75 Gallon Mbuna Stocking + Filter?

1. lol Member Member

Ok, so I was originally going to purchase a 55 gallon aquarium for mbunas, but then I saw 75 gallon price and now I'm leaning towards that instead. I have a 29 gallon that is already set up, so if I need to put any fish in a 'time-out' to mitigate aggression, I can put them in there. One at a time, or maybe with a divider to keep them separated until they're back in the 75.

First question: is this a good stock list? My LFS has all of these:

1m4f Acei
    1m4f Red zebra
    1m4f what my LFS calls Pseudo. Deep Msobo
    1 Cyno. Afra
    1 OB Zebra (can I have just one of these with Red Zebras?)
    1 Labidochromis Nkali (already owned, he's in my 29 gallon but has an injured tail)

Pseudo Deep Msobo males look somewhat similar to male Melanochromis parallelus. Could I get both, or only one, since males look similar? Would the Red Zebras try to crossbreed with the female Msobos? I'd get more Afras but they're more expensive than the other fish at my LFS so idk. Same with OB Zebra, but the main reason I only want one is because I like the look of it, but not if there are 5 of them.

Second question: if it's ok to get just one of a certain fish, should it be male or female? I'm more concerned about the well-being and peace between the cichlids than whether the male will look better than the female.

Third question: what kind of filter would I need for this setup? Thanks.

2. Plecomaker Well Known Member Member

Some zebras and labs crossbreed too right?

3. lol Member Member

Yea, but I thought that was just with yellow Labidochromis caeruleus or maybe others. Would the Nkali crossbreed with red zebras?...

4. Skyy2112 Member Member

I know stocking depends on your plan. Either you overstock and assume you will love some, or you understock and make sure each has a 'home' or there will be aggression over territory.

W/ an overstock, I was told by a LFS's owner, a 55g would be 30 cichlids assuming ~8 will die leaving 22 left (4-8in each fish)

5. lol Member Member

Yikes, I don't really want to bet on the deaths of 8 fish. Can I do this stocking without any of the fish killing eachother (assuming their behaviour is typical of their species, e.g. assuming they won't act more aggressive than they normally do?)

6. Skyy2112 Member Member

I would assume so. But basically overstocking is to curb aggression. The issue is, ONE aggressive fish can be very destructive. I wish you luck! =]

7. Skyy2112 Member Member

Btw I'd suggest a canister filter (mainly for bio filter) and another filter, i love my Aquaclear 110. (Just remember if you stock high you want atleast 10 times gph.

8. lol Member Member

Thanks Skyy2112 for help. How would two Fluval 406 filters work? With two, it's 766 GPH which is pretty much 10x 75 gallons per hour. How would this stocking be?:

1m5f Acei
    1m5f Pseudo. Deep Msobo
    1m5f Cobalt Blue Zebra
    1 Labidochromis Nkali

I can still tone it down to 4f if this is too many fish.

9. Plecomaker Well Known Member Member

I think youd need the 75 for acei. Theyre a tad too big for 55 imo.

10. lol Member Member

Yea Plecomaker, I'm getting that 75 gallon if it means I can keep those Acei :)

Is there a cheaper canister filter option for me that adds up to 750~ GPH? Not sure how I feel about paying $500 for two Fluval 406, but I'll still keep it in the back of my mind...

11. lol Member Member

Actually, what is the filter circulation of an Aquaclear 110 power filter? I can't tell whether the 500gph I'm seeing is pump output or filter circulation which seem to be different things.

Would Fluval Fx6 be better than Aquaclear 110 for 75 gallon mbuna tank?