75 gallon

1. LpPb5 Initiate Member

I don't think this is the right spot for this post but anyway I'm thinking about getting a 75 gallon tank but it would be in my room on the second floor and I don't know if it's safe to put on the second floor. It would be tank stand, sand, I'm thinking around 800 pounds? Anyone has advice or anything please share . I don't want to over exaggerate because I know it's not a gigantic tank but it's heavy and I'd rather not have it fall through the floor...

2. BamBamSorg Well Known Member Member

Lol I would check with someone about the structure of your house. Get someone from construction or someone else that can tell you were or if it isnt safe anywhere.

3. Silister Trench Well Known Member Member

Most people I know would never hesitate to stick a 75 g on the second floor, but you know, it's up to you to determine structural integrity where you are. I'd be more inclined to place a larger tank upstairs that I know is built correctly and solid versus one where there's been obvious signs of water damage or wet/dry rot in a house built 60 years ago.

If you're concerned place the tank next to an exterior wall with the length of the tank running perpendicular to the floor joists. This way it's more supported by the foundation than the actual floor. As long as you don't place the tank in the middle of the room on a long spanning floor joist you should be good. In fact, doing that on any level of the house would be a bad idea. Is it an apartment building or a house?

4. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

Agreed wit @Silister_Trench. Perpendicular to the floor joists is the way to go. That way it's over several joists as opposed to potentially just 1. Bonus peace of mind by putting it against an exterior wall. Also, sometimes in construction, your floor joists are smaller on the second floor than on the first floor. Meaning sometimes they will use 2x6's on the first floor and 2x4's on the second. That will lessen the potential load that your floor can take on the second floor...but regardless it should be able to handle a 900-1000 lb fish tank spread out over a 4 foot long area. All assuming there is no prior damage to said floor.

5. LpPb5 Initiate Member

So in the corner running against the wall long ways would be most likely good...I have family in construction and what not so I'll still check but I just wanted to have a general idea before asking

6. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

Like Silister said, even if the floor joists are made with 2x4's and made with white pine (one of the weaker types of common lumber), as long as you don't put it in the center of a very large room in between joists or on just one joist then you should have no issues. Even if you had it on just one joist it still is doubtful it would have a problem. Maybe over many years. But if it's on an exterior wall then you won't have any issues at all.

Is the corner against an exterior wall? Or a load bearing wall? If yes you are fine. If no, then as long as you are running it perpendicular to the joists you are still fine.

7. LpPb5 Initiate Member

Okay thanks