75g Goldfish Tank 75 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Mrs.Price, Dec 26, 2012.

1. Mrs.Price

Mrs.Price Valued Member Member

I'm getting a 75g tank fairly shortly, whenever this blizzard in Ohio blows over and I can pick it up. I'd like to add some more goldfish to my tank.

My current stock:
    1 Ryukin
    6 Danios

What I am thinking about:
    3 Ryukins
    12 Danios

I think a schooling of 12 would be rather neat, although I am open to a school of 6 of a different species, however, they must be big enough, like the danios, to not get eaten by my Goldies (so White Cloud Mountain Minnows are out of the question, but I do find them beautiful). Someone else suggested some Bloodfin Tetra, which wouldn't be a bad idea. I also hesitate to add anymore than 3 goldfish, but I am open to suggestions. (not interested in really anything other than Ryukins at this current time... although I do very much like Orandas, but I've found my Ryukin to be a hardy and aggressive eater, and I'm not sure an Oranda could keep up with him and I've also found Orandas to be quite sensitive to a number of things. So, if you had a 75 Gallon with 1 Ryukin and 6 danios, would would you do/suggest?

(I've got over filtration covered, so it needn't be a worry.)

2. A

AlexAlex Well Known Member Member

Bloodfin Tetras would be a great school if you decide not to up the school on the Danios. :)

3. freak78

freak78 Well Known Member Member

Once the bloodfins get use to their new environment their red on their fins will really stand out.

4. baggy007

baggy007 Well Known Member Member

how about some kerri tetra? beautiful fish and not known as a fin nipper which has to be considered with your ryukin

5. OP
    OP
    Mrs.Price

Thank you all for your feedback, thought I'd get a little more! Well, there is always tomorrow! :)

6. Meeps83

Meeps83 Well Known Member Member

What about Emperor Tetras?

7. OP
    OP
    Mrs.Price

Oooo, I really like those :3... just wonder if I'll be able to find them!

8. baggy007

baggy007 Well Known Member Member

Harpua a member here has kerri tetra but i cant remember if he ships or has any atm

9. Akari_32

Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

I find bloodfins to be horrible fin attackers (not nipper; shredders, mutilators and killers!). I'd not do them with slow moving fancy goldfish.

I like the danio idea, though they can be nippy too, so keep an eye on them.

If your Ryukin is pushy (they tend to be), then I keep it with other ryukins, or maybe Fantails. Dont do marenthan three goldfish as a temp home. Since your guy is small, you could easily do more for now, provided you had a plan for the future. Fancy goldfish put on their guts the first year or so of their lives, rather than length.

Also, in a 75, you could keep your common. Just throwing that out there :;th

10. kb9plc

kb9plc Well Known Member Member

Harpua's stock changes on a regular basis. She can be a bit hard to get a hold of too. She quite literally has a garage turned into a fish shop. So she has her hands full. LOL! But I can vouch for her stock and shipping abilities. :) Great fishies.

The user name to pm is harpua2002

11. Akari_32

She also has a website :;th

12. OP
    OP
    Mrs.Price

75 is what the ryukins will be in, are you saying 3 would be too much? From my understanding a 75 would be perfect for three.

Thanks for the tips on the bloodfins, I didn't find them that attractive anyway ;)

I may still stick with the danios, thus far, in the 6 months I've had my danios they haven't bothered the goldfish and seem to steer clear of him! lol

Thank ya kindly!

13. Akari_32

I ment more than 3 as a permanent home LOL Fishloring with the flu is apparently not a good idea :;laughing Three fully grown fancy goldfish is perfect for a 75, and if you didn't mind the extra work, a fourth would be be fine, too. However, as something to think about, Ryukins, Orandas and Moors are the largest of the Fancy Goldfish.

14. OP
    OP
    Mrs.Price

haha, hope you feel better! ;)

I was thinking just the 3 for the moment, after I get this tank setup I'm stilling going to need to purchase a second filter to help with bioload, I'm equipped, knowledgeable and experienced with managing it without the second filter, but I don't want to put too much strain on the system if I can help it... don't want to push it too far until I have the appropriate equipment, like the second filter!

Ryukins and Orandas are my favorite :3 Just sticking with Ryu's right now since I can't mix them.. maybe one day I'll have an Oranda tank :) Not just yet though...

15. Akari_32

Haha, thanks. McDonald's chicken nuggets make everything better :p

Three is good. The danios won't add much of a bioload. You might try a small sump for filtration?

You may not have a problem with mixing them. I have a Ryukin, two orandas, and a moor together.

16. OP
    OP
    Mrs.Price

I love my nuggets with honey! MmmMmmGood!

I've never done a sump before, would have to research and look into that. If it's going to cost me more than $50-$60 to do, then it's something that's going to have to wait, as I don't have that kind of money to spend... by they have a good deal on a Fluval C4 filter on amazon for just under $50, which is what I was planning on getting, already have one, was planning on doubling up. It all depends on what is more cost effective at the moment.

How do your Orandas get along? Any trouble with feeding or bullying?

17. Akari_32

From what I've seen, a DIY sump shouldnt be much more than $30-50, provided you can get a tank cheap enough. Pumps are about $15, and glass, PVC, and silicon are cheap.

Everyone gets along great. The moor and one of the Orandas are 4 and 3 inches in the body, respectively, the Ryukin is 2 inches in the body, and super fat, and the other Oranda is about 2 1/2 inches, but a bit longer in the body. Check out my 65 gallon pond blog :)

18. Ilyas

Ilyas Valued Member Member

Rasboras make nice tank mates and schools as well

19. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Goldfish will eat anything that fits in their mouth, so the schools of small fish may need to be replenished from time to time.

20. Akari_32

Very true, if they can manage to catch them!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice