75g Stocking Ideas?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by walkingspanish, Apr 20, 2017.

1. walkingspanish

walkingspanishValued MemberMember

I recently bought a complete 125g setup from a guy off of Craigslist. Once I have the new tank and its equipment cleaned out and set up, I will have an empty 75 gallon sitting in my bedroom.

My goldies will be going into the big tank with a of couple golden dojo loaches, but I want start keeping other kinds of fish. Anything that's pretty or has a good personality would be great!

2. tyguy7760

tyguy7760Fishlore VIPMember

Are you interested in more tropical fish for this tank or keeping with the cold water theme? Are you interested in smaller schooling fish or larger fish like cichlids with more personality?

3. OP
    OP
    walkingspanish

Anything, really. Or wait until I move out and get a good job so I can keep a reef tank lol.

4. Jamieson22

Jamieson22Well Known MemberMember

Electric Blue Acara and/or German Blue Rams fit the bill. Add a few Angelfish as well, a shoal of Sterbai Cory and some snails.

5. tyguy7760

tyguy7760Fishlore VIPMember

Well I'm a cichlid person as I really enjoy the personality of the larger fish so let's look at some options. Really there are so many as you pretty much have a blank slate

Coldwater tank (keep it around 72)
    5-6 Gymnogeophagus Balzani
    10 Buenos Aires Tetras
    10 Peppered Corydoras

Tropical Tank with large fish
    1 Rotkiel Severum
    1 Angelfish
    1 EB Acara
    8-10 Lemon Tetras
    3 Hoplo Catfish/10 Aeneus Corydoras

Tropical with all small fish
    10 Lemon Tetras
    15 Cardinal Tetras
    2 Apistogramma Cacatuoides
    2 Bolivian Rams

Blood Parrot Tank
    3 Blood Parrots
    8 Diamond Tetras
    3 Hoplo Catfish

6. JGombs99

JGombs99Well Known MemberMember

Just thought I'd give my perspective. I'm still too much of a beginner to give much stocking advice, but my personal favorite stocking theme is a large centerpiece fish, and some good sized schooling fish to go around it. I have a Blood parrot, Cories, Rainbows, and Congo tetras in my 55 gallon that I'm all but certain I'll upgrade at some point.

I love the larger schoolers, and can't wait for them to grow larger. I'd recommend looking into both, but I'd also recommend really paying attention to any advice from tyguy7760. My tank wouldn't be anywhere near what it is if it weren't for tyguy7760 (and a few others)!

7. OP
    OP
    walkingspanish

I have to look all of these up! Thank you for your response, I'll definitely post an update soon after I make my descision!