta, then i can't really put a snail with it because i am told it would be harassed. I do want some type of clean up crew.

two flakes, and media from another tank, has 2.0 ammonia or less when last checked. stores out of test strips. will test again on weekend at store. has java moss

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2018
  13. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

I would get a liquid test kit. More accurate, and ammonia tests are included. Cheaper per test, too.

14. Daniel PriceValued MemberMember

the tests are free

15. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

The store uses strip tests, which aren't that accurate. And you have to drive to the store. Save you time and money to get your own liquid test kit.

16. Daniel PriceValued MemberMember

mine uses the master kit and down the street from me and i sadly get 10 a week and i am a college student who can't even get a sign spinner job even though i got no criminal record or any undesired quality. Can't get a job just because i was forced to prioritized grades over job and car. (sorry got emotional, just afford a test kit yet)

17. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

Sorry, I assumed the store used test strips because you said they were out of them. Hopefully you can get your own test in the future!

18. Becknewt24Valued MemberMember

You could get other fish, but they would probably get stressed out.

More likely than not, a snail won't get harassed.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2018
  19. Daniel PriceValued MemberMember

is 79F (with heater) too warm for most tropical fish
    If it is, then it is good for betta. what can live happily with a betta.
    (im in Florida, is just letting be with out a heater a good idea?)

20. penguin02Well Known MemberMember

Depends on the fish, but a betta should do fine at that temperature.