75 Gallon Oscar Setup - Page 2

Dawn Michele

I feed them to him one at a time, and he catches them as they fall. I feed my betta this way as well. Keeps waste down and I know exactly how much food is going in. Of course, half of what Vinny eats bleps out the side of his face anyway.
Keep me posted on how Vinny is doing.

Pescado_Verde

Keep feeding him and soon enough he'll be Vinny the Double Chin.

Dawn Michele

How is Vinny doing?

MomeWrath

He’s doing great! I’ll post a picture Monday. I got my issues sorted out and I got a python so I can do bigger water changes.

MomeWrath

Dawn Michele I hope it didn't sound like he was sick or in danger...he's good! He eats very well and even got some Reef Frenzy one Friday night, which he enjoyed and made a glorious mess out of the tank with, which he spent the evening cleaning up. I didn't worry too much since I knew I was going to get up Saturday morning and do a big water change with my new Python. OMG was that thing worth it. Hardest part was getting the aerator off the kitchen faucet.
Here's VInny...with his beautiful sparkly orange spots... And I am starting to see some of that red creep onto his gill covers. The pictures would turn out better if he'd hold still for two seconds.

Vinny 2.28.19.jpg
VInny 3.1.19.jpg

Dawn Michele

Hello. IM so glad Vinny is doing well!!! He looks GREAT!!! Colors are so vibrant!!! I wish I had a python. My faucet is modern. We tried everything and it won't work unless I get another faucet. Good exercise!!!

Morpheus1967

The kids and the hubs and a couple of friends have asked the same thing, but with all I've read about a 75 being the minimum size for an oscar, I don't want to take any chances with crowding. I try hard not to overstock my tanks because I can get a little lazy with the water changes. I have a Python coming this week so hopefully that will cure me. I can't lift buckets and I hate having to ask for help all the time, you know?
Dawn Michele THANK YOU for the before and after of your Big Boy. He looked a lot like my Vinny does when he was little, so maybe he will continue to color up. He's getting Omega One cichlid pellets and a krill treat right now. He smokes the krill like a cigar so I don't want to give him anything bigger yet, but I can't wait to start supplementing with mealworms too. He also gets anything we find crawling through the house, which he says is super cool! (I live in the south...bugs happen)

Whatever you do, do not put a Jack Dempsey in there with him. Because Oscars grow so fast, you need to remember a Jack Dempsey that is the same size as your Oscar is a much older fish. The Jack Dempsey will pick on the Oscar. If you want something in there with him, I have had luck with 3-4 silver dollars. You would need a few because they are a schooling fish. Also, watch out for those rocks in there. As he grows, they are a prime area for him to get injured. And finally, a 75 gallon is plenty for him!

MomeWrath

Whatever you do, do not put a Jack Dempsey in there with him. Because Oscars grow so fast, you need to remember a Jack Dempsey that is the same size as your Oscar is a much older fish. The Jack Dempsey will pick on the Oscar. If you want something in there with him, I have had luck with 3-4 silver dollars. You would need a few because they are a schooling fish. Also, watch out for those rocks in there. As he grows, they are a prime area for him to get injured. And finally, a 75 gallon is plenty for him!
Don't worry - he is absolutely going to be an "only" fish. They're so big I just can't imagine anything not being in his way. I'm taking my MTS outdoors to a tub pond. Duly noted on the rocks. I will keep an eye on things on that front. Might end up just being him and some pebbles!

Morpheus1967

I had my Oscar alone in a 75. He tolerated one plastic plant. I tried driftwood, other plastic plants, etc. He would tear it all up except for the single most ugly plastic plant ever made. That he would not touch. That, and his golf ball. He loved carrying his golf ball around the tank lol.

MomeWrath

Vinny the Chin update! Trying to take pictures/video of him every week or two to kind of document his growth and how his color changes. He looks like he's glass surfing, but it was mostly because he's used to getting his krill after dinner and I hadn't ponied up dessert yet.

Dawn Michele

Vinny the Chin update! Trying to take pictures/video of him every week or two to kind of document his growth and how his color changes. He looks like he's glass surfing, but it was mostly because he's used to getting his krill after dinner and I hadn't ponied up dessert yet.
Yo Vinny!!!! Looking good!!!!!

Pescado_Verde

Heck yeah! Vinny is lookin' GOOD!

MomeWrath

Wow he sure is getting pretty <3
Can you see how much he's grown or am I just fooling myself? I want to document his growth but not too close together. He's just so cool. And he still changes color. He's got his stripes on because I think he's scared of the phone. They seem to show up more when he's nervous. Like when a new person comes over he goes all stripey and his dorsal and caudal fins get pale and hides behind the rocks. When it's feeding time he turns more gray and his face gets really pale. Definitely one of the more interesting and unexpected aspects of oscar keeping so far.

IMG_7137.jpg
IMG_7136.jpg

Dawn Michele

Vinny is looking GREAT!!!! IM so glad your enjoying him!!!!

Morpheus1967

He is going to be gorgeous full grown!

MomeWrath

Here's a new one for me. I've never had a fish that I couldn't keep some kind of "cleanup crew" with him before. Especially in my former reef tank, and community tanks you toss a few snails in and *poof* scum is gone.
I'm doing weekly 30% water changes in Vinny's tank. I have the area behind the filter wall stuffed with java moss and hornwort. But the rocks and the plastic plants look like they have diatoms on them. It shows up on the pebbles in the bottom as well by the end of the week and collects near the bottom of the glass.
Is it diatoms? Algae? Do I just have to take the rocks out and clean them when I do the water change? Will it morph into something else over time? With an oscar, snails are not an option, nor are cories or anything like that. I don't overfeed - he gets 8-9 HikarI Gold Super Color cichlid pellets a day, and one krill. I feed him one at a time so there is no uneaten food.

A201

You don't need to take the rocks out to clean. Over time green algae will overtake the diatom. A group of 4 or 5, Y. Modesta -
Aka - Blue Loaches, might be the cleanup crew you're looking for. They are big, fast & tough Loaches. I keep a group of them in my African Cichlid tank, a very hostile environment, and they do fine. They might stir up the gravel enough as to lessen the substrate algae problem.
20190409_115001.jpg

Morpheus1967

You don't need to take the rocks out to clean. Over time green algae will overtake the diatom. A group of 4 or 5, Y. Modesta -
Aka - Blue Loaches, might be the cleanup crew you're looking for. They are big, fast & tough Loaches. I keep a group of them in my African Cichlid tank, a very hostile environment, and they do fine. They might stir up the gravel enough as to lessen the substrate algae problem.
20190409_115001.jpg

I don't think hostility is the issue. How big do those get? When my Oscar was full grown, he loved nothing more than carrying a golf ball from one end of the tank to the other in his mouth. I don't think he would have an issue or problem eating one of those.

MomeWrath

I don't think hostility is the issue. How big do those get? When my Oscar was full grown, he loved nothing more than carrying a golf ball from one end of the tank to the other in his mouth. I don't think he would have an issue or problem eating one of those.
Sadly I think Morpheus is right. Oscars are just so big... I believe part of the problem is how messy an oscar is, so more fish is not going to improve matters much. I was sort of thinking on the lines of green algae will push out the brown over time, just wondered if anyone else had some magic bullet. Look at me asking for an overnight answer when I'm the one always saying "Patience!"

MomeWrath

Vinny update...just a photo...
Someone explain to me when oscars get fun, please. He just hangs there. And if anyone but me approaches the tank, and sometimes when I approach too, he hides. He's really pretty, and I am taking good care of him, but I just don't know if the oscar life is the life for me. Maybe I was expecting too much, but I am finding my pond goldfish t o be much more interesting and engaging than the oscar. I won't feed live food, so that option is out for interaction. What would you do?

Vinny 5.5.19.jpg

Morpheus1967

I used to always make faces at mine. Get him to flare at me by opening his mouth real wide. You feel like a **** fool til the first time he does it back lol. How big is he now? 3-4"?

MomeWrath

I used to always make faces at mine. Get him to flare at me by opening his mouth real wide. You feel like a fool til the first time he does it back lol. How big is he now? 3-4"?
For some reason that photo makes him look small. I guess because of the reflection of my phone but he's easily 5-6" now. My hand just covers him if I hold it up. I will try the faces. I've been gone a lot lately and he might just be mad at me. He used to play peek a boo in the corner of the tank with my daughter but now he just puts his stripes on and tries to hide behind the rock.

david1978

Mine liked biting fingers.

Morpheus1967

Yea, I found the more I interacted with him, the more he responded to me. He looked a lot like your fella!

I remember one time I came home from work. I walked by his tank, and he flipped out. Flaring at me, opening and shutting his mouth, racing from one end of his tank to the other. Could not for the life of me figure out what the issue was. It turns out, I was wearing a shirt the exact same colors as he was. And every time he saw me in that shirt, or I just brought it out to show visitors how much he hated it, he would go crazy lol. Strangest thing I ever saw. But man he hated that shirt.

A201

Vinny looks to be a very high quality Oscar. You might look at him more of a "status" fish rather than an interactive friend.
You don't always need to keep Oscars solo. At his current size maybe add several Giant Danios. Some fast schooling dithers should perk him up. That's not a permanent solution, but it might work for now.

MomeWrath

Yea, I found the more I interacted with him, the more he responded to me. He looked a lot like your fella!

I remember one time I came home from work. I walked by his tank, and he flipped out. Flaring at me, opening and shutting his mouth, racing from one end of his tank to the other. Could not for the life of me figure out what the issue was. It turns out, I was wearing a shirt the exact same colors as he was. And every time he saw me in that shirt, or I just brought it out to show visitors how much he hated it, he would go crazy lol. Strangest thing I ever saw. But man he hated that shirt.

That is too funny lol... Now I'm going to start hunting for things to get a rise out of him.

Vinny looks to be a very high quality Oscar. You might look at him more of a "status" fish rather than an interactive friend.
You don't always need to keep Oscars solo. At his current size maybe add several Giant Danios. Some fast schooling dithers should perk him up. That's not a permanent solution, but it might work for now.

Thank you, that is really good to hear. I got him from a very well regarded LFS, and he definitely cost more than the average WalMart oscar. I really do like his markings a lot. I don't think I will add more fish just because it's only a 75 and he already gets it pretty gross all by himself over the course of a week. I also don't want to have to rehome something before it gets eaten haha. So I will tell people that have pedigreed dogs that I have a highborn fish

Islandvic

Maybe he needs a tank mate?

Dawn Michele

Hello.You should go check out my thread Big Boy's Latest Creation. He is sooooo much fun!!!! He's such a character!!! Vinny is still young. You need to give him some more time.

MomeWrath

Hello.You should go check out my thread Big Boy's Latest Creation. He is sooooo much fun!!!! He's such a character!!! Vinny is still young. You need to give him some more time.

I will. I didn't take much convincing. There's been a lot going on at my house the last couple of weeks and I haven't really had time to stop and play with the fishes much. Hopefully things will calm down soon.

MomeWrath

Well I feel like I should apologize, but I had to trade Vinny in this weekend. I was just not enjoying him... I tried... I'm just not a big fish person. I guess I like watching their more natural behavior than particularly interacting with them on a personal level. I took Vinny to The Fish Room (my LFS) and they were very happy to have him, and have several large tanks where he can be displayed comfortably until he finds a new home. They even told me they don't give credit for trade-ins, but when they saw Vinny they gave me a dollar apiece off of the fish I bought.
I bought seven diamond tetras and a pair of koi angels, and I already like the tank better. I guess all those years of saltwater spoiled me for having movement in my aquarium. Sorry to those who feel like I gave up my puppy, but I figured I should be honest. For those who are considering putting an oscar in a 75-gallon aquarium: please don't. You won't be happy long term. It was pretty apparent that it was not going to be a good place for VInny in the end. The new fish look much happier and I feel better about this setup.
unrelated but interesting - all of the plants came out of my daughter's ten gallon. So now her fish have room to swim again!
new 75 051219.jpg

Dawn Michele

Hello. I think you did the right thing. Your a GREAT fish Mommy!!! You tried and your right. Big fish are NOT for everyone. I hope your happy with your new fish selection!!! They are pretty!!!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
kansas
Replies
Views
AP1
Replies
Views
Ewest
Replies
Views