75g Planted Build

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by jmako, Apr 11, 2018.

1. j

jmako New Member Member

Hi all, I’m looking for suggestions on setting up my 75g planted tank. I wasn’t sure if I should post this here as a planted new build or under invertebrates. I plan to keep shrimp & tetras (maybe bloodfin or cardinal). I plan to use a Current Satellite Plus full spectrum LED light & canister filter. However I don’t want to have to invest in a co2 system. I was going to use Caribsea Eco-Complete for my substrate. To give the foreground some contrast I was thinking about a sandy section with the rest of the tank black Eco-Compete. Thoughts? My big fear is the co2. I want easy plants, grass, mosses. Will I be able to grow them without pumping in co2? I’m currently perusing through “show off your fish tank”, but if anyone can relate to this specific type of build and would care to share your thoughts, ideas, suggestions, pics, etc, please feel free. Thanks in advance!

2. a

abovo Valued Member Member

I think you'll need a divider in the substrate to keep your beach. My tank had eco-complete and sand but it didn't take too long for the substrate to mix. By the time I took the tank down a few years later everything was just mixed. In my experience the eco-complete was great for growing plants in the first two years or so. After that I used capsules with osmocote to supplement nutrients to the plants.

What are the dimensions of your tank? I don't have a lot of experience with moss or grass but I think you're going to need a decent amount of lighting. My tank was too deep to get a good carpet going.

3. OP
    OP
    j

jmako New Member Member

Makes sense with a divider. The tank is 48Lx18Wx21H. The light I looked at has 96 6500K White LEDs paired with 48 full-spectrum RGB LEDs.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice