75 Progress Update

1. MissyRay Member Member

Hi All,

My new 75 gallon is alive now, lol! Got some fishies yesterday and wanted to put out an update!

The day was a ton of fun really. Did a giant water change before heading out for the store. It's a half hour away but well worth it, only place I would consider buying live fish from around here. Spent 2 hours in the store staring at them all. Took my 11-year-old who exclaimed several times what a cool mom he has lol! We made some additions to his tank too

So here's what I ended up with....

1 albino bristlenose pleco who I would say is about 2-1/2 inches, so just a little guy.

3 blood red parrots who thus far are big woosies and scared of their own shadows. They are super young and tiny so it will be a while before the tank starts to fill out.

18 serpae tetra. Really like their colors. They had longfin there but I actually liked the more cleancut look of the regular ones best, plus there were just the 18 left in the tank and they all looked healthy so I just emptied the tank which was just kinda fun to say I bought them all!

I wanted Sterbai cories but they were out. May or may not get them at a later point.

Also wanted harlequin rasboras which they did have but were way too expensive for the number I wanted so if I decide I want another school to kinda fill out the top I will definitely be ordering these guys online.

I've posted a few pics below. No good ones of everyone in the tank since they are all still tiny and hiding but still fun to try :)
    [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

Awesome fish! Love those blood parrots!

I've also considered harlequin rasboras but am afraid the BP's or rotkiel sev would eat them eventually.

3. JeffK Well Known Member Member

Beautiful tank! I bet your fish will absolutely love it once they all settle in!

4. MissyRay Member Member

Thank you both!
    tyguy7760 I think it's a possibility but probably not likely so I may risk it. I'm hoping with the slightly taller body shape of the rasboras and the little mouths on the parrots it would be fine particularly if I get them while the parrots are still so tiny and they all "grow up" together.

Apparently this is my tank of reddish hues lol. Now if only there was a red Cory, that would be interesting. Don't think so though! I hadn't even realized my walls even fall into the color scheme.

5. Lchi87 Well Known Member Member

Tank/fish envy for sure! I love the grey rock on the left.

6. MissyRay Member Member

Thank you! That's so funny about that rock.... I've gotten lots of remarks about it and anyone who has seen the tank in person loves it. It's probably my least favorite thing in there and I have no idea why. It's staying tho cause apparently it's great :)

7. Lchi87 Well Known Member Member

Well the reason I like it is because if I were a fish, that's exactly where I'd want to set up camp!

8. MissyRay Member Member

Yes very true. They are all hanging inside there feeling safe right now.

9. JGombs99 Well Known Member Member

Absolutely loving what you're doing! I'd vote to go with just Serpaes (as many as you can) other than your Parrots and bottom dwellers. I think the colors and different sizes in your tank will look amazing! I can't wait to see more updates! My parrot is starting to venture out of hiding a little bit, now, but is mostly still hiding and being afraid of everyone else!

10. MissyRay Member Member

Thank you JGombs99. There's plenty of room for more of them, probably double actually. The top level is looking bleak to me at the moment tho. Maybe once everyone one settles in I won't feel like that. And if my plants would stop dying and grow upwards like I want they could fill out that top level for me instead of a more top level fish. We shall see!

11. JGombs99 Well Known Member Member

Give it some time, and see what happens. Don't make any new purchases until everyone settles in a bit so you can see how things are looking. I'm not sure what you're experiencing, but I can tell you that my serpaes don't school very tightly at all at most times. They're usually quite loose and although the mid level is obviously their territory, mine seem to go all over the tank. If you end up having the same experience, you may not need a top level fish. But, if your experience is different, you may want a top level fish instead of increasing your serpae school.

12. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

Your going to have 3 blood parrots in your 75g? Imagine once they are full grown. They are going to be beautiful!:) your tank is very nice by the way:)

13. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

Seriously though...this thread can't have enough blood parrot pictures...just sayin

14. MissyRay Member Member

@JGombs99 yea they definitely don't school tightly, seem to stay mostly middle but they are zipping around all over the place.

No rushing to add anyone, just lots of thinking out loud :) kinda panicked this morning because I think/thought I saw a parrot itch! So I'm trying not to freak out and watching them closely. I will NOT be happy if I end up with a sick fish!

@Sarah73. Yes I have 3 for now. Typically 3s don't always work out so well but I wanted to start with at least 3 so as they grow I can choose the 2 who best get along and will then rehome anyone else. So far they are all palled up together but as they mature I'm aware that may change.

15. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

This is a great plan. In fact I'll probably end up doing the same thing. I'll be stocking my 75 gallon with 2 parrots, a rotkiel sev, and a sajica cichlid but will likely start out with 3 parrots and then rehome any bully that develops.

16. MissyRay Member Member

That's a good idea, I don't know much about the rotkiel sev and the sajica but assuming they are relatively aggressive the parrots may appreciate it. They will almost certainly be your shy nervous ones. I'm starting to study up on new world cichlids vs mbuna or tang or the 180. There is ALOT to get figured out on that front!

17. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

severums in general are very peaceful. Sajicas are closely related to convicts but are much more peaceful...until they breed. Then they become very convict like. However, they stay smaller so they shouldn't be much threat to the BP's once they are older and the BP's will likely start out as the largest thing in the tank as the sev and sajica are small right now.

18. MissyRay Member Member

Ahh, ur starting my next level fish education

19. JGombs99 Well Known Member Member

Please post some more photos when you get a chance! I'm a bit jealous that your tank is similar, yet I think so much nicer looking than mine! Not too jealous to look and admire, though...

20. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

Yeah...i'm shocked and appalled (sarcasm) at the lack of blood parrot pics on fishlore. And you now have the power to rectify this. I've been living vicariously through bizaliz3 's parrot pics and videos.