75 Gallon Vs 90 Gallon

DivingBellSpider

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello all,

I think this has been covered before, but, I’ll be getting my new aquarium very soon, and I was wondering if I could get some input. I will either get a 75 gallon, or 90 gallon for a FOWLR. I was wondering, does that 15 gallons/2 extra inches make much of a difference. Is it worth the extra weight, and maintenance? The difference is about $65. Does it matter much if it’s corner or back overflow for aquariums of that size, or is it just preference? Just looking to get the input as to if it’s worth the minor upgrade. Thanks in advance everyone!

A201

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Get the 90 gal. The additional water volume will aid parameter stability. The added space allows for more scape options.
Used 75 gal. tanks are a dime a dozen on Craigslist. 90's don't come up for sale near as often. People hold on to them.

Jayd976

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I had a 90 that popped a leak after about 10yrs of use. Got a 75 as a replacement as it’s all I could get in a pinch. Wish I had a 90 again the extra 2” is noticeable when looking at the tank. The added space and water volume will help.

Wild Bill

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I agree, get the 90. If it has a corner overflow, that’s a plus. My 75 has the back and I wish it was a corner for scaping reasons.

DivingBellSpider

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thank you for your input, guys, I appreciate it. I did go with the 90 gallon, and this will be my first marine aquarium, as well as the largest aquarium I’ve ever owned (55 gallon being the prior largest) I’ve been reading the bejeezus out of all saltwater aquarium books, forums, and websites I could find, and hopefully it will be successful, but I’m seriously nervous about it.

Jayd976

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well you already overcame the first big mistake all first timers make you went with the big tank over a small tank. More water volume more forgiving. :emoji_thumbsup:

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom