75 gallon stocking

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Akeath, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Akeath

AkeathValued MemberMember

I think I've finally figured out the choices I want for my 75 gallon aquarium, and wanted to run it by you guys to double check that I'm not overstocked and that everyone would get along well, and that the water conditions would be good for all the species involved.

Stocking plan is:
    10 Harlequin Rasboras (Trigonostigma heteromorpha)
    11 Gold Tetras (Hemigrammus rodwayi)
    18 Panda Cories (Corydoras panda)
    1 male Bristlenose Pleco (Ancistrus sp., not sure on the exact one)
    1 female Honey Gourami (Trichogaster chuna)
    10 Black Neon Tetras (Hyphessobrycon herbertaxelrodi)

Tank specs:
    75 gallons
    6.6 pH
    10 gH
    74 degrees
    Ammonia and Nitrites are consistently 0 ppm, Nitrates are usually well below 20 ppm
    Weekly 40-50% water changes

Also, I think I might have to baffle my Penguin 350 B filter for the comfort of the Gourami, so any suggestions on how to manage that well would be welcome. My other filter is an Aquaclear 70 that can easily be adjusted. I didn't know if the Penguin should be baffled differently on account of having the biowheels where one would normally use a water bottle baffler. Or should I wait and see how the Gourami reacts to the current in the tank before baffling it?

2. Matt B

Matt BWell Known MemberMember

That should be a very active, interesting tank. :) I would leave the penguin as is, some fish appreciate an area of the tank with more current, you can always baffle it later if its an issue and in a tank that size she should be able to get out of the current if desired. I'm not sure on the diy baffles for penguins, I don't use that brand of filter.

3. OP
    OP
    Akeath

I'll leave the Penguin as is for now, then. I just started adding the Black Neons, and have now found that the tank population as a whole looks kind've dull colored now. I was wondering if I might have room for another school of Neon Tetras (between 10-15 maybe) without being overstocked? Or would that be overdoing it?

4. OP
    OP
    Akeath

Actually, I just spent a lot of the day researching the Neons. Scratch that. Rather, could I possibly add 12 Rummy-noses to the stock?

5. luke355027355027Well Known MemberMember

You could add some runny noses but i would really look into rainbowfish they are extremely colorful but just make sure you get a smaller species

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice