75 Gallon Red Tailed Shark Tank Mates

Mendellen

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Since my Red Tailed Shark is all grown up I decided to upgrade her from a 30 gallon tank to a 75 gallon tank. It's still in the process of cycling so it's a bit cloudy right now (attached picture). Currently I have the RTS and her friend an angelicus botia plus 5 black phantom tetras waiting to go in. I am planning on adding some top swimmers as well and am hoping for some suggestions. This RTS isn't too bothersome with other fish, she'll chase them away if they enter her territory (front + bottom + middle of the tank) just until they leave and otherwise is good. The botia she lets anywhere and shares eveything with. Any suggestion is open but I'm partial to a larger group of smaller fish, around 1.5 - 4 inches.

Water

- PH is currently 7.0
- GH 90
- Temperature 24C / 75F

Tank Setup

- 75 Gallon
- 350 GPH Marineland Penguin Filter
- 1050 GPH Wave Pump
- 2700 Lumen Full Spectrum LED light
- Eco-Complete Substrate
- Lava Rocks + RTS Cave
- Spiderwood Driftwood
- (The tank lid is being built)

Plants

- Micranthemum
- Cabomba Purple & Green
- Bacoba Caroliniana
- Alternanthera Reineckii

Also if someone knows more about wave pumps, I haven't tried it out yet as the plants haven't fully rooted. I'm not sure what strength I should set it to. It's adjustable in 10% increments up to 1050 GPH. If not I guess i'll play around with it until something goes wrong and go down from there.

Fashooga

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The Marineland 350...that might be a concern...that’s only rated up to 70 G.

Mendellen

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
The Marineland 350...that might be a concern...that’s only rated up to 70 G.
Oh, hopefully it's ok... It says 75 Gallon on the box but when I google search it also says 70 gallon by a number of places that sell it. I'll have to see how it goes I guess. Luckily my LFS is pretty good with exchanges if it comes to that. Thanks for catching that.

Mendellen

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
So I discovered that the filter provides two additional slots so you can run two filter pads back to back in addition to the two side by side. I'll set it up this way, so there will be four filter pads total. That should be more than enough filtration I believe? Also, I turned on the powerhead, works like a charm at 20%. It pushes all the debris from the bottom across the tank and into the filter intake.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom