75 gallon tank

1. josh7 Well Known Member Member

I'm rethinking this Oscar thing as they do have a really big bioload for a 75 so I decided to go with a different cichlid type. I know for sure I want a a black ghost knife and 4 silver dollars sone cichlid types I like are Jack Dempseys, Green Terror, Green Texas Cichlid, Severum, Firemouths. I just want opinions on which of these cichlids will go best with the fish mentioned above.

2. mrgoogls Member Member

the ghost knife may hide for a good amount of the day and you may not see him much. just letting you know:) also i would add a few more silver dollars. make it al least 6 as they like to school. i dont know much about green texas cichlids. i do know that jack dempseys and green terrors will probaby bully and possibly kill silver dollars and maybe the knife. a fire mouth or 2 could work well. a severum would fit in the tank. i dont know if they would be compatible with the others. how about u get:

the ghost knife
    6 silver dollars(maybe more if you get really really good filtration)
    and 1 or 2 firemouths

just know that beween cichlids and the silver dollars, you will not have live plants. if you add them they will be eliminated...

3. josh7 Well Known Member Member

Really I have heard jacks and silver dollars make great tank mates would a severum pair, 5 silver dollars, 1 ghost knife, work the filtration is a marineland 350 and a emperor 400. But also with the severums does it matter if they are different colors.

4. Dlondon95 Well Known Member Member

Silver dollars are very shy fish that spook easily and require more than a 4ft tank. They can run into the glass and injure themselves.

I'm don't know a lot about the other fish you suggested, but I think you could do a pair of jack dempseys in a 75g.

5. josh7 Well Known Member Member

I really would like a single severum, firemouth, some amazon type dither fish with a ghost knife

6. mrgoogls Member Member

that sound nice! there are a lot of fish you could use as a dither, what were you thinking of? make sure it is ig enough not to fit in anyones mouth:D

7. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

Hey josh7 - any of the fish you mentioned have a huge bioload. In general, all carniverous fish have a higher bioload than "regular" fish. The size of the fish contributes to this as well, but remember when choosing any of a JD or GT that you will have to consider the same bioload issue.

8. josh7 Well Known Member Member

You know I think I'm gonna drop the ghost knife as they seem to get very large can I have a mated pair of jack dempseys with a featherfin squeaker or is that gonna be an issue.