75 Gallon Sw Build

Little Tank of Happiness

I would bump up the chromis number by one or two. The bigger the school the better! I'd also get another o. clownfish because they are much happier in pairs! I'm better with freshwater stocking advice so I don't know much more about salt... hopefully a sw expert can chime in!

Jayd976

The O. Clown is in a 29gal tank right now with a yellow tail damsel. Do you think when time comes moving him over to the 90 gal with another O he may get aggressive with it since they aren't an already established pair? I'm guessing both being added to a new tank they'd most likely be ok.

Jayd976

That stocking look ok or too heavy?

Jayd976

bump

grantm91

I want to say it looks ok but I only have a 32g and have never kept large sw fish. It does look ok though provided the tanks a long,maybe someone else will come along. Id up the chromis too not just for there comfort but it would look much better. My ocelaris clowns they are happy and better to watch in a pair.

Jayd976

Ok. I wasn't sure given the matrue ocelaris I have now if it would be an issue introducing another one given the new tank and everything. When I first started the 29gal the O was the first fish I eventually added a fire fish and he killed it I'm assuming because its colors were similar to his so he felt threatened.

Otherwise, just wanted to make sure the stocking wasn't too much of a bioload. I'll definitely bump of the chromis 1 or 2.

Jayd976

Okay, well this project is about to officially begin. My brother-in-law is coming tonight to take my remaining fish. Then over the next week I'll be tearing down the tank moving it from my parents house (didn't want to break it down and relocate it and set it up fresh again when I knew I'd be converting it) and moving it to my house to start the conversion to saltwater.

Jayd976

picked up 40lbs of south sea dry base rock to seed with my 25lbs of established live rock. Planning on picking up about 80lbs of fijI pink sand sometime this week or weekend. Also, going to paint the back of the tank a dark blue and then I should be good to go to fill her up and get it going. Got a Hydor professional 600 canister filter that I'm excited to try out. I've heard nothing, but good things about them. Given the current live rock I plan to take from my 29Gal should be a quick cycle.

Jayd976

So I was thinking... Would it be doable to turn the media section of my BakPak Protein skimmer into a Chaeto chamber? Would just need a small light to clip on and I would imagine the rest would be fine?

Jayd976

THE 40lbs of dry base rock I ordered arrived today! Nice big pieces too!

Attachments

• ED5F14E8-884C-4E14-9473-434122BCE3F8.jpeg
    ED5F14E8-884C-4E14-9473-434122BCE3F8.jpeg
    95.4 KB · Views: 173

Culprit

Looking good! I want to see some pics of the tank when its set up! That fijI pink sand is good stuff. Nart has it and loves it, and I'm going to be getting it. Lots of variety in the pieces.

So since you're getting a watchman goby, why don't you get a pistol shrimp to pair with it? That's a really cool symbiotic companionship

Jayd976

I’ve actually been contemplating the goby as I'm not sure I want a DSB.

KristaD

I’ve actually been contemplating the goby as I'm not sure I want a DSB.

Nart had a shrimp goby pair and he doesn’t have a deep sand bed

Jayd976

I was only planning on doing 1-2” of sand. So, if you guys don’t think it’ll be a problem than perhaps I’ll give it a shot. But will it target my cleaning crew?

Culprit

A shrimp goby? No. Its a really cool symbiotic relationship. The shrimp uses the goby as protection and the shrimp digs the hole for the goby. 1-2" will work for sure. And a lot of times in reefs the sandbed doesn't stay a consistent depth. It may pile up to 3" in one spot and be 1" in another.

Jayd976

Need to decide how I want to scape the rock. Currently, in my 29gal I have the rock as kind of a wall in middle of the tank that can be swam through in some places and around. But, I'm thinking of doing like two islands that can be swam around and between this time.

Jayd976

was thinking something like this for the layout.

Attachments

• tank layout.png
    tank layout.png
    79.8 KB · Views: 185

grantm91

If you get strong enough power heads id only bother with two maybe even one depending on your return and what you are doing with the tank, I seen a jabeo sw15 functioning on a 75 gallon in a lfs, that thing was stirring that tank up good. Watch some youtube and just observe the power heads and the tanks, that's what I do because written reviews aren’t always great.

Jayd976

when it was running Freshwater it had one large Hydor Koralia forget which model. As well as a AC110 Emperor 400 and a Magnum 350 canister. Replacing all that with a Hydor 600 pro canister filter and maybe another one or two powerheads. I may keep the AC110 just for the movement as it creates a nice downward flow when on full flow.

grantm91

That's good from filter, I always found canisters and hobs no good for flow even my fx is an in-adequate out put pressure for water movement. But I like water movement and believe it does more good than people realize so I want power, I’m not familiar with the hydors but seriously that sw15 was doing a job, I have the sw4 singular on my 32g and that’s adequate, id like another though haha.

KristaD

That's good from filter, I always found canisters and hobs no good for flow even my fx is an in-adequate out put pressure for water movement. But I like water movement and believe it does more good than people realize so I want power, I’m not familiar with the hydors but seriously that sw15 was doing a job, I have the sw4 singular on my 32g and that’s adequate, id like another though haha.

I have 2 of the jebeo sw 4s running the random setting on opposite ends of the 29g. The speed is low medium and they are set higher than the live rock and aimed at each other. Definitely have movement but sand isn’t going anywhere.

Jayd976

I completely emptied the tank of all it’s contents today and started cleaning it up to get ready for the conversion. Filled it back up a bit with fresh water to get a better idea of the Koraila flow in an empty tank that thing had water moving everywhere. Two of those and I think I’ll be set one on each end of tank facing each other just above the rock.

stella1979

Glad I found this thread! Can't wait to see some pics.

Jayd976

Yeah, its exciting! Its been a long time since I've done a tank from scratch. Feel like a kid in a candy store again looking at and selecting new equipment and stuff. One of the best parts of fish keeping, planning out and stocking a tank.

grantm91

Never thought id have a hobby, but I’m a tank nerd now, better than golf though ay.

Jayd976

Was also now thinking of making rock walls built up in the rear two corners and leaving the whole front and middle ground of the tank open for swimming instead of the two islands in middle of tank.

Jayd976

Was also now thinking of making rock walls built up in the rear two corners and leaving the whole front and middle ground of the tank open for swimming instead of the two islands in middle of tank.

original idea was something similar to this :

upload_2017-11-16_10-18-19.jpeg

new idea is something similar to this:

upload_2017-11-16_10-7-56.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2017-11-16_10-17-20.jpeg
    upload_2017-11-16_10-17-20.jpeg
    92.5 KB · Views: 122

Culprit

I would avoid the second one, or adapt it. You never want live rock that close to the sides of the tank. This is because it will restrict water flow, causing dead spots. If you did that, but moved it a few inches away from the sides, leaving a few inches of open space between the LR and the wall it would be fine.

Jayd976

I would avoid the second one, or adapt it. You never want live rock that close to the sides of the tank. This is because it will restrict water flow, causing dead spots. If you did that, but moved it a few inches away from the sides, leaving a few inches of open space between the LR and the wall it would be fine.

yeah, that's what I was thinking. I was thinking because its only a 48" tank the length isn't really there for the two islands to create a nice open middle area between the two.

KristaD

yeah, that's what I was thinking. I was thinking because its only a 48" tank the length isn't really there for the two islands to create a nice open middle area between the two.

With modifications suggested by Culprit it will look awesome!

Jayd976

I guess I'll just have to start playing with it and see what looks best.

Jayd976

so how would you stock the current plan:

For fish planning on the below:
6-7 - Blue/Green Chromis
1 - O. clownfish from previous 29gal tank currently running
1 - Bicolor dwarf Angel
1 - One spot fox face
1 - Yellow tang or Yellow Kobe tang
1 - Watchman goby
Clean up crew

I'm thinking:
The Chromis first. Introduce my current O. clown and a new O at the same time in hopes they pair up in a friendly way to limit aggression. Then the angel and goby. The fox face and lastly the Tang.

Jayd976

picked up 80lbs of Caribsea FijI pink sand so hoping to finish cleaning the tank out tomorrow then paint the back a dark blue and start putting this baby together. Once all set hopfully adding some of the live rock from my other tank will give it a nice instant cycle so I can start stocking this puppy. The LFS by me had a beautiful young one spot foxface that I wanted to buy, too bad the tank isn't running yet.

grantm91

Ive never stocked a big tank but it looks good to me. Also out of the 3 pics the second one is the best. Dont think il ever have a bigger set up, but if I did id have to include the chromis, this will be a good set up.

Jayd976

Just made the most disappointing discovery while finishing up draining and cleaning the tank. I found multiple large air bubbles in the bottom silicone seal. Some when I pressed water squirted out of. Miracle it hasn’t leaked, but guessing it’s only a matter of time. Not sure what to do now.

Attachments

• 93692173-CA4F-496C-93A7-7B36C4DB1288.jpeg
    93692173-CA4F-496C-93A7-7B36C4DB1288.jpeg
    72.2 KB · Views: 127
  • 030D3D6D-877B-4DA1-AF2D-3D8759B90A06.jpeg
    030D3D6D-877B-4DA1-AF2D-3D8759B90A06.jpeg
    85.3 KB · Views: 125
  • D68B9F84-83D4-4B04-8522-CEDAEDF02CE4.jpeg
    D68B9F84-83D4-4B04-8522-CEDAEDF02CE4.jpeg
    74.6 KB · Views: 123

Jayd976

I’ve found several 75 gallon tanks on Craigslist/Facebook marketplace think I could keep the same stock in a 75? Hesitant tonreseal the 90 as 1 I’ve never resealed a tank. And if I don’t put enough don’t want to risk a leak. That’s a lot of water pressure on those seals.

Jayd976

I could get a brand new 75 AGA $165 or Deep Blue $175 from one of my LFS, thoughts? A new 90gal would be about $350 not really in the budget...

KristaD

Nart has resealed a tank successfully as have others but I’m not sure I would have the confidence to do it myself so I understand your concern. Nanologist has done it as well. You could have a gorgeous 75 gallon but I agree that fewer fish would be better. I’m sure others will comment too.

Jayd976

Yeah I mean if it was a smaller tank I’d at least try, but a 90 is large and would require a lot of silicone to do it right and even then idk if it’ll hold.

Culprit

Honestly... if it was me, that's a ton of stress on that silicone. The job would have to be perfect. I think those 75's are pretty good deals. I would probably go with that if I had the budget.

Jayd976

Yeah and I’d constantly wonder how it’s holding up and there’s no way to know until it busts.

Jayd976

I guess if I go with the 75 I'll have to alter the stock list a bit. Maybe instead of 7 chromis, 5 will do.

Nart

I personally wouldn't do a DIY re-seal on a big tank.
Too much of a risk and liability.

On bigger glass tanks, I would only buy brand new, or unless I know the seller pretty well and closely inspect the tank
As for bigger acrylic tanks, I wouldn't mind buying it lightly used. Buff out the entire tank to make it looking new again.

Jayd976

Yeah, I agree. I'm going to try and sell it for use as a reptile tank and then put that towards either a 75 or another 90 gallon.

Jayd976

ugh can't make up my mind do I get a 75 and give up some vertical room or bite the bullet and get another 90....

Jayd976

called a bunch of LFS' by me to get prices on tanks and the best I got is $130 for a 75 and $300 for a 90. Think I'm just going to get the 75 and hopefully this weekend and get this build started!

Culprit

Keep us updated

Jayd976

Planning on going tomorrow after work to pick up the 75. Brought the stand and everything else over to my house tonight.

Jayd976

Picked Up a 75 tonight and they gave me a future sales price of $109.99 so I’m a very happy camper!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Jayd976
Replies
Views
FoulFishes
Replies
Views
Jesterrace

Latest Aquarium Threads

Top Bottom