75 gallon stocking question

Dragonnette

I have a 75 gallon tank with one pair of angelfish, 9 congo tetra, 4 bolivian rams and one probably stunted common pleco. He's apparently 5-6 years old and about 6-7 inches, so not huge. I am thinking of adding a single severum. Could this work? I read on the internet some say yes and others say no. I would start with a small one in hopes that it would grow used to my fish.
Any thoughts?

Passionfish

So in my experience with Angelfish, they tend to be very aggressive to any new fish you add in the tank after they've grown into it. I would advise you to stick with the fish you have, no matter how many more fish you can fit in it(you could probably get away with adding more fish of the same species). Again, this is just from my personal experience, so don't rely on me entirely. I don't.

connorjs1004

I agree with Passionfish.

A201

Since the Angels apparently tolerate the Bolivian Rams, adding a Severum is likely no problem.
A healthy Severum will grow plenty big enough to take care of himself.

Passionfish

Since the Angels apparently tolerate the Bolivian Rams, adding a Severum is likely no problem.
A healthy Severum will grow plenty big enough to take care of himself.
But could it depend on the size of the severum when it is first introduced? The Angelfish could kill it when it is still a juvenile right? I just want to see if I am right in any way.

A201

I suppose if one kept a particularly big & territorial Angel, life could be rough for a newly introduced quarter sized Severum.
Most Severums that I see for sale locally are about the size of a silver dollar, or bigger. Plenty big enough to withstand the wrath of most Angelfish.
It's been my experience that introducing a new Cichlid into an established Cichlid Community can result in a pretty uncomfortable time for the new guy. Once the new pecking order is established, about three days, things settle down.
Introducing several new Cichlids at once usually makes things easier.
It's important to select only the most robust, vibrant fish from the vendor's tank, as to increase the chances of surviving the stressful acclimation period.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
NoahLikesFish
Replies
Views
djetta
Replies
Views
johnmaddox
Replies