75 Gallon Trouble Help

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Achilles, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Achilles

Achilles Valued Member Member

Hi everyone,

I put this under stocking questions because I'm having an issue with my 75 gallon right now.

It's currently stocked with:
    1x blue acara
    1x severum
    1x blue gourami
    2x bolivian rams
    7x buenos aires tetras
    1x bn pleco

Tank has been running for about 5 months now. My severum was always the dominant one until about a week ago. Something changed with my blue acara and now he thinks he can do whatever he wants to whoever he wants in the tank. He will chase my severum around the tank until he hides in a corner behind some plants. If he tries to come out of the corner, he'll just back him down into it. Today I also noticed some tears in my severum's tail fin. The acara will chase the gourami around as well, but he doesn't bully him as bad as the sev.

They're each about 4 inches and were put into the tank at the same time. The tank has several different territories and hiding spots, so that shouldn't be an issue.

I'm going to bring the acara to my LFS tomorrow to trade in. What are my options to replace him with? I'd prefer another american cichlid because I love their colors and personalities. However, I'm open to other colorful options as well.

2. D

Disturbed.) Valued Member Member

I would just sell off the Acara. Your tank is beautifully scaped but all those protrusions will eventually injure the Sev. With your current stocking it will grow to fill up that tank and having another medium/large sized semi agressive cichlid in there with him smells of more trouble. While Sevs usually rule the roost they spook easy. ps I still have 2 sevs from the same spawn as yours from Imperial tropicals they colored up nicely but are more timid than most I have kept I wonder if yours has the same shy additude.

3. OP
    OP
    Achilles

Thanks for your response! I actually decided to keep the acara for awhile longer to see if things smooth out. I've had a super weird observation. When my tank light is on, the acara will chase my sev around to no end. However, when if I just put the night light on (subtle blue light), he calms down and they can swim right by each other without harm. Trying this for a week or two and maybe things will get better, who knows.

As for the shyness part, mine was extremely shy at first. However, it has gotten better but it does get spooked very easily. I have to be careful when I walk up to the tank or else I'm scared it'll spook and hurt itself. It is coloring up very nicely though.

4. D

I thinned two from twelve for form and color. I wish I had waited longer to lean their demeanor first. If I'm in a hurry and walk past their racks I can hear one "almost always the female" smash against the glass in a panic, poor girl. The male actually spooked out of the tank through the gutter guard plastic mesh one morning while I was sitting at the table testing a water sample. These particular Red Spots are more skittish than most I've kept. Red Spots in particular spook more easily than most Sevs and most Sevs spook more easily than most big powerful fish. I've lost more than a few Red Spots to injuries from slamming into things. I'm not saying they shouldn't be kept with Acaras, I have two tanks with Sevs and EBAs they go great together. I would though only use a 75 with an adult Red Spot if it were by itself and only then temporarily because one pump of the tail and they're against the glass or impaled your scape. So if the onslaught does seem to continue rehoming and replacing the Sev is actually a better option than moving the Acara.

5. OP
    OP
    Achilles

Thank you for all your advice! The Sev does still spook easier than my other fish but it isn't near as bad as it used to be. Also, the chasing has seemed to reduce to only during/after feeding time. My guess is once the sev outgrows the acara it will become the dominant one again and it won't get chased around anymore.

6. D

It won't take long for that to happen. Severum grow fast, really fast. Once they hit about 4" they start to bulk up too. The acara not so much, once they hit 3-3.5" their growth slows way down.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice