75 gallon Stocking suggestions? Help 

James95

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi all,

I'm about to set up my new 75 gallon tank. I want to try and consolidate all my fish into this tank. Whichever fish are incompatible will be traded in at my LFS... I'm really trying to streamline. Anyway, I want to list all my fish and if you guys could suggest how to stock the new tank that would be a huge help!

2 blood parrots
1 blue acara
1 common pleco
1 silver dollar
1 angelfish
5 platies
3 mollies
3 black skirt tetras

I was thinking I could trade in the blue acara, combine everyone else and then add more black skirt tetras. Does that sound good? I'm afraid the blue acara will beat up the angelfish, platies, and mollies. I also think the pleco should be traded in. He's a total poop machine and it's become a chore to try and feed him without my blood parrots stealing all this food.

LunaSky

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
You should get at least three more silver dollars as they should be in a small school. I would keep the blue acara and not the angelfish. Angelfish can be aggressive to any fish while the acara is a little more peaceful. If the bloody parrots eat the plecos food, just add more food to accommodate all three fish but at the same time, trying not to over feed them all. I would get three or more extra blackskirt tetras as they can fin nip and having more will reduce that behavior.

James95

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
LunaSky said:
You should get at least three more silver dollars as they should be in a small school. I would keep the blue acara and not the angelfish. Angelfish can be aggressive to any fish while the acara is a little more peaceful. If the bloody parrots eat the plecos food, just add more food to accommodate all three fish but at the same time, trying not to over feed them all. I would get three or more extra blackskirt tetras as they can fin nip and having more will reduce that behavior.
Thanks! My silver dollar actually schools with the tetras... It's kind of funny acutally. So I figured just adding more tetras would solve the schooling issues.

The blue acara is actually quite nasty all of a sudden. I used to have him mixed with community fish and then one day he suddenly decided to start chasing everyone around. The angel, on the other hand, gets along pretty well with my platies and mollies.

I've tried everything to get the pleco his food without the BPs stealing it. I've tried adding more food, feeding him in the middle of the night, etc. Nothing works. I even tried putting food in his cave and that turned into a mess... I woke up in the morning and one of the BPs was wedged in the cave. He got stuck trying to steal the pleco's food!

Thanks for the recommendations!

LunaSky

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
What are you feeding the pleco that the parrots are stealing? Wafers or veggies?

As for the angel and acara, every fish has a personality. You obviously know them better then I do, so do what you think is right. I was just speaking from my own experience.

As for the tetras, I would still get more silver dollars. They are great looking fish anyway and I think your silver dollar would enjoy having more of its own in there.

James95

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
LunaSky said:
What are you feeding the pleco that the parrots are stealing? Wafers or veggies?

As for the angel and acara, every fish has a personality. You obviously know them better then I do, so do what you think is right. I was just speaking from my own experience.

As for the tetras, I would still get more silver dollars. They are great looking fish anyway and I think your silver dollar would enjoy having more of its own in there.
Sounds great! I feed the pleco zucchini, which the parrots go crazy for, and algae wafers that the parrots flat out eat because the wafers small enough.

I agree- every fish has an individual personality and temperament. If they were all the same it would make things much easier!

So how does this sound:

2 blood parrots
4 silver dollars
6 black skirt tetras
1 angelfish
3 mollies
5 platies

Thanks again for all your help!

LunaSky

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
For a 75 gallon that sounds good. It is not over stocked and they are all active fish. Have fun as you continue to build your aquatic life.

James95

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks, LunaSky!

TELL

Reaction score
Silver dollars like to school so I'd get more of them.

tdw1989

Valued Member
Reaction score
I personally think a large tank looks great with a big school of small fish

James95

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I agree, Tell! Working on getting a few more silver dollars for the tank. It should be fantastic!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom