75 Gallon Needs More Fish (currently Firemouth, 6 Turquoise Rainbows, Rainbow Shark)

kakashi

Reaction score
I recently moved my Firemouth (3") from his solo 29 gallon to my 75 Gallon. I also added 6 Turquoise Rainbows (around 2.5-3") and a tiny rainbow shark (wife's contribution...). I have couple ideas for some new fish and would like to hear peoples opinions. I love my Firemouth and now that the rainbow fish are in the big tank with him he is like 10x more active (but not at all aggressive). I would also like to hear any suggestions for different stocking options.

#1. Getting a smaller Green or Gold Severum and maybe 3 more rainbows. I have always loved Severums and I thought this would add a nice centerpiece to the tank when he grows out as well as add some intelligence and personality.

#2. African Butterfly Fish, and either 5 more turq rainbows or some bosemani rainbows. (Never had rainbowfish before, but I love them!

#3. Another Firemouth, some more rainbows and maybe a few giant danios for the top. I find danios to be boring, but they do stay up high to add some activity up top. I like Firemouths, but my current one has awesome fins and I would hate to see one get all beat up.

#4. Paradisefish and some more rainbows. I know that this probably wouldn't work because I read on another forum that one paradise annihilated a whole school of rainbows....

#5. Add plants, sand and some rainbows...maybe another another Firemouth?

#6. Bolivian Rams (how many?), and some Denison Barbs...maybe an angelfish....

#7 Your own fabulous idea!

Any input would be greatly appreciated. I initially was going to put an Oscar and a Severum in this tank with denisons and eventually put them in a 125 gallon.

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If you want to add more firemouths then shoot for more like 5 firemouths total. If you get a single new FM there is a possibility the original one will be overly aggressive with it. Another possibility is the to pair up, which wouldn't be too bad but they will become aggressive during spawning. With a group, aggression should be minimal but there is always the chance of pairs forming.

I would not do the butterfly fish as they will need a lot of surface cover (floating plants) and they will likely have a hard time getting enough food as the others will get to it before they can. They would probably make easier targets for the other fish too.

Paradise fish probably won't work as they actually like cooler temps.

Not sure on the bolivian rams, I feel like might get bullied by the firemouth.

Severums might not be a bad idea and adding more rainbows is always a good idea so long as you have room for them.

Have you though of blue acara?

kakashi

Reaction score
If you want to add more firemouths then shoot for more like 5 firemouths total. If you get a single new FM there is a possibility the original one will be overly aggressive with it. Wow I didn't know that many Firemouths was even an option...this idea intrigues me.
With a group, aggression should be minimal but there is always the chance of pairs forming. If pairs formed would they kill my rainbowfish?

I would not do the butterfly fish as they will need a lot of surface cover (floating plants) and they will likely have a hard time getting enough food as the others will get to it before they can. They would probably make easier targets for the other fish too. Makes sense....

Severums might not be a bad idea and adding more rainbows is always a good idea so long as you have room for them. Music to my ears!

Have you though of blue acara? I have thought of a Blue Acara. I actually forgot to list that! I feel that a blue Acara may be a bit boring to watch compared to more Firemouths or a Severum....I have also been wrong many times before!
The Bolivian Rams will make for pricey feeder fish for your Fire Mouth
Haha Guess they're probably out then along with the Butterflyfish and Paradisefish.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom