75g planted riverine tank

WetRootsNH

I am letting my 75 gallon balance after a complete teardown and dirting. After it settles in I want to restock it.
Here's the idea:
75g dirted, heavily planted, river rocks, high flow, very high light, CO2.
Already have experience with dirt, high light, and CO2.
Lights:
2x Chihiros wrgb120. Will probably need to be dimmed down quite a bit but will definitely help generate some biofilm for the fish I have in mind.
Filters and flow:
Fluval FX4 which I plan to convert to a spray bar rather than the duck bills. This will be for filtration and for CO2 with my reactor.
Ice cap 3k (it's a gyre style pump with 3000gph pontential)
I am very curious to see how the plants will react to extreme flow.
My plants are from all over the place as I love plants too much to force myself into a specific locale but I want the fish to be specific to asia. Why? I couldn't tell you, I just seem to like Asian fish and my favorite plants are from asia.
I want to go nano in regards to fish species. Let's say, 1.5 inches as adults... maybe some wiggle room in there.
Currently, I am thinking:
Rosy loaches
Danio choprea
Borneo suckers aka, dwarf hillstream loaches (I refuse to call them butterfly plecos or stingrays plecos)
What I'm not sure on is school sizes and if there's anything else I should consider.
Was thinking maybe 20 each of the rosies and the danios. Maybe 6 of the dwarf hillstreams?
Anyone have any opinions?

MissNoodle

Wasp catfish. Gonna throw those in there as a suggestion too

WetRootsNH

MissNoodle said:
Wasp catfish. Gonna throw those in there as a suggestion too
I'll look them up!
Thank you for the suggestion.

WetRootsNH

So, I looked them up. They read off like a perfect checklist for everything I want to accomplish and are super cool looking. Then I read about their apparently excruciating sting... call me a wuss but since I'm going heavy planted as well as the high flow, I can just imagine some oops moments happening when I've got my hands digging around in the plants. Then again, I've had loaches and cories and never had an incident.
What is the general consensus on bamboo shrimp? I figure the high flow would be perfect for them.

MissNoodle

WetRootsNH said:
So, I looked them up. They read off like a perfect checklist for everything I want to accomplish and are super cool looking. Then I read about their apparently excruciating sting... call me a wuss but since I'm going heavy planted as well as the high flow, I can just imagine some oops moments happening when I've got my hands digging around in the plants. Then again, I've had loaches and cories and never had an incident.
What is the general consensus on bamboo shrimp? I figure the high flow would be perfect for them.
Bamboo shrimp are really cool, they would do well id think.

As for the wasp cats, yeah that's a risk with many catfish. They tend to bury in the substrate too, but given their tiny size, id think a good pair of gloves could counter that if its something still to consider. I believe they have gloves available for reef tanks?

Theyre a dream fish of my own too, but my current tank isn't a good set up for them

WetRootsNH

Does anyone have any thoughts on the school sizes I listed?
Too big? Not anywhere near too big? How large could the schools go and which would you go larger on if you would? I feel like if I'm going to go larger the danios would have a better visual effect.

WetRootsNH

One bump just to see if I can get some opinions.
Never been terribly good at stocking fish. Got the plants covered.
75g
20 Rosy loaches
20 Glowlight danios
6 Borneo suckers
4 Bamboo shrimp
How does that sound? Too much? Not even close?
I suppose I can just go with aqadvisor as a base line and see how the tank balances out.

WetRootsNH

Now that I'm done with my move and the forums seem more active. Anyone have any opinions on the above stocking? Do the numbers check out in your opinion?

WetRootsNH

SnookusFish said:
How about some white cloud mountain minnows, asian and live in rivers...?
I have been back and forth on them for a very long time. I absolutely love them but am wondering if 3 schools would be too much visually in a 75 gallon or if they school loosely. I very much want tight schools for the upper fish as I feel that with the high flow conditions it's going to be gorgeous watching them flow back and forth.
In your opinion do wcmm school tight or loose? I had heard that Danio Choprea school loosely but in the 10% of max current I currently have, they are schooling very tight.
The poor cardinal tetras are huddled behind any rock they can find.
Oddly, the SterbaI Cory's from my previous setup are seemingly in love with the higher flow. Have we been keeping them in lower currents than they prefer? Or did I just not know this about them?

SnookusFish

From what ive seen they stay reasonably close but will separate to dart in and out of plants. For a tight school rummy nose tetras are one of the best with similar colours to wcmm
Are you looking for a large centerpiece or a shoal of smaller fish?
Have u got a photo it could help people advise you on what would look good

WetRootsNH

SnookusFish said:
From what ive seen they stay reasonably close but will separate to dart in and out of plants. For a tight school rummy nose tetras are one of the best with similar colours to wcmm
Are you looking for a large centerpiece or a shoal of smaller fish?
Have u got a photo it could help people advise you on what would look good
So I'm looking specifically for fish from SE asia. My plants are gradually headed that way anyway so I'd like the fish to head there as well.
Definitely no centerpiece or larger fish. Just big schools.
I have already acquired a small school of the danio choprea. 6.
Really want the rosy loaches but I'm not convinced they can handle the GPH of my setup.
It's going to be set up for a dwarf hillstream but planted.
Picture, a steep slope stream in Borneo....
The icecap is a gyre pump. Kind of like a wave maker but more directional. I have it a 10% capacity while I still have my Cardinals. But it can do 3000gph.
Coupled with my 700+Gph filter and it's quite a bit.
Mostly this is for the dwarf hillstream loaches but also to experiment with my plants.
Best case would be 6 of the borneo suckers, a two large schools of something else. One of which I'm sold on. (The danio choprea.)
Just not sure on what numbers can fit in a 75 gallon comfortably. And if the Rosie's will be okay.
Thank you very much for getting back to me!

WetRootsNH

The first picture (heavily planted) is what my tank looked like a a long time ago.
The second (sparce) is what my tank looks like after two lackluster moves where it did not do so well.
High hopes for my newest setup!!!
20190505_211925.jpg

20200224_165257.jpg

SnookusFish

wow that first pic looks great and I really like the new hardscape. I think a perfect fish would be the five banded barb which looks similar to a tiger barb but super peaceful and active schoolers
good luck!

WetRootsNH

SnookusFish said:
wow that first pic looks great and I really like the new hardscape. I think a perfect fish would be the five banded barb which looks similar to a tiger barb but super peaceful and active schoolers
good luck!
Thank you!
I really loved how my tank looked back then but it got kind of... boring?
I really wanted to do something different. Something that hadn't been done much. It seems that maybe it hasn't been done at all? I guess I will just go with it and report my progress or problems?
I'm not too worried about the plants. It seems that I have a green thumb as long as the plants in question don't need to be watered (yay for planted tanks!)
I was more just wondering about school sizes.
I think given the small sizes of the fish in question that two schools of 20 - 30 are okay.
And the hillstreams should round that out nicely.

SnookusFish

Those danios look so good I might have to get some myself and the best thing is that they won't mix with the tetras
Sometimes a mix of tetras breaks up the shoal
I think that school size is good for the tetras maybe go for a slightly smaller school of danios than tetras eg tetras 30 danios 20
Should look great send photos when done!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom