75 gallon summer project

maxima423

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
hey, i cant stop thinking about my third tank which is coming this summer, around mid august, my grandmommy is bringing with her from montgomery, alabama with my grandfather and uncle when they visit, hopefully it does not crack *knocks on wood*, its going to be a 75 gallon, my biggest tank for now and i was wondering what to stock it with, i have a couple things i wanted to do

two canister filters, both will be sunsun which i am going to order around july and use it for my 55 gallon so it will be fully seeded

1) barb tank - do barbs destroy plants?

6-8 gold barbs
6-8 regular tiger barbs
6-8 green tiger barbs
10-12 cherry barbs

2) lake tang tank, no clue what fish i want, but i want a tank that has one or two predators, or maybe a lake tang community ( suggestions are cool )

3) if i can not rehome my oscar, its going to be an oscar and blood parrot tank, and ill redo my whole 55 gallon

4) if i do rehome my oscar, ill move the blood parrots and add one more blood parrot to complete it

i know its early, but i cant stop thinking about it lol, i really hope it gets here safely , thanks for all the suggestions ^_^ and please put in your own ideas as well

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
No, they don't destroy plants. I don't think the cherry barbs would do well with the tiger barbs, though, and I don't think my gold barbs like being with the tiger barbs. The rosy barbs are doing well with the tigers, despite being long finned. They are in a 55.

maxima423

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
oh really, do you know which barbs will go with each other? i do not mind ordering online, i would like around 3 different school of barbs

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You could do cherry and gold barbs, with maybe clown barbs - they have a similar color pattern as tiger barbs. Ant they get bigger than the cherry and golds, so I think it'll look better in the tank.

RogueAgent94

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Stripped barbs are also a possibility. You get the tiger barb look (kinda) without the attitude.

maxima423

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
awesome I'll look into both suggestions

would a black ghost knife fish be able to live in a 75 gallon??

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Long term, no absolutely not. Short term, yes, if you got a smaller one.

maxima423

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
okay, well I'll think about the barbs, I really want an insane barb tank =] time to do some research

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Like i said before, my tigers and rosy barbs are doing very well together, and I think they would qualify for an insane barb tank. The gold and cherry barbs are too mellow for such a tank, IME.

I don't know much about them, but petsmart has started carrying denison barbs. They are usually super expensive, yet very cheap at petsmart.

maxima423

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
rehomed the oscar, he went to a 180g with three other oscars that are just a tad bigger, going to miss him =[

GBR.Moorrreeee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Lake Tang tanks are extremely cool. With a 75 I would do a family of Shell dwellers such as N. Multifuscis (You can have a whole colony with several generations in A 10 GALLON, imagine a 75!!!), and some Cyps or Paracyps In the top, and maybe some Julidochromis, Chalinochromis or Larger Lamprologus/Neolamprologus. Or a different shelldweler and some Altolamprologus (Extremely Cool), maybe a synodontis catfish. I can't think of any stocking lists off my head though. Here a good websites to get an idea for the types of fish http://www.suephoto.com/index.php/galeria/index/5/87.

maxima423

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
yea i have thought about that lol, but since i rehomed my oscar, i only have two choices right now

1 - move my two BP's and add one or two more ( i think the biggest BP is getting aggressive, i see a chunk of skin missing from one of my cories, and i am getting worried )
2- if i decide not to move my two BP's, i am going to go with a , they seem really interesting, and i want to do something else instead of a community tank, i just want one mean kid that will just have the whole tank to itself =]

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom