75 Gallon Stocking Idea - 2nd Update

Shrimpie

Active Member
Member
Messages
65
Reaction score
41
Location
Chicago, IL
you should be good, as long as you don't keep any other tang in the tank you will be alright.

just an fyi. I'm going based on my experience I've had. A yellow tang in a 75 gallon with a 30 gallon sump.
 

Smalltownfishfriend

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,030
Reaction score
2,093
Experience
2 years
It sounds like a lot of big mean fish!!lol I don't know a whole lot about saltwater but I do enjoy following these kinds of threads to learn!!
 

Jesterrace

Well Known
Member
Messages
3,250
Reaction score
1,329
Experience
3 years
CHAMELEON_BREEZE said:
How does this sound for a 75 gallon tank?

Longnose Butterfly

Yellow Tang

Occelaris Clownfish

Green Chromis

Green Clown Goby

5 Zebra Hermit Crabs

Snowflake Moray (optional)

Coral Beauty, Fisher's, OR Flame Angel (which one?)
Longnose Butterfly-Gets 9 inches and needs a minimum of 125 gallons

Racoon Butterflyfish-8 inches max and needs a minimum of 125 gallons AND IT IS NOT REEF SAFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That means Corals and Inverts will definitely be on the menu

Yellow Tang-Tend to do well until they get about 4-5 inches and then get very aggressive in a 4 foot long tank (I had to boot one out of my 90 gallon). They get 8 inches long and actually get taller than that when fully grown. Mine caused significant damage to my Coral Beauty Dwarf Angel (took a chunk out of it's lower fin) and repeatedly hit it with it's tail scalpel causing visible damage. Thank Goodness my CB is a rapid healer and it bounced back. Either way I don't recommend Yellow Tangs for tanks smaller than about 5-6 feet long, for long term keeping. Zebrasoma family (ie Yellow, Purple, Sailfin) are among the more aggressive Tangs.

Chromis should be avoided since they tend to pick each other off over time and many are shipping with disease these days

I would skip the eel. I believe they do better in a dedicated predator tank and any small fish or invert that gets near it is a potential meal (ie Clown Goby)

As for the Dwarf Angel, IMHO the best bang for buck is by far the Coral Beauty and it should do very well in a 75 gallon tank. Many gravitate towards the Flame Angel for it's bold colors that stand out from a distance but Flames tend to be one of the more aggressive Dwarf Angels (I know more folks who have had to remove them for aggression issues than other Dwarf Angels, myself included). At $35 they are generally one of the most affordable of the dwarfs and provided you get one from Fiji, they are super hardy (Indonesian collection methods often compromise the durability of the ones from there). Mine has gone through ich, an aggressive Yellow Tang, scrapes and bumps, a traumatic removal from the LFS (it bit the net and wouldn't let go) and it keeps healing up and bouncing back. Fisher's Angels and Flame Angels are also generally a bit more delicate than the Coral Beauty. Not saying you can't get a hardy one, I'm just saying that generally speaking the Coral Beauty is one of the hardiest of the Dwarf Angels.

Not sure if you are doing reef or fish only, but as you may have heard all Dwarf angels can be a risk for nipping at corals. That said the Coral Beauty tends to be one of the more recommended ones for long term success. It does help IMHO to wait until your tank is well established with algae growing for them to graze on and to offer a small bit of seaweed/norI daily. Once again, it doesn't guarantee success but it will increase the odds of success.

Another fish that is pushing it a bit for the size of your tank, but would be a much better fit than the Tang or Butterflyfish is the One Spot Foxface. This is what I replaced my Yellow Tang with and I have no regrets. They are Yellow and slender profile algae eater like the Yellow Tang but are a much better tank mate and as long as you keep it well fed they are totally safe with reefs

Also, I have to admonish you. You are you are making the newbie mistake of not looking at Wrasses and you need to as there are many that would be wonderful additions to a 75 gallon tank.

