75 Gallon update and more pictures.

1. harry88 Member Member

Sad to say I lost a Loach and figured out why my other loaches have been missing for so long... they went down the overflow box of my aquarium. Yesterday I noticed I was missing a shrimp and I couldn't find him anywhere!! So as a last resort I looked for him in my filter and sure enough in the solid waste collection bag there he was along with two loaches one still alive and one completely dead. I would also like to mention I found a guppy in there a while ago too :( I put them all back in the tank (minus the dead one) and they're all doing fine which is a miracle due to the extremely turbulent and bubbly conditions inside that part of the filter. so now I've added some sponge in front of the intake they're all falling in. so far it has kept fish out but I've had to significantly turn my water flow down on my sump. In about 30 mins of me posting I'm going out to do some errands and I plan on buying some gutter guard or other type of fine plastic mesh to put over the intakes in hopes it will allow more flow though. I've attached some more pictures to this post for you all to look at. This tank is second hand and was a reef tank. I did not do the plumbing and I plan to change it some day due to its just overall weirdness and I have a SeaSwirl RRD I want to incorporate into the return. I bought this tank and everything with it for only 400 USD! It came with a 20 gal quarantine tank tons of various pumps and power-heads a very nice protein skimmer and the amazing Current Ramps LED lighting system it has on it and tons of other stuff. It was an absolute steal. The sand I have in it is Target brand pool filter sand I bought from our local pool store. I would definitely recommend. Rinsing it first, I didn't and I had a massive diatom bloom which I think i can accredit to the sand having lots of loose tiny silica particles in it. It didn't dust or cloud the water at all when I initially filled it but I'd still recommend rinsing as a precaution. That's about all I can think of to say for now. If you have any questions or comments or recommendations just leave a reply :)
    IMG_0431.JPG IMG_0442.JPG IMG_0443.JPG IMG_0444.JPG IMG_0445.JPG .

2. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Looks good :)

3. Stangguy93 Initiate Member

Where did you get the large river rock from? It looks really nice!

4. Lenn777 Initiate Member

Nice!

5. harry88 Member Member

The Walla Walla river is less than 50 ft from my back yard so they're everywhere in the field behind my house because that's where the riverbed used to be. I tested them with acid and then put them directly in the tank before I even filled it. I wasn't too worried about parasites because they haven't been in a river for hundreds if not thousands of years on top of the fact the tank didn't have any fish for a few weeks during the fish less cycling so there wasn't any food for parasites in the tank.

6. DrSahl Member Member

I like how your tank looks! Sorry for your few losses. I had fish been taken in by the filter intake in the past as well, so I know how sad that is.