75 Gallon Stocking

Discussion in 'African Cichlids' started by Kobobird, Aug 6, 2017.

1. Kobobird

KobobirdValued MemberMember

Well after being $200 dollars into a saltwater tank I realized I should probably put saltwater on hold until I have a stable job (I'm only 14). Anyway I now have a 75 gallon that's empty and we all know that it's impossible to keep an empty tank for long (mts is killing me slowly lol). So I already have American cichlids in another 75 and I have tangynikans in a 55, so I was looking into some Malawi cichlids. I really like mbuna and wanted some opinions. Orange is my favorite color (maybe that's why I love my blood parrot so much) and I was leaning towards red zebras or kenyi. So any suggestions are welcome and appreciated!

2. Katie13

Katie13Fishlore VIPMember

Red Zebras would look great! I have Melanochromis Auratus.

3. OP
    OP
    Kobobird

Oooh Auratus look really pretty! I'm thinking I'm gonna go with red zebras. Does anyone know a good male to female ratio and how many I could have In the tank?

4. Lance0414

Lance0414Well Known MemberMember

How about this stock(I am not that good at African Cichlid stocks, but i know these are some of the most peaceful Malawi Cichlids, and usually work together)-
    16 Acei(1 Male 15 Females)
    16 Yellow Labs(1 Male 15 Females)
    16 Peacock(1 Male 15 Females)
    16 Rusty(1 Male 15 Female)
    6 Jewel(1 Male 5 Females)

5. OP
    OP
    Kobobird

That sounds like a lot even for a 75 gallon. I'm thinking on just picking one type of mbuna because I'm hoping for babies. Could I really fit that many fish in there though?

6. Lance0414

With African Cichlids you want to overstock a little, @fissh knows more than me, he can help you.

7. Claire Bear

Claire BearWell Known MemberMember

I raised cobalt blue and orange zebras for quite some time. I loved how they were just so active and gorgeous. It sounds like you have a plan! Here is a picture of my 120g and many were raised and given away from this tank! :) They are prolific!

Attached Files:

8. aquarium veteran

aquarium veteranNew MemberMember

Remember any cichlid is ok but if you love blood parrots they get big I had 3 in a 55gal and lost them to water shock treatments from the water lines. But just know I have the large marble freshwater angel fish which is a member of the cichlid family and a new baby blood parrot can't wait til it big. I'm thinking of another marble and blood parrot. I have had good luck with them and raised dawf lionfish when I lived in the new Orleans area because of grass shrimp (brown shrimp) so you get ready for the need to start a good running salt tank I have the knowledge for you.

9. OP
    OP
    Kobobird

Good point I forgot about that

10. Lance0414

Parrots are American Cichlids needing a different tank setup.

11. OP
    OP
    Kobobird

Sounds good. When I'm ready for saltwater I'll be sure to ask you

12. OP
    OP
    Kobobird

Oh they're beautiful! I think I'm sold on red zebra now

13. OP
    OP
    Kobobird

I know. Mine's in my 75 gallon American cichlid tank

14. fissh

fisshWell Known MemberMember

If you like red zebra than you could mix them with cobalts, albino, ob, all zebras and a very colorful mix. Buy your fish small. all the types I recommended are colorful as babies for both male and female. If you have enough fish the sex ratio doesn't matter as much. I would get 35 to 40 babies, so you will end up with 30 plus adults.

DSCN4958.JPGDSCN4720.JPGDSCN5025.JPGDSCN5061.JPGDSCN5025.JPGDSCN5061.JPGDSCN5149.JPG

15. OP
    OP
    Kobobird

That sounds great! I'm thinking of red zebra, blue cobalt, and albino. I'll make sure to buy them small too. What's the average time span till they reach sexual maturity?

16. Claire Bear

Claire BearWell Known MemberMember

I had the albino as well later on. It seems a few month but not long at all! I had a huge amount when I decided to downsize from 40 tanks. I now have three-one coral with fish, one with parrots and a JD. And the last is Opae Ula brackish.
    Good luck!

17. fissh

fisshWell Known MemberMember

7 t0 9 months, from the time you get them @ 1 1/4 to 2 inches.

18. OP
    OP
    Kobobird

a4d271745e259b33e5678ec89a0d1669.jpg Does this look like a good rock scape?

19. Lance0414

Maybe make a cave on top of a cave so that it adds more height.

20. OP
    OP
    Kobobird

Awesome. Will do

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice