75 Gallon... What Else?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Samuel Abraham, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Samuel AbrahamValued MemberMember

Currently have a Gold Gourami, 6 Bronze Corydoras, 2 Otos, a few neon tetras, 3 nerite snails, and 6 Mollys in the tank. I bought around 15 neon tetras, but most of them seemed to die off within two weeks. Only 2-4 remain, and I don't know why they died. All water parameters and temperature were perfect throughout the process, and my other fish were healthy at the time. Also went for 4 Otos, however two have died and I still have no idea why. I would like another school of fish, but it seems neons just aren't working, perhaps a bad batch from the LFS? As for the Otos, I really do like the 2 I still have but am wondering why the other 2 died. Is there something I'm doing wrong? What about some sort of Pleco? Perhaps another type of Tetra?

2. Iverg1

Iverg1Well Known MemberMember

Was there any signs of disease. Maybe underfeeding?

3. OP
    OP
    S

Samuel AbrahamValued MemberMember

I feed the tank twice a day with some Omega flakes, and even dropped some cucumber slices in for the Otos, which they ate. The two currently in there seem to be doing fine, and none of the fish show signs of disease from what I can see.

4. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

Neons and otos are both sensitive, and it's common to lose some.

If you don't want to add more of them, I'd rehome them to someone with another school or to you LFS. That'll open up your stocking options too.

You could add a pleco (not a common, but one that stays under 10-12" full grown), more bronze cories, and another schooling fish? You could add a peaceful cichlid as well.

5. OP
    OP
    S

Ah I see, so I shouldn't worry too much about it then... If I were to add more neons, would I still be able to add a pleco? Peaceful cichlid such as a GBR? Thanks

6. TexasDomer

GBR need warmer water than neons, but Bolivian rams, some Apistos species, keyholes, etc. would work. You could still add a pleco too!

You could do something like this:

8-10x Bronze cories
    8x Otos
    15x Neons
    6x Mollies
    1x BN pleco
    2x Bolivian rams OR 2x Keyholes

7. OP
    OP
    S

Wow... thank you so much I'll definitely look into that. With all of those will I be able to keep the Gold Gourami? Or would it just take the place of the Bolivian Rams/Keyholes

8. TexasDomer

You could add the gold gourami if you keep the temp around 75 F! I wouldn't keep them in lower than that though (and higher is too high for the neons and otos).

9. OP
    OP
    S

Ah, so perhaps temperature has been the issue the entire time... Kept the tank at around 75-76 the entire time, so maybe this is what's been killing the Otos and Neon? Or they're just delicate fish like you said earlier.

10. TexasDomer

75 F should be fine for the otos and neons, but they are more sensitive, so I wouldn't think temp was the issue.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice