75 Gallon Sw Build - Page 7

Culprit

My first vacation is June 15th so I have some time to hopefully get this cleared up by then. Hopefully by then I can stop the treatments and just observe in QT.

You need to get copper started asap then as copper takes 30 days.

Jayd976

Its a 10 gallon tank so if I have to do large water changes its not a big deal. I did about 40-50% yesterday as I really wanted to vac the bottom good. I should be getting some Cupramine by tomorrow so I'll do another large change today and not redose the Formalin and add some carbon.

Culprit

Its a 10 gallon tank so if I have to do large water changes its not a big deal. I did about 40-50% yesterday as I really wanted to vac the bottom good. I should be getting some Cupramine by tomorrow so I'll do another large change today and not redose the Formalin and add some carbon.

Sounds good. I'd say another 40-50% today and adding carbon will get all the Formalin out. Then you can start Cupramine tomorrow. Oh, don't add it all over two days, get it up to therapuetic level over at least 5 days.

Check out this link on Copper. also look at this link for any diseases you might come across, and for more info on ich.
Here you can see how sensitive the fish you will be treating is to copper. The more sensitive the closer you have to watch and the slower you have to raise concentrations.

Jayd976

Q: Is there is any problem with using Formalin in concentration of 25 mg/L with Cupramine ?
A: YES! Do not use Formalin with Cupramine or any other copper medication. It will reduce the Copper +2 to Copper +1 which is highly toxic at even small doses.

so I better take my time and and ensure I get it all out.

Culprit

Q: Is there is any problem with using Formalin in concentration of 25 mg/L with Cupramine ?
A: YES! Do not use Formalin with Cupramine or any other copper medication. It will reduce the Copper +2 to Copper +1 which is highly toxic at even small doses.

so I better take my time and and ensure I get it all out.

Didn't see that. Definitely make sure you get it all out.

Jayd976

That's directly from Seachem website. I'll cease Formalin today do a large water change add carbon. Do another large change tomorrow and hopefully should be good. Change out the filter floss as well. And start the copper Friday or Saturday.

Jayd976

Filter floss removed, 50% water change done and carbon added. Should have cupramine and test kit tomorrow.

stella1979

Wishing you the best of luck!

Jayd976

So quick update. So far everyone is doing great! No loses, no signs of Ich in main tank. Coral beauty is doing very well in QT will start Cupramine today.

Jayd976

Coral beauty doesn’t look as good as I thought. I don’t have a light on that tank so at quick glances don’t see much. After really looking him over covered in Ich and eyes are a little cloudy.

How often can water changes be done while treating with cupramine? I assume I can do as needed and just test and redose what’s needed. Right now it’s at about 0.3-0.4mg/L copper.

stella1979

Hoping your little beauty will pull through!

Honestly, I'm not sure about wc's during copper treatment, but I would assume that it's fine as long as you maintain proper levels for treatment.

Jayd976

Unfortunately, this morning the coral beauty perished. After removing it I upped the copper dosage to lethal to kill off anything remaining to ensure the filter and everything is good and will let it go fallow so it can be used as a QT tank in future. I know I could just dump it, clean it and let it sit dry and accomplished the same, but I don’t want to lose the cycle in the filter and I certainly DONT want to put that filter temporarily on my main tank.

stella1979

Sorry J. Please take comfort in knowing that you did your best.

Jayd976

yeah, its a bummer. Thought I was gonna be able to save this guy. Maybe if I would have started with copper from the beginning it would have worked out better. At least I managed to save the display from an outbreak.

Culprit

Coral beauty doesn’t look as good as I thought. I don’t have a light on that tank so at quick glances don’t see much. After really looking him over covered in Ich and eyes are a little cloudy.

How often can water changes be done while treating with cupramine? I assume I can do as needed and just test and redose what’s needed. Right now it’s at about 0.3-0.4mg/L copper.

No changes during cupramine. Unless, you dose Cupramine to 0.5 ppm in the water that's about to be changed in. The thing is, if copper drops below therapuetic level you have to restart the 30 day clock. So, you can do water changes, but I've only done one this whole 30 day treatment with my YWG. Its just one fish in a 10 gallon. Nitrates are around 20-30 but I'll be doing large water changes as soon as its done, which I have 5 days left.

Unfortunately, this morning the coral beauty perished. After removing it I upped the copper dosage to lethal to kill off anything remaining to ensure the filter and everything is good and will let it go fallow so it can be used as a QT tank in future. I know I could just dump it, clean it and let it sit dry and accomplished the same, but I don’t want to loose the cycle in the filter and I certainly DONT want to pay t that filter temporarily on my main tank.

I'm so sorry. You did everything you could. Now, however, you know what needs to be done and have the meds and can quickly pull and treat fish that come down with diseases. I learned it the hard way, lost my two clowns as I didn't have meds, QT, or the knowledge.

Lorekeeper

Sorry to hear that, bud. Always tough to lose a fish, especially when you nurse it through an illness.

Jayd976

I must have found at least 100-150 of those little snails in my algae reactor today when cleaning it out. There’s probably s couple dozen that pop out at night in the main display.

stella1979

Collonista snails? I've got them too. I probably have more than I think I do but they haven't been a bother so far.

Jayd976

Yeah I didn’t think I had that much either until I cleaned out the algae reactor and it was loaded.

Jayd976

So no real updates. Haven’t gotten any new fish as I knew I’d be traveling a bit over the next couple months following the Ich issue. Didn’t want to get anything new and risk something happening while away even if in QT.

Anyway, I’m in Chicago for the week and yesterday checkout the Shedd Aquarium. If you’re ever in the area I highly recommend visiting. Some great exhibits the reef tanks are stunning.

Jayd976

Returned home from vacation to what I’m guessing is a green cyano outbreak on the sandbed.

Will test water Params in a bit.

Attachments

• 0BA4D32C-4E76-47C6-BBD6-722843BEF740.jpeg
    0BA4D32C-4E76-47C6-BBD6-722843BEF740.jpeg
    90.3 KB · Views: 134

Jayd976

so my cleanup crew currently consists of a single dwarf blue leg hermit crab and a large nassarius snail plus copepods. I was thinking about upping the cleaning crew with Trochus snails, Astraea snails and some more hermits. I've always been conservative on numbers with clean ups crews as eventually the consume an adequate food source and they die off. So was thinking of the below total numbers:

dwarf blue leg hermits: 5
Trochus snails: 3
Astraea snails: 2

Anyone have experience with Abalone? Was looking at it on liveaquaria and thought it could be cool.

Jayd976

Increased flow in that spot and the cyano has nearly disappeared. Vacation is in a few weeks then when I get back its time to get a new fish.

So, which to get next...?

Jayd976

So realized my Kole tang isn’t actually a Kole tang and is Two Spot Bristletooth Tang.

stella1979

It looks like care requirements are similar. Are you disappointed?

Jayd976

Yeah, no real differences other than some slight physical differences. No, not at all.

Jayd976

11621711-8885-4C96-BC34-E9EFD577861B.jpeg
F0EB353C-95CD-4CA1-A151-617E46C8AF6B.jpeg Gotta say for an $80 Aquamaxx reactor I’m a bit disappointed after 4-6 months to see this many cracks when cleaning it and never dropped the thing. Perhaps from the LED lights??? 3 cracks in 3 different locations.

stella1979

Dang! That is disappointing, to say the least. Will you contact Aquamaxx?

Jayd976

Yeah, waiting to here back from their customer support.

Their warranty:
“AquaMaxx warrants all AquaMaxx products to be free from manufacturing defects for one year from the original purchase date when purchased through an authorized AquaMaxx retailer. This warranty does not cover any damages caused by misuse, neglect, alterations or improper handling / transport / maintenance / installation. Physical damages are not covered by warranty. AquaMaxx does not cover personal injury, personal loss, or other damages associated with the use of our products.“

stella1979

Hmmm I don't like that much. How do you prove that there hasn't been misuse... and if the dang thing breaks just from use, isn't that a manufacturer's defect? Yet, physical damages are not covered... Looks like they've covered there

Jayd976

Yes, very frustrating. I only got it end of January. I ordered a new one from Marine Depot in case they don't honor the warranty so I'm not out a reactor too long. If they do I'll just return or sell the one they send. I wonder if the cheap LEDs I had on it that were burning out heated up the acrylic too much and weakened it. I ended up ditching the chaeto reactor and made it a GFO reactor with rowaphos.

stella1979

I couldn't speak to what would happen with acrylic, but yeah, I did a DIY light once. We used LED's on an adhesive strip that we wrapped around PVC. It did get hot and the PVC warped a little... and it was over a tank in my kid's room. He kinda loved making the tank green, but we got worried about safety and took it down.

So, you ditched your LED's when you switched to GFO, yeah? And the cracks still appeared later?

Jayd976

yeah, I noticed a small crack when I removed those LEDS and put better quality AccelAquatics LEDS on. But the chaeto just wasn't working out. It would get overrun by algae so I switched to make it a GFO reactor. When I removed the LEDs last night to make the switch I noticed more cracks and gotten much bigger. It's compromised as a very small bead of water (about the size of a sharp pencil tip) comes out of one of the cracks.

stella1979

That sucks man. I would've felt safe doing the same. I mean, I've seen plenty of others do DIY reactors with similar lights. Trouble is, we rarely see updates on these projects.

Jayd976

Exactly. I'm going to attribute this to that given the cracks seem to originate in areas that the light was covering. I guess its a blessing in disguise to as if I never replaced those lights I may have woke up or come home to 1/3 of the tank water pumping onto the floor.

Jesterrace

Unfortunately, this morning the coral beauty perished. After removing it I upped the copper dosage to lethal to kill off anything remaining to ensure the filter and everything is good and will let it go fallow so it can be used as a QT tank in future. I know I could just dump it, clean it and let it sit dry and accomplished the same, but I don’t want to lose the cycle in the filter and I certainly DONT want to put that filter temporarily on my main tank.

As a fellow Coral Beauty owner, I feel for you. My Coral Beauty has been a trooper and a great fish to boot. He went through a traumatic experience coming home from the LFS (he refused to go and even went so far as to bite the net trying to not go home in the bag), he went through ich and fought through it, he dealt with a Yellow Tang who took a chunk out of his lower fin and also the Tang gave it some tail whacks with it's scalpel. He has healed and recovered from it all. Much better than my experience with that butthead of a Flame Angel I used to have.

Jayd976

So I just heard back from Aquamaxx and they will warranty it and send me a replacement unit from Marinedepot. Once I get that I will return the one I bought Incase they wouldn’t warranty it or sell it with the LEDs as a media reactor bundle. I’m just going to use it with Rowaphos GFO.

Jayd976

Back from vacation and got the new reactor all setup and running. Salvaged whatever spare parts I could from the cracked one and back to normal operation.

Jayd976

Just picked up a new fish. It’s currently acclimating to the QT tank.

Hint: it’s my favorite fish.... photos to come later once in QT.

Jayd976

No pics tonight he’s too stressed out so I’ll let him get settled overnight and try tomorrow.

stella1979

Aw man! And you aren't going to spill it without a picture, huh? Hmmm, this thread isn't so long. Maybe I can figure it out.

Edit: I'm guessing the Foxface.

Jayd976

Settled in a bit colors came back soooo......

Attachments

• 889ED105-5AE3-4062-8783-AC9534805E9A.jpeg
    889ED105-5AE3-4062-8783-AC9534805E9A.jpeg
    70.1 KB · Views: 119

stella1979

Heck yeah! He's a bad lookin' mama jamma. Love, love, love those guys. Wishing him and you health and happiness. Please keep giving us eye candy of your new addition. Congratulations!!!

Jayd976

Thanks! He’s about 3-3.5” and currently in QT with Paraguard as a preventative. Will treat for about two weeks and then let him be another 2 weeks. After that will put him main tank as long as no signs of anything.

stella1979

Can't wait to see his mohawk!!!

Jayd976

soon enough. Will try and get some pictures of him later.

Jayd976

After so many tries best I can get. This guy just doesn’t want to spike up. Which isn’t necessarily a bad thing lol.

Attachments

• 9C3B23E1-EFAD-42C0-911C-B13A4F2A83B9.jpeg
    9C3B23E1-EFAD-42C0-911C-B13A4F2A83B9.jpeg
    77.9 KB · Views: 135

stella1979

No way, that's an awesome one! He still looks spikey because the rays are so distinguishable. That fish is a looker no matter what.

Jesterrace

After so many tries best I can get. This guy just doesn’t want to spike up. Which isn’t necessarily a bad thing lol.

Jay, I swear your 75 and my 90 gallon are following the same blueprint for fish. I just added a One Spot Foxface as well (mine only spikes up when people walk quickly by the tank). I got this guy to replace my jerk of a Yellow Tang. I also added a Juvie Blue Star Leopard Wrasse:

Jayd976

Nice my original tank was a 90 but had to change it when I saw the seals were starting to bubble.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Jayd976
Replies
Views
FoulFishes
Replies
Views
Jesterrace

Random Great Thread!

Latest Aquarium Threads