Here is but one example:

 

Jesterrace

Well Known
Member
Messages
3,250
Reaction score
1,329
Experience
3 years
DEFINITELY NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


The Yellow Tang is one of the more aggressive tangs and needs a 5-6 foot long tank to be kept long term. What happens is that people get Yellow Tangs small at around 2-3 inches and then drop them in a tank like a 75 gallon and they tend to do well at first, then when they hit 4-5 inches they basically hit puberty and turn into territorial/aggressive buttheads. I had one about 4 inches that did well for about a month and then suddenly declared my entire 90 gallon tank as it's own turf (causing physical harm and intimidation to my Coral Beauty and tried to intimidate my Melanurus Wrasse).

The only tangs I recommend for a 75 gallon for a prolonged period of time are ONE of the following:



Also make sure that the Tang is the last fish you add to the tank
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #11
OP
CHAMELEON_BREEZE

CHAMELEON_BREEZE

Active Member
Member
Messages
299
Reaction score
9
Location
The Island of O'ahu, Hawai'i
Oh yeah! I forgot to add the Pink Streaked Wrasse to the list!

How does this sound?

Bristletooth TominI Tang

Occelaris Clownfish (which I have in a 10 gallon already)

Green Chromis (which I have in a 10 gallon already)

Green Clown Goby (which I have in a 10 gallon already)

5 Zebra Hermit Crabs

Coral Beauty Angel

BanggaI Cardinal

Hawaiian Squirrelfish

Flame Hawkfish

Pink Streaked Wrasse

Blue Spotted Puffer

(I can reduce this if this is too much fish)
 

Culprit

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
4,810
Reaction score
4,151
Location
Tennessee
Experience
4 years
If you want, you actually have a few options with tangs. 1. Purple tang. The prettiest but also the meanest. Not as mean as the yellow, so it will work in a 4 foot 75, but you can only have one. Or, you could mix and match any of the bristletooths and get two. TominI and Kole are the common ones but there's lots more. I'm actually debating right now because I can't decide between one purple or a tominI and a kole. Its so hard lol

I'm guessing this is going to be purely FOWLR? No corals? The puffer will eat your inverts, and the coral beauty will more then likely nip your coral.

Imo... I would ditch the pink streaked wrasse, and get a yellow coris. A lot braver then the pink streaked, as the pink streaked is said to hide a lot. My coris has been out and about with super interesting behaviour from day 1. I'd also suggest 1 or 2 fairy wrasses. I would also definitely throw a blenny in, lots of interesting personality and a great algae eater.

To give you an example, I upgraded to a 75 last week (it had been in the works for a while, just finally transferred). Stocking currently is a firefish, tailspot blenny, 2 clowns, and a yellow coris wrasse. I'm going to be pretty much stocking as I go, but I have a rough idea. Right now I'm working on QTing a batch of small fish to fill in the details. Blue neon gobys, bangaiI cardinals, ect. Then, if I decide on the bristletooths, Ill go ahead and get them in. Then when its matured enough I'm putting in 4-5 fairy wrasses of all different types. Finally, at the very end, a trio of anthias.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #13
OP
CHAMELEON_BREEZE

CHAMELEON_BREEZE

Active Member
Member
Messages
299
Reaction score
9
Location
The Island of O'ahu, Hawai'i
Should I get a tang? The tank I'm looking at on craigslist is 36 inches long. Also, I already have Zoanthids in my 10 gallon. So, unless I keep them in the 10, they will most likely go in the 75 or to someone else.
 

Jesterrace

Well Known
Member
Messages
3,250
Reaction score
1,329
Experience
3 years
CHAMELEON_BREEZE said:
How does this sound?

Bristletooth TominI Tang

Occelaris Clownfish (which I have in a 10 gallon already)

Green Chromis (which I have in a 10 gallon already)

Green Clown Goby (which I have in a 10 gallon already)

5 Zebra Hermit Crabs

Coral Beauty Angel

BanggaI Cardinal

Hawaiian Squirrelfish

Flame Hawkfish

Pink Streaked Wrasse

Blue Spotted Puffer

(I can reduce this if this is too much fish)
I agree with Culprit on the Puffer and the Wrasse (you can definitely get a much better bang for buck Wrasse). I disagree with adding any Zebrasoma Tang to a 75 gallon for it's entire life. Purple Tangs are also pretty expensive (ie $100-$150) and get 10 inches long when fully grown which means they will occupy nearly 1/4 of the length of the 75 gallon without even having to move and are an active and aggressive fish to boot. Smaller Bristletooths really are the only long term solution/best chance for success in a 4 foot long tank. I forgot that you have a single green chromis. It should be fine with the single one, just don't get any more and they won't pick each other off.

I also have to disagree with Culprit on the Coral Beauty. Many people keep them long term without Coral nipping issues. Not saying they won't nip at corals, I'm just saying that many folks (myself included) keep them in their reefs long term with few issues. Mine does take the occasional exploratory nip but clearly doesn't like the taste and moves on quickly. It doesn't hurt my corals for the long term. As mentioned above it also increases one's chance of success to have algae growing for them to graze on and supplement with a small daily seaweed feeding. Coral additions such as Euphyllia (ie Frogspawn, Hammer, Torch) are also less tasty and desirable to them, so adding some to your reef will definitely add color and will increase your chances of success.

I do agree with getting bigger wrasses and changing it up with a mix of different species.

Sand Burying Wrasses:



Non Sand Burying Wrasses:



CHAMELEON_BREEZE said:
Should I get a tang? The tank I'm looking at on craigslist is 36 inches long. Also, I already have Zoanthids in my 10 gallon. So, unless I keep them in the 10, they will most likely go in the 75 or to someone else.
Yikes, if it's only a 3 foot length then I would eliminate any tang from the list, the Squirrelfish, and I would eliminate both the Hawkfish if you plan on having your Clown Goby in there (they will eat smaller fish).
 

Culprit

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
4,810
Reaction score
4,151
Location
Tennessee
Experience
4 years
Jesterrace said:
I agree with Culprit on the Puffer and the Wrasse (you can definitely get a much better bang for buck Wrasse). I disagree with adding any Zebrasoma Tang to a 75 gallon for it's entire life. Purple Tangs are also pretty expensive (ie $100-$150) and get 10 inches long when fully grown which means they will occupy nearly 1/4 of the length of the 75 gallon without even having to move and are an active and aggressive fish to boot. Smaller Bristletooths really are the only long term solution/best chance for success in a 4 foot long tank. I forgot that you have a single green chromis. It should be fine with the single one, just don't get any more and they won't pick each other off.

I also have to disagree with Culprit on the Coral Beauty. Many people keep them long term without Coral nipping issues. Not saying they won't nip at corals, I'm just saying that many folks (myself included) keep them in their reefs long term with few issues. Mine does take the occasional exploratory nip but clearly doesn't like the taste and moves on quickly. It doesn't hurt my corals for the long term. As mentioned above it also increases one's chance of success to have algae growing for them to graze on and supplement with a small daily seaweed feeding. Coral additions such as Euphyllia (ie Frogspawn, Hammer, Torch) are also less tasty and desirable to them, so adding some to your reef will definitely add color and will increase your chances of success.

I do agree with getting bigger wrasses and changing it up with a mix of different species.

Sand Burying Wrasses:



Non Sand Burying Wrasses:
Agreed on the purple tang. In my tank its only going to be setup for two years and I can just swap it in at my LFS if it gets too big. Tangs grow slowly for the most part, and if you get it as a baby you could easily get quite a few years out of it. But smaller bristletooths are definitely the way to go. Plus purples can be absolute buttholes

Just saw the 36" post. I would definitely NOT get a tang in a 3 foot tank. After seeing even how much my clowns, wrasse, and firefish roam around a tang would be a definite no-no. Only in a 4 foot tank and up.

