75g Tank - Giant Danios And Blood Parrots

ystrout

Hi,

I currently have a 20G long with danios and tetras. Sometime in the near future, I plan to get another tank, a 75G. I NEED giant danios. They're awesome, one of my favorite looking/acting fish of all time. I was going to get about 5 or 6 of them.

I was thinking about putting some roseline sharks in there too. But my girlfriend just discovered blood parrots and fell in love with that little smile they always have. She wants some of them. So I was thinking about doing my school of giant danios, and a couple blood parrots for her and just not getting the roselines.

Would the danios and blood parrots do well together? She said she wants 3, but I think that will be too much for a 75G, right? I know from a filtration standpoint (probably a Fluval 406 filter), it would be fine. But I'm more concerned that the blood parrots might be too cramped because I thought they were pretty territorial towards each other.

Also, would the BPs and GDs get along? I feel like they would since they're similarly sized, and danios GENERALLY won't pick on other fish, and nothing (similarly sized) can really pick on them since they're such strong, active, and fast fish.

BottomDweller

BPs need warmer water than giant danios

grantm91

JesseMoreira06

Dension barbs highest temp range is 77f which wouldn't be ideal all year long , I wouldn't keep them any higher then 75f. Blood parrots need warmer temps 78f+

grantm91

Any suggestions then lol, I never had dension barbs they look so good every time I see them.

JesseMoreira06

grantm91 said:
Any suggestions then lol, I never had dension barbs they look so good every time I see them.
They are very nice fish and get nice in size.

For the OP

I would do 8 Congo Tetras or 8 bosemanI Rainbows.

and in a 75 gallon I would only do 2 BP IMO

I would suggest

2 BP
8 Congo Tetras or 8 BosemanI Rainbows
10 Columbian Tetras or Lemons Tetras
15 SterbaI Corys
1 Green Phantom Pleco

Depending on aggressiveness of the BP , IMO there's room for a EBA or Rainbow Cichlid.

vikingkirken

I'd suggest you get your girlfriend hooked on electric blue acaras instead, which are stunningly beautiful, have great personalities, and will do fine in the low-mid 70s

JesseMoreira06

vikingkirken said:
I'd suggest you get your girlfriend hooked on electric blue acaras instead, which are stunningly beautiful, have great personalities, and will do fine in the low-mid 70s
Diffenetly if the OP is willing to do without the blood parrots then he could have the giant danios.

ystrout

Wow, I like those electric blues.... Very cool looking.

If I got a school of Giant Danios, how many of them do you think I should get? Prob 2?

JesseMoreira06

if you didn't do BP you could do something like this

1 Severum
1 Electric Blue Acara
2 Bolivian Rams (male/female)
10-12 Giant Danio
15 Panda or Peperred corys

vikingkirken

ystrout said:
Wow, I like those electric blues.... Very cool looking.

If I got a school of Giant Danios, how many of them do you think I should get? Prob 2?
In a 75, you could definitely have two electric blue acaras plus a good-sized school of giant danios. You have room for more, too... what else do you like?

ystrout

vikingkirken said:
In a 75, you could definitely have two electric blue acaras plus a good-sized school of giant danios. You have room for more, too... what else do you like?
I like roseline sharks. Think I can fit some of them too?

JesseMoreira06

ystrout said:
I like roseline sharks. Think I can fit some of them too?
you can but in my opinion would have to choose between the giant danios or Denison barbs since they get to 4.5" or potentially making a smaller school of each instead of 12 , 8 of each, but larger schools of one specie are better IMO.

ystrout

If I do 10-ish giant danios, and a couple electric blues, would I be able to put any tetras or anything? Like bloodfins? Or rummynoses?

Or would the bigger fish pick on them?

ystrout

Or what about small species of danois? Like glow zebra danios?

I want some fish to contract the blue of the giant danois and electric blues.

vikingkirken

I think denisons would be fine, but like Jesse said, do smaller schools.

Gold barbs or millennium rainbows would also hold their own just fine in there, and either of those would give you really brilliant contrast.

You could also add something like a rainbow cichlid or firemouth.

Top Bottom