75 Gallon Reef Tank Stocking

MarvinTheBetta

Valued Member
Messages
96
Reaction score
29
Points
43
Experience
3 years
Hello! I am getting my first saltwater tank this summer and it is 75 gallons. I want bigger but there is space issues. What types of corals and fish Can I have in it? I know I want clownfish a snowflake eel and a blue tang. Please comment a stocking list including those fish and include corals in it to. Thank you!
 

Maggie321

Valued Member
Messages
98
Reaction score
40
Points
63
Experience
5 to 10 years
I know tangs need a lot of swimming room. I think 75 is ok for some types of tang but a blue tang needs more like 180g according to live aquaria. Plus I have heard that that specific type of tang is especially sensitive and is prone to illness. Do a bit more research on types of tang that can fit in a 75. Example is the kole yellow eyed tang, a bristle tooth tomini tang, a two spot bristle tooth tang, and squaretail bristle tooth tang. I think the kole tang is probably my favorite out of those.
 

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Messages
2,988
Reaction score
1,146
Points
198
Experience
1 year
The Blue Tang will reach approximately a foot in length when fully grown and transferring a fish once it gets to big is just plain cruel to the fish as it is never as smooth and simple as it sounds. Maggie has some great advice there on Tangs that will work in a 75 gallon, unfortunately the colors won't pop the way a Blue Tang does, if you do want a Tang with bright colors about the only option for your 75 gallon (and it's pushing it as is) is the Yellow Tang. I will be adding one shortly to my 90 gallon and have seen a number of people keep a Yellow Tang long term in a 75 gallon with good results. One of the things you will want to make a decision on is corals as it makes a fairly big difference in your stocking options for fish (as some fish are known coral nibblers and some are more prone to go after certain types than others). I only have a couple of Euphyllia Coral frags in my tank (ie Frogspawn and Hammer) and will be trying out a Coral Beauty Dwarf Angel shortly as well and they are known nibblers of coral. You could go with a Dwarf Angel of some form and there are several that have stunning colors.

Here are my Euphyllia Corals:


Here is my Yellow Tang and Coral Beauty in QT *Note* this vid does not do the Coral Beauty Dwarf Angel's colors justice

 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #4

MarvinTheBetta

Valued Member
Messages
96
Reaction score
29
Points
43
Experience
3 years
Jesterrace said:
The Blue Tang will reach approximately a foot in length when fully grown and transferring a fish once it gets to big is just plain cruel to the fish as it is never as smooth and simple as it sounds. Maggie has some great advice there on Tangs that will work in a 75 gallon, unfortunately the colors won't pop the way a Blue Tang does, if you do want a Tang with bright colors about the only option for your 75 gallon (and it's pushing it as is) is the Yellow Tang. I will be adding one shortly to my 90 gallon and have seen a number of people keep a Yellow Tang long term in a 75 gallon with good results. One of the things you will want to make a decision on is corals as it makes a fairly big difference in your stocking options for fish (as some fish are known coral nibblers and some are more prone to go after certain types than others). I only have a couple of Euphyllia Coral frags in my tank (ie Frogspawn and Hammer) and will be trying out a Coral Beauty Dwarf Angel shortly as well and they are known nibblers of coral. You could go with a Dwarf Angel of some form and there are several that have stunning colors.

Here are my Euphyllia Corals:


Here is my Yellow Tang and Coral Beauty in QT *Note* this vid does not do the Coral Beauty Dwarf Angel's colors justice

Ok I think I will go with those corals! They are beautiful! I like the yellow tang and coral beauty! What other fish could I have with them? Will the clowns and snowflake eel work?
 

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Messages
2,988
Reaction score
1,146
Points
198
Experience
1 year
The clowns will work, but I'm not sure on the eel since they tend to eat small fish. Personally I feel that eels belong in a predator tank but the snowflake is probably the best eel for a mixed community. Also FYI they are escape artists, so make sure you have a very secure lid for that tank.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #6

MarvinTheBetta

Valued Member
Messages
96
Reaction score
29
Points
43
Experience
3 years
Jesterrace said:
The clowns will work, but I'm not sure on the eel since they tend to eat small fish. Personally I feel that eels belong in a predator tank but the snowflake is probably the best eel for a mixed community. Also FYI they are escape artists, so make sure you have a very secure lid for that tank.
Thanks for you suggestions, but can you just give me a couple of stocking list (including quantity) of all fish and corals please? I’m having a hard time with this. Thank you.
 

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Messages
2,988
Reaction score
1,146
Points
198
Experience
1 year
For a 75 gallon it really depends on the size of the fish and level of activity and the temperament of said fish. It's not like freshwater where you can stuff 20-30 fish in a 75 gallon tank and call it good. I tend to veer towards the lighter end of stocking since the fewer fish you have, the more space they have and the lighter bioload is easier on your tank.