On the coral beauty. Yes, I know lots of people keep them safely in reefs. I will be trying one once my corals grow in enough that even if it did nip it wouldn't be a problem. However, there's a least a 50% chance it will nip,and for a beginner its better to just avoid possibly risky or problematic fish.
 

Jesterrace

Well Known
Member
Messages
3,250
Reaction score
1,329
Experience
3 years
Culprit said:
Agreed on the purple tang. In my tank its only going to be setup for two years and I can just swap it in at my LFS if it gets too big. Tangs grow slowly for the most part, and if you get it as a baby you could easily get quite a few years out of it. But smaller bristletooths are definitely the way to go. Plus purples can be absolute buttholes

Just saw the 36" post. I would definitely NOT get a tang in a 3 foot tank. After seeing even how much my clowns, wrasse, and firefish roam around a tang would be a definite no-no. Only in a 4 foot tank and up.

On the coral beauty. Yes, I know lots of people keep them safely in reefs. I will be trying one once my corals grow in enough that even if it did nip it wouldn't be a problem. However, there's a least a 50% chance it will nip,and for a beginner its better to just avoid possibly risky or problematic fish.
With the Coral Beauty the odds are better than that (I would say somewhere between 60/40-70/30) and given that I recommend that a person waits until they have algae growing in their tank for ANY dwarf angel, it won't be a fish that he adds for a few months. There are certain varieties of Dwarf Angels that are worse than others for coral nipping, as well as the ones that do nip and thus all dwarf angels get a bad rap for it.

The Dwarf and Pygmy Angels that tend to do better than average with Coral nipping:

Coral Beauty
Flame Angel
Potter's Angel
Cherubfish (aka Pygmy Angel)

Those that tend to be worse than average:

Lemon Peel
EiblI (aka Red Striped)
Half Black
Bi-Color (also one of the most difficult ones to keep alive)
Flameback Pygmy Angel

I haven't seen enough info on the rest to say one way or the other.
 

Jesterrace

Well Known
Member
Messages
3,250
Reaction score
1,329
Experience
3 years
For saltwater there is no new 75 gallon setup that will be anywhere near that cheap, even just the pre-drilled standard 75 gallon display tank ITSELF will run $200-$300 from the best vendor. I hate to say it but you are going to just have to be patient and wait for the best deal to come around on Craigslist. I waited nearly 3 months to line up the deal on my current 90 gallon setup (got it from my LFS). Also even for a complete used drilled standard 75 gallon setup you are likely going to need to bump it up between about $300-$500 and that won't include the sand, live rock, saltwater, etc. I know you are really young so earning money is difficult, but are there odd jobs you can do to earn some extra cash to fund the expensive hobby you have chosen?

Just to give you an idea of how a basic drilled setup with a sump functions, here is a vid that I did on my tank's setup:

 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #19
OP
CHAMELEON_BREEZE

CHAMELEON_BREEZE

Active Member
Member
Messages
299
Reaction score
9
Location
The Island of O'ahu, Hawai'i
I don't really know. I tried to breed earthworms once, but that failed miserably. I could find a job. I'm 13, however, so I need to be an entrepreneur on Craigslist or something.

Nah, forget the tang. What are some other good fish that can go in a 3 foot 75 gallon tank? Foxface, maybe?
 

Jesterrace

Well Known
Member
Messages
3,250
Reaction score
1,329
Experience
3 years
Foxface needs 4 feet as well and you would need to downgrade the Dwarf Angel to a Pygmy Angel (ie Cherubfish). It will also limit you to a Tricolor Wrasse or Flasher Wrasse:







(BTW Ignore the Lamarck's Angel, not sure why it got lumped in with the Flasher Wrasses, IT DEFINITELY WON'T WORK).

Also have you thought about mowing lawns in your area, given the fact that you live in a climate where things grow year round it could definitely be a lucrative business.
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
220
Guests online
3,490
Total visitors
3,710

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom