75 Gallon Tiger Barb Tankmate Questions

Rhomzilla
Hello. So I have been out of the hobby for about 10 years now. I used to keep many different tropical fish on and off but was big into keeping many different piranha in species only tanks. I've always loved the look of a school of tiger barbs but have never kept them. I've set up a 75 gallon with some live plants that is currently cycling. Ammonia is at zero waiting for nitrites to go down now. I'm thinking probably around 25-30 tiger barbs. Maybe different color varieties not sure yet. My question is about tank mates. I don't want many but would like some cories or plecos or loaches or something to patrol the bottom. Have some hiding places to get away from the barbs. Any ideas or suggestions? Anyone have experience with a large school of tiger barbs with any of these other fish? Thanks everyone. Any other ideas would be appreciated also.

Advertisement
BottomDweller
Welcome to fishlore!

You could have a clown pleco or a bristle nose pleco with them and a large (around 20 would be good) school of cories or a large (15-30 would be good) school of kuhlI loaches with them.

What types of cory, loaches and pleco were you thinking?
Any other fish you want with them?

Advertisement
Rhomzilla
I really think a large school of cories would look great with them. I just have no experience with the barbs and I know cories are a pretty mello fish so I didn't want to cause them any stress if the barbs would nip at them constantly. If they would work that would be my choice though. Any larger solo fish that would be ok with them? Red tail shark or something like this? I am running two emp400 filters and do weekly water changes so a bigger bioload shouldn't be a problem.

BottomDweller
Yeah cories are peaceful. When tiger barbs are in a large enough school (10+) they are rarely aggressive as long as they are not being kept with fish that have long flowy fins. Cories are bottom dwellers and would stay out of their way anyway.
A red tailed shark might work with the barbs but I'd expect it would be aggressive and territorial to the cories.

aquatickeeper
I'd choose a clown pleco with a school of sterbaI or emerald cories, if I were you. For loaches, you'd maybe do kuhlis? Or maybe yoyos?

Rhomzilla
Ok thanks for the suggestions I will do some research and post some pics when I decide for sure after my water is looking good to go.

Advertisement

vikingkirken
If you want a red tail shark, I'd consider some type of botia loach with it. Perhaps a school of zebras or yoyos. There are many anecdotal accounts of the freshwater sharks doing well with botia loaches, even making buddies!

Rhomzilla
So say I went with tiger barbs, red tail shark,pleco and a school of Yoyo. With good filtration and water changes what numbers would you suggest??

vikingkirken
I'd suggest something like this:

15-18 tiger barbs
6 yoyo loaches
1x red tailed shark
1x bristlenose pleco

And keep the temp in the lower 70s.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
bbnp
Replies