75 Gallon Tank Set Up

1. Fireflyshutterbug

Fireflyshutterbug New Member Member

i have been in the aquarium hobby for 4 years. I started with a 10 gallon then added a 29 gallon. Both of these are freshwater community tanks. Now I am adding a 75 gallon tank and I would like to do something different. I have been looking into what it will take to have African Cichlids or South American. Each looks like I will need to change the water weekly. I will have to get used to that part. My community tanks are pretty easy, but I am willing for the beautiful fish I can keep. What I would like to know from the forum is advice on which way to go? In some ways I would love to have some cichlids that are not as aggressive so I could mix them up with community fish. I have read about a few like that but I don't think would be easy to find. Is the maintenance on a cichlid tank compariable to a salt water tank? If so maybe I should stick with what I know, a freshwater community. Any advice would be much appreciated.

2. Kenny777

Kenny777 Well Known Member Member

Most Cichlids are aggressive and will become very territorial. African community cichlid tank would be interesting and lots of colors. You should talk to @fissh about them.

Saltwater tanks are a more difficult then freshwater IMO.

A community tank is always good and awesome, lots of colors and shapes.

3. JesseMoreira06

JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

I would go with a community tank with semi aggressive cichlids such as a Severum, Electric blue Acara, Rainbow Cichlid, Festivums , Anglefish , Rams , Apitos ect.. These fish are concidered fairly peaceful for cichlids. These fish can be housed with schooling fish such as Congo Tetras , Bosemani Rainbows, Lemon Tetra , Diamond Tetras ect.. and bottom dwellers like Corydoras or Loaches ect..

I wouldn't do a African cichlids if you wanted to keep schooling fish and bottom dwellers ect..African cichlids need to be in species only tanks because they are aggressive fish.

Any freshwater tank needs to have water changes every week , some may do 30% all the way up to 50% it really depends . I have 15 tanks and all my tanks get 50% water changes once a week.

In a 75g you'll need a canister filter , with canister filters you want to aim for 5-6× the amount of gallons for filtration meaning 75g×5=375gal/h. Currentlt on my 75g I have a fluval 406 that's 383gal/h with a Hang on the back filter AquaClear 50 (200gal/h) also an air stone for extra surface agitation.

This is my current 75g stock

1 Red Spotted Severum
    1 Electric Blue Acara
    2 Apisto Triple Red (male/female)
    8 Congo Tetras
    10 Black Phantom Tetras
    8 Yoyo Loaches

Take a look at the fish I named above in the beginning, and check what your interested in, me and other members can suggest a stocking plan for you.

4. rsumner

rsumner Valued Member Member

Very informative stuff, @JesseMoreira06 . I'm also setting up my first 75gal as @Fireflyshutterbug is doing and am in the exact same place. I went out and bought a slew of brand new goodies: tank, stand, hi powered fluval wifi lights, fluval 406 canister, etc, etc. Unfortunately, I've been so indecisive on what species I want to go with, I haven't been able to nail down a design on the hardscape and live plants to go with. In the end, I think I'm going to limit my Cichlid species to smaller rams so I can keep a larger collection of plants also.

5. JesseMoreira06

JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

Thanks Welcome to the forum, if you wanted to do a planted tank , most of the time Electric Blue Acara (5") , Keyhole cichlid (4") ,Rainbow cichlid (4"), Anglefish(6"), Laetacara Curviceps (2-"3), Rams (2-3"), Apisto (2-3") will do fine in a planted tank, I wouldn't do a Severum they will eat anything and everything that is green.

6. fissh

fissh Well Known Member Member

I've had about every cichlid available at one time or another, My favorite display tank is Malawi cichlids! The whole trick to keeping them is lots of filters, lots of rocks, a half water change weekly and lots of fish. They are way easier to keep than a salt tank, and (my opinion) the prettiest freshwater display tank you can have. As for bottom fish, you can keep African cats and some types of plecostomus. If you haven't opened your 406 yet. I'd trade it in for an FX6. You can keep 30 to 35 in you 75 gallon. If you decide on Africans, buy them small and grow them. There are certain types to avoid that we can get into later. These are pictures of my current African tank, it's a 360 gallon with around 150 fish in it.

DSCN4454.JPG DSCN5018.JPG DSCN5061.JPG DSCN5150.JPG