75 Gallon Stock?

thof123

Hey all,

So I currently have a 75 Gallon Mbuna tank and I'm planning on upgrading to a 125 Gallon. I'm going to build a stackable stand and keep my 75.

I'm planning on putting together a planted community tank with the 75.

Here's my stock. Is this viable? Can I add more or would this be fully stocked?

Glow Light Tetras 11x (I have these already in a smaller tank)
Neon Teteras 12x
Black Neon Tetras 12x
Albino Corydoras 6x
Gold Algae Eater 1x (have this already)
Green Phantom Pleco 1x
BosemanI Rainbowfish 4x
Dwarf Gouramis 4x

I know it's a lot of total fish but the tetras stay very small and I definitely want to incorporate some other type of upper / mid level fish with them.

FishFor2018

I wouldn't get more then one dwarf Gourami then tend to be aggressive toward each other but I have heard successes story so...It's up to you. Instead of a phantom pleco its better to get A Vampire Pleco so they are about the same size( this will help them get along better). What kind of filter will you have? Just trying to figure out if your bio load will be too big.

FishFor2018

Also keep the water temperature at 80 Degrees Fahrenheit

david1978

With all the trouble that everybody has been having with neons and since the other fish are warmer water fish I would look into cardinals instead.

thof123

With all the trouble that everybody has been having with neons and since the other fish are warmer water fish I would look into cardinals instead.

How many cardinals do you think I could fit in this tank? If I went with the glowlights and the one dwarf gourami and the rainbow fish? Would I be able to put in lyretails also?

thof123

I wouldn't get more then one dwarf Gourami then tend to be aggressive toward each other but I have heard successes story so...It's up to you. Instead of a phantom pleco its better to get A Vampire Pleco so they are about the same size( this will help them get along better). What kind of filter will you have? Just trying to figure out if your bio load will be too big.

Most likely a sponge filter since I would be running a Cascade canister filter on the 125 and I wouldn’t have room for both where they’d be set up. I’m open to two sponge filters if need be and to spend extra to make sure I get a good one to handle the tank.

FishFor2018

Okay so your bio load will be fine however, the gold algae eater can and WILL eat all your tetra's so he/she cannot be in the tank Good news, you can get the phantom pleco I would also get two sponge filter to help keep the tank clean. So if your stock list looks like this:
Glow Light Tetras 11x
Neon Teteras 12x
Black Neon Tetras 12x
Albino Corydoras 6x
Green Phantom Pleco 1x
BosemanI Rainbowfish 6x
Dwarf Gouramis 1x
Then your tank will look beautiful and they should all get along
Hope This Helps!

thof123

Okay so your bio load will be fine however, the gold algae eater can and WILL eat all your tetra's so he/she cannot be in the tank Good news, you can get the phantom pleco I would also get two sponge filter to help keep the tank clean. So if your stock list looks like this:
Glow Light Tetras 11x
Neon Teteras 12x
Black Neon Tetras 12x
Albino Corydoras 6x
Green Phantom Pleco 1x
BosemanI Rainbowfish 6x
Dwarf Gouramis 1x
Hope This Helps!

Awesome, thank you! Sounds good.

thof123

Glow Light Tetras 11x
Neon Teteras 12x
Black Neon Tetras 12x
Albino Corydoras 6x
Green Phantom Pleco 1x
BosemanI Rainbowfish 6x
Dwarf Gouramis 1x
Hope This Helps!

Say I wanted to keep the Golden Algae Eater... instead of going with tetras.. what would be my options?

Could I still house a school of rainbowfish, the gourami, the pleco, and possibly mollies/danios/swordtails or barbs?

Say I had
BomemanI Rainbows 6x
Phantom Plecox1
Dwarf Gourami x1
Golden Algae Eater 1x

What else could I add to this out of the other community fish? I know mollies and swordtails grow bigger than tetras. Even if I had less total fish I'd be okay with smaller schools and just keep the tetras I currently have in the tank I currently have them in.

Please let me know!

FishFor2018

Say I wanted to keep the Golden Algae Eater... instead of going with tetras.. what would be my options?

Could I still house a school of rainbowfish, the gourami, the pleco, and possibly mollies/danios/swordtails or barbs?

Say I had
BomemanI Rainbows 6x
Phantom Plecox1
Dwarf Gourami x1
Golden Algae Eater 1x

What else could I add to this out of the other community fish? I know mollies and swordtails grow bigger than tetras. Even if I had less total fish I'd be okay with smaller schools and just keep the tetras I currently have in the tank I currently have them in.

Please let me know!
okay so Danios, Gouramis, Mollies, Swordtails, Plecos and Scavenger Catfish can all go with a golden algae eater. here is my suggestion
BomemanI Rainbows 6x
Phantom Plecox1
Dwarf Gourami x1
Golden Algae Eater 1x
Male swordtails 4x
Pearl Danio 8x
Panda cory's 3x
albino cory's 3x

JLeeM

If you're going to get corys, you're better off sticking with all one variety. Especially if you want to breed them ever. Also, panda corys require cooler water than the previously mentioned 80 degree Fahrenheit.

thof123

okay so Danios, Gouramis, Mollies, Swordtails, Plecos and Scavenger Catfish can all go with a golden algae eater. here is my suggestion
BomemanI Rainbows 6x
Phantom Plecox1
Dwarf Gourami x1
Golden Algae Eater 1x
Male swordtails 4x
Pearl Danio 8x
Panda cory's 3x
albino cory's 3x

I'd probably want a school of Panda's. My local fish store doesn't hold them often though. They had a ton of albinos last week lol. I can definitely work with this stock though! Still lots of fish and I get to keep my algae eater. I actually like the fish a lot so I was hoping to be able to keep it.

Thanks for the help.

thof123

So sorry for the inability to settle in on a stock but I've done a bit more research and decided to switch out some fish. Would this work for a 75 gal planted? If I couldn't manage both species of Cory's I'd do one school of 6 of one species.

Dwarf Gourami 1x
Celestial Pearl Danio 6x
German Blue Ram 2x
BosemanI Rainbows 5x
Glowlight Tetras 11x
Sterba's Corydora Catfish 4x
JuliI Corydora Catfish 4x
Golden Nugget Pleco 1x

thof123

The celestial pearl danios need much cooler water than the rest.

I'd do this
1 angelfish
4 German Blue Rams
8-10 BosemanI Rainbows
10 cherry barbs
12 cardinal tetras
15 SterbaI cories
1Golden Nugget Pleco

Would it be possible to do 6 sterbaI and 6 juliI Cory’s? Also I think I’d be interested in this stock for sure but this seems like a lot? Wouldn’t this be overstocked for a 75?

BottomDweller

If you want 2 different types do 8 of each.
JuliI cories need cooler water but you could do 8 sterbais and 8 bronze cories.

I don't think it's overstocked but you could drop the barbs if you want. I like to understock my own tanks and I think it's best if you stock very slowly so you can decide for yourself if the tank looks too crowded but this isn't for everyone.

Random Great Thread!

New Aquarium Stocking Threads

Latest Aquarium Threads

Top Bottom