75 Gallon Tank 75g Planted Tank Filtration Advice

darrylzuk

I'm planning a new 75g planted tank and I'm trying to figure out my filtration needs. I want to keep a mix of South American fish, including a group of angel fish, so I'm trying to balance adequate filtration with an appropriate amount of flow that would irritate or overwhelm the angels. My current display tank is a 29g planted tank with an Aquaclear 70 and a Marineland Penguin Pro 175. It's pretty heavily stocked (AqAdvisor suggests I'm at ~127%), but I have zero issues with ammonia or nitrites, and because it's so heavily planted I never get any nitrates levels either.

I want to aim for the same balance in this new 75, but I have some ideas for growing some plants out of the tank at the top hanging from the rim either in the water (pothos, peace lily, monstera) or on the back (orchids, ferns), so I was leaning towards using canisters instead of HOBs. I'm new to aquarium canisters, but I've had a koi + goldfish pond for 20+ years so the concept isn't completely foreign.

I really like the Fluval x07 line of filters (they're 20% off right now at Petco), and was think I could run a pair of them. Question being, what size/model would I need? I think the limiting factor is providing enough mechanical filtration, as one on its own plus all the plants, substrate, driftwood and glass will provide more than enough surface area for biological filtration.

Would two 207s suffice? Two 307s? One 207 and one 307? Keep it mind I don't want to be blowing the angels all over the tank. Would adding a powerhead like the SICCE Voyager Nano 1000 or Fluval Sea CP1 get me the flow I need, allowing me to use the less powerful canisters, or would it just add extra (probably superfluous) current? Thanks in advance for all the help and advice!

Thunder_o_b

I don't know the brands you mention. I have kept and bred angels over the years. I have the flow from the filters at 10x (or greater) the water in the aquarium per hour, never had issues.

I use at least two filters on aquariums over 10 gallons. Mostly a combination of HOB and canisters.

darrylzuk

I don't know the brands you mention. I have kept and bred angels over the years. I have the flow from the filters at 10x (or greater) the water in the aquarium per hour, never had issues.

I use at least two filters on aquariums over 10 gallons. Mostly a combination of HOB and canisters.
Thanks for sharing! I might not shoot for 10x flow, but it is good to know the angels won't be bothers by that amount of flow. It seems like two 307s makes the most sense out of all my options. I could do one FX4, but then I lose the redundancy of a second canister if it goes down for some reason.

You must be registered to see images

Fisch

I had the 306 for a year in my 55gl, and now just upgraded to a 407. The flow difference is enormeous and it seems the 407 is more efficient. Yes it has a stronger flow, but that can be reduced by a spraybar. The fish seem to be more active on the higher filtration and the agitation of the water seems to be better getting the oxygen into the tank. Filtration is more effortless with the bigger filter. My backup filter is a sponge filter stack in the tank.

Gudgie

We run both a 407 and a 306 on our 75 gallon. We added a spray bar to the 407, but not to the 306. Has been more than enough filtration for our tank! With light stocking you could probably get by with just a 407, but I’d rather overfilter than underfilter (plus there’s a backup if one ever went down). Other option would one of the FX series as you suggested - one would be more than enough on its own for a 75.

86 ssinit

I’m running a 90g with 5 discus and 2 angels. I’ve been using a tidal 110 and a marineland 250. I change water weekly at 50% and clean one of these filters every week in wc water. Been running for 3 yrs now.

RayClem

Due to the surface area of a 75 gallon tank, water flow is not likely to be a problem. Having two filters, one at each end of the tank is ideal. Since you have an Aquaclear 70 now, I would suggest one of the filters be an Aquaclear 110. The second filter could be another HOB or a canister filter.

In you are considering a canister filter,you might want to look at the SunSun HW 3000 filter. This is a 5 stage filter with a variable speed pump and a 9 watt UV lamp. The filter is rated at up on 793 gph which is great on a 75 gallon tank, but I have the flow reduced to 50% for use on a 40 gallon breeder. The filter has four trays that you can equip with sponge pads, lava rock, pumice stone (Seachem Matrix) or other types of media. I have sponges in one tray, Biohome Ultimate in two of trays and Matrix in the last tray. I hate dismantling canister filters for cleaning, so I use a prefilter sponge on the large intake tube. I clean the prefilter monthly and the canister every few months. The nice thing about SunSun filters is that replacement parts can be ordered easily online if something fails. Mine has been running about 1 1/2 years with no issues. I only run the UV lamp 4 hours per day, so I have not had to replace it.

Dunk2

I'm planning a new 75g planted tank and I'm trying to figure out my filtration needs. I want to keep a mix of South American fish, including a group of angel fish, so I'm trying to balance adequate filtration with an appropriate amount of flow that would irritate or overwhelm the angels. My current display tank is a 29g planted tank with an Aquaclear 70 and a Marineland Penguin Pro 175. It's pretty heavily stocked (AqAdvisor suggests I'm at ~127%), but I have zero issues with ammonia or nitrites, and because it's so heavily planted I never get any nitrates levels either.

I want to aim for the same balance in this new 75, but I have some ideas for growing some plants out of the tank at the top hanging from the rim either in the water (pothos, peace lily, monstera) or on the back (orchids, ferns), so I was leaning towards using canisters instead of HOBs. I'm new to aquarium canisters, but I've had a koi + goldfish pond for 20+ years so the concept isn't completely foreign.

I really like the Fluval x07 line of filters (they're 20% off right now at Petco), and was think I could run a pair of them. Question being, what size/model would I need? I think the limiting factor is providing enough mechanical filtration, as one on its own plus all the plants, substrate, driftwood and glass will provide more than enough surface area for biological filtration.

Would two 207s suffice? Two 307s? One 207 and one 307? Keep it mind I don't want to be blowing the angels all over the tank. Would adding a powerhead like the SICCE Voyager Nano 1000 or Fluval Sea CP1 get me the flow I need, allowing me to use the less powerful canisters, or would it just add extra (probably superfluous) current? Thanks in advance for all the help and advice!
I’m running 2 AquaClear 110s on my 75.

Before the 110s, I had a Marineland 360C canister and Tidal 75 on the tank. IMO, the 2 110s provide better filtration.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
fishferfun
Replies
Views
Islandvic
Replies
Views
aussieJJDude
Replies
Views