1 pair of clownfish of the Occ (ie Nemo) or Percula Varieties
1 Yellow Tang
1 Coral Beauty Dwarf Angel (or your dwarf angel of choice)
1 snowflake eel (if you are dead set on it)

and 2-3 other larger size fishes (I would stay with larger fish so as not to tempt the eel). I would recommend getting a wrasse or two. Here are my personal favorite and they get about 6 inches when fully grown:


For Corals it all depends on what you want. Euphyllia Corals (as mentioned above) are very aggressive with growth and can actually kill other types of corals if they are placed close together so they need space. It also depends on whether you are going to purchase a single frag (fragment) or a rock that is covered with said coral. Be aware that corals are expensive and can add up very quickly. Those two frags shown in that video ran me about $70 and I guarantee you Harry Potter has WAY MORE than that invested in the corals in his tank. So I would figure out what your budget is first. On fish the pricing is roughly as follows:

Standard Occ and Percula Clowns: $20-$35 a piece, the custom varieties can get into the triple digits
Coral Beauty Dwarf Angel: $25-$35 unless you get a full size one or $70 if you want a Captive bred one from Biota
Yellow Tang: $35-$50
Snowflake Eel: $30-$50
Melanurus Wrasse: $30 for a small juvie-$45 for a medium sized male
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #9

MarvinTheBetta

Valued Member
Messages
96
Reaction score
29
Points
43
Experience
3 years
Jesterrace said:
For a 75 gallon it really depends on the size of the fish and level of activity and the temperament of said fish. It's not like freshwater where you can stuff 20-30 fish in a 75 gallon tank and call it good. I tend to veer towards the lighter end of stocking since the fewer fish you have, the more space they have and the lighter bioload is easier on your tank.

1 pair of clownfish of the Occ (ie Nemo) or Percula Varieties
1 Yellow Tang
1 Coral Beauty Dwarf Angel (or your dwarf angel of choice)
1 snowflake eel (if you are dead set on it)

and 2-3 other larger size fishes (I would stay with larger fish so as not to tempt the eel). I would recommend getting a wrasse or two. Here are my personal favorite and they get about 6 inches when fully grown:


For Corals it all depends on what you want. Euphyllia Corals (as mentioned above) are very aggressive with growth and can actually kill other types of corals if they are placed close together so they need space. It also depends on whether you are going to purchase a single frag (fragment) or a rock that is covered with said coral. Be aware that corals are expensive and can add up very quickly. Those two frags shown in that video ran me about $70 and I guarantee you Harry Potter has WAY MORE than that invested in the corals in his tank. So I would figure out what your budget is first. On fish the pricing is roughly as follows:

Standard Occ and Percula Clowns: $20-$35 a piece, the custom varieties can get into the triple digits
Coral Beauty Dwarf Angel: $25-$35 unless you get a full size one or $70 if you want a Captive bred one from Biota
Yellow Tang: $35-$50
Snowflake Eel: $30-$50
Melanurus Wrasse: $30 for a small juvie-$45 for a medium sized male
That sounds good! My budget is about 1000 to 1200. I like those fish. I also want a wrasse could I get a dotty back? And maybe a goby and shrimp? Thanks for taking your time to answer my questions
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #11

MarvinTheBetta

Valued Member
Messages
96
Reaction score
29
Points
43
Experience
3 years
Jesterrace said:
The issue with the dottybacks and gobies are that they are potential food for the eel.
Oh... ok so what about for 3 extra fish a wrasse a damsel and a chromis. If they have to school then 2 damsels.
 

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Messages
2,988
Reaction score
1,146
Points
198
Experience
1 year
Damsels and Chromis are more trouble than they are worth. Damsels like to bully and intimidate other fish and Chromis tend to pick each other off over time.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #13

MarvinTheBetta

Valued Member
Messages
96
Reaction score
29
Points
43
Experience
3 years
Jesterrace said:
Damsels and Chromis are more trouble than they are worth. Damsels like to bully and intimidate other fish and Chromis tend to pick each other off over time.
Ok I’ll just have 2 wrasses
 

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Messages
2,988
Reaction score
1,146
Points
198
Experience
1 year
MarvinTheBetta said:
Ok I’ll just have 2 wrasses
Just make sure that the wrasses are of the different parent family and you should be fine. i.e. a Melanurus and a Fairy Wrasse or a Melanurus and a Flasher Wrasse.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #15

MarvinTheBetta

Valued Member
Messages
96
Reaction score
29
Points
43
Experience
3 years
Jesterrace said:
Just make sure that the wrasses are of the different parent family and you should be fine. i.e. a Melanurus and a Fairy Wrasse or a Melanurus and a Flasher Wrasse.
Ok I’ll do it! I’m getting excited!
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom