75g project

1. SilverDollarCity909 Initiate Member

I bought a tank and stand from Craigslist and when I got to the person's house, they wanted to give me two common plecos and a stripped Raphael catfish with the tank.
    I've had multiple tanks in the past, but they all had artificial decor. I want to try my hand at a biotope tank. Would this work?
    One site said there'd be no plants at all, just rocks and driftwood, but another said it would have at least 6 different species of plants.

2. echi1 Well Known Member Member

Depends if you look at different amazon biotopes some have driftwood, rocks and many different plants and some are just sand and driftwood. Common plecos can grow up to 18" eventually needing to be rehoused and they are also territorial when it comes to 2 males. If you have 1 male and 1 female you will have fry in a well setup tank, especially if you do a large water change with slightly colder water. Which simulates rain in their minds. Striped raphael catfish can reach 9.5" and will eat any fish they can fit in its mouth. They can also live up to 20 years! You could do a amazon biotope, because they live in the amazon. And you can have angelfish with your raphael catfish. You might be able to have bristlenose plecos, as they get maybe 4-6". Mine stopped growing at around 4", but mine is also female. I think females are bigger... They are easy to tell the gender, males have a big mess of bristles on top of his mouth and females look like they have a mustache!
    :giggle: Maybe someone here can give you the size mouth of their striped raphael catfish. Good luck with your fish!

3. echi1 Well Known Member Member

Forgot to mention if your catfish doesn't figure out it can eat the smaller fish you can probably keep smaller amazon fish like rummy nosed tetras. Also how big are your plecos and catfish?

4. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

I don't see a common being a good fit for a 75, and two commons together in a tank that size would be World War III. And yes, the Raphael will eat any fish that he can. echi1 is definitely right about that.

5. SilverDollarCity909 Initiate Member

The plecos are about three inches each. The Raphael catfish is about two inches.
    All three have grown a lot since I got them. The lady didn't use dechlorinators and she used a 10g filter on a 75g tank.

6. echi1 Well Known Member Member

Whoa... Glad you took them in. Maybe your LFS will take the plecos.

7. SilverDollarCity909 Initiate Member

Lfs?

8. AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

Local fish store. You can call them up to see if they can rehome fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

9. SilverDollarCity909 Initiate Member

I've got to find one first.. other than petsmart... I dont trust them.