75 Gallon Planted Tank - more pics :o)

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
HI Everyone

I've just set up my 75 gallon planted tank today. Here are some pictures of it. The way it looks right now is not the final look yet, as all the plants are still young and short. The plants in the back are all supposed to grow all the way to the top of the tank. Also, the front (foreground) looks very bare right now. I'll have to wait until the foreground plant spreads around, or if it doesn't, I'll have top get more of it.

The tank is cloudy right now and there are lots of air bubbles inside. But hopefully the cloudiness will go away in a few days.

Java Moss is missing from the setup, as it wasn't available. The bare spots on the driftwood are all for Java Moss (I'll add it when it'll be available).

My back really hurts right now. I've been setting up everything from 10 am up until about 7 pm today. I didn't know it takes that much time! Cleaning and trimming plants alone took about 3 - 4 hours, as I had to look through every single plant and leaf for snails.

les

Reaction score
Re: 75 Gallon Planted Tank )

v nice

do u mind naming the species of plants for us ?

OP
Isabella

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years

- here is the complete list of plants.

les

Reaction score

Isabella said:
- here is the complete list of plants.
Appreciate that - I will go on plant geeks and try to analyse your tank.

Once again, very nice looking tank.  Very inspiring - I will try not to copy !

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

Very nice Isabella, I like it a lot, very green . Are you going to try and add any redish plants?

Good job and wil look forward to the progress

OP
Isabella

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years

Les, here is some more info on the tank on Plant Geek:

You can also go to my board to Member Blogs (right here on Fish Lore) - there is even more info on the tank there.

And ... this is not such a nice tank. I have a lot of changes to make in it, with time. I described those changes on Plant Geek (the above link from Plant Geek) in some more detail. Plus, I don't think anybody can copy someone's tank. No one tank ever looks the same. But you may do as you please, of course

Atm, I actually have red Cryptocorynes and Red Rubin Swordplant in there. Red Rubin Sword supposedly grows all the way to the top and it gains more reddish coloration as it grows. One Aponogeton also has some reddish in it. The Crypts and the Red Rubin Sword are too small to be seen right now. They need time to grow. But I still may add more reddish plants later on.

PPK9110

Reaction score

nice man, I love the naturl look, i'm thinking about setting up a plant tank too, but I have no experience about plants at all.. what kind of fish do you keep in a planted tank

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

Isabella the tank looks very nice! Just give it time to grow and fill out some then you can re-arrange it some if you like. six months down the road it will be very lush looking.
Carol

OP
Isabella

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years

Carol, the worst part of it all is that ... I want it to be lush RIGHT NOW! LOL But I know, I know, it takes time, so I'll just relax and wait I guess I will spend these following 6 months or so mostly staring at the plants, lol. No matter if the tank looks nice or not, as long as it's green. I just love the green in the tank. I love nature. Staring at a planted tank has such a calming effect on me

les

Reaction score

What sort of 'fertiliser' do you recommend ?

Something that will be good for the plants and kind to the fish...

I'd like this info before I go to the pet shop because they will probably try to sell me something I do not need ...

OP
Isabella

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years

I have been told on Plant Geek that Seachem's Flourish is good for low-light planted tanks. And this is what I got. I cannot tell you about the results yet, as the tank has just been set up. I need time with growing out the plants and seeing what will be happening. I may get algae and snails for all I know ... that's normal in new planted tanks I suppose. But of course I am hoping for the best.

There needs to be a good balance between the fertilizer, the light, and Phosphate and Nitrate in a planted tank (plus CO2 if one is using CO2 injections). If the balance is not there, algae are most likely to occur.

UPDATE:

Here are some pics of the tank after it has been running for 1 week. The water has cleared up nicely and I am not getting any pH changes due to driftwood (which I thought I was going to have). Hornwort and Water Sprite have grown a bit, quite fast, over the course of just 1 week, as for a low-light and "no CO2" tank. Water Wisteria has grown a little too, but less than Hornwort and Water Sprite. Cryptocorynes are losing few leaves but they're also starting to grow new leaves from the bottom. Each of Anubias is growing a new leaf too

I am quite amazed at all of this, as I thought I'd have to wait like a month to see any growth..

*(There is the same thread as this one in my blog.)

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Looks realllly good, what's that hanging in the middle of the tank.

Just to say, I've found that tetra florapride provides fairly nice results for a fertilizer in a low tech tank, it's what I use.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Very nice! As for the crypts they are prone to "melt"(lose their leaves) when disturbed but grow them back fairly fast. Everything sounds good.
Carol

OP
Isabella

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Atm, it's the EheI'm (Aquaball) powerhead. It has an adjustable flow, and you can have the water flow with or without oxygen (also adjustable). Its design is round, so you can direct the water flow in any direction in the tank. I love this powerhead.

Carol, yes, I have been reading about Crypt melt and that it's normal when they're re-planted, but that they recover fast. So, I have been expecting this to happen. But I'm not worried because- as I've mentioned above - I am seeing new leaves

LOL, Tom. I think it's mainly the light that makes ANY planted tank beautiful. The light has to be in the right spectrum (mine is 6,700K - good for plant growth as well). Also, the back is bare right now, as is the front. I am waiting for the back plants to grow all the way to the top, and the small front plants to cover the entire foreground. I want this tank to be completely covered in plants. I have to go look around for Java Moss for my driftwood - even Aquarium Adventure didn't have it lately.

tan.b

Well Known
Reaction score
wow!!! I love your tank!! love all the little tufts of grassy stuff (dont know names-sorry!) at the front. i'm no good at the patience thing either!!! I want all my plants to grow and NOW!! but these things won't be rushed! they do grow much quicker than I expected though! I spend a lot of time re-arranging. try not to disturb much more than necessary as don't want to damage roots! but mine often uproot themselves (usually after a water change and the water gets stirred up a bit when adding the water to the tank, so there's often a plant floating around somewhere and I can't remember when it was so gets planted somewhere diferent!!! plants are great for hiding filters, heaters, tubes and wires etc too. can't wait to see you tank with fish in it.......we're expecting more pictures!!!!! - keep up the good work. looks fab!
Tan

OP
Isabella

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Tan.b, some of my Vals have uprooted to so I had to position them deeper into the substrate. They seem OK now. The front "grassy" plants are Dwarf Sagittaria. It is supposed to stay small and spread on the floor. But it can grow tall too for some reason. If mine grows too tall as for the front, I'll replace it with some other grassy plants, most likely Echinodorus Tennelus (Dwarf Chain Sword).

tan.b

Well Known
Reaction score
Isabella said:
Tan.b, some of my Vals have uprooted to so I had to position them deeper into the substrate. They seem OK now. The front "grassy" plants are Dwarf Sagittaria. It is supposed to stay small and spread on the floor. But it can grow tall too for some reason. If mine grows too tall as for the front, I'll replace it with some other grassy plants, most likely Echinodorus Tennelus (Dwarf Chain Sword).
aaaaaaah! the grassy stuff looks similar if not the same as what i've got. mine are dif sizes. the 15 gal has very short and very long, and the 28 gal has 2x medium! i've taken the weights off them now they've rooted in the hope they'll spread. they should make good hide aways for the fry?! (if my fish ever give birth!!)
Tan

Jmarcus

Reaction score
Nice Real Nice. Are you going to add co2 ?, Dwarf Sags look real healthy Great job .

New Threads