75 Gallon is cycling, excited to be a part of Fishlore and REALLY excited for fish!

MissyRay
HI All,

I'm still a newbie to the forum so I'm looking forward to hearing from as many people as possible. And I would love input, ideas, anything really!

Here's a few pics of the tank coming along. Just started the fishless cycle a few days ago.

Little snags right off the bat as expected I guess but....

The second filter I got didn't fit (AC110 as the primary), AC70. Too dang small and didn't slip down over the rI'm of the tank. Being the tank is brand new I was unwilling to clip the plastic and figured another 110 was probably a good idea anyway.

Snafu #2, duh, I read the conditioner directions of 2 drops per gallon but when I went to do it I divided the tank amount by 2 so I only put 34 or so drops in. Holy cow, it was late and I was tired. Corrected that the next day and the tank cleared dramatically.

No use in reporting Ammonia, NitrItes, or NitrAtes since that is just starting.

Of note and possible concern is my water parameters. We have a whole house water softener.... I know. Not very good. Ph seems to be about 8.2, GH between 0 and 30 on the stupid strips and KH like 240..... Consistent with softened water. I can apparently bypass the system but our water is so horrible, it will be the hardest water ever and totally inconsistent. Literally clear to brown to yellow, constantly changing. That said, unless someone has a better plan, I think I am going to go with the softened water and do my best with it.

What am I going to stock? Well, I think a large school of cories and parrot cichlid for the main fish. No other occupants.

Alternatively, I actually have a 180 gal that will be in the works soon and want to do an angelfish tank so I was thinking of starting the 75 with young angelfish to grow out while the other gets underway (later in the summer), transfer them over to the 180 and then go with the original planned stock for the 75.

Ok so that's basically the gist. Ideas, thoughts???

Thanks everyone!

bizaliz3
Welcome to fishlore! I love both of your ideas. I think parrots are adorable! And angelfish are my passion I would love to have a 75 gallon angelfish tank! I totally encourage you to do that! And ultimately 180 gallons for angels!!! Awesome! Your tank looks great so far!

MissyRay
Thanks! It's been almost 10 years since I kept fish and the biggest tank ever was a 55 so this is super cool! I love parrots too, I know they are a love um or hate um fish but I love um. Peach and tweety were our babies back then, they were 5 years old when we moved and I had to rehome them.

bizaliz3
Thanks! It's been almost 10 years since I kept fish and the biggest tank ever was a 55 so this is super cool! I love parrots too, I know they are a love um or hate um fish but I love um. Peach and tweety were our babies back then, they were 5 years old when we moved and I had to rehome them.
Awwww that must have been tough to have to rehome them after 5 years. Ya those parrots are really neat fish. They like to be pet like a dog even LOL I have 2 persimmon parrots which are dwarf parrots. They look exactly like the regular blood parrots but they stay half the size and have the same adorable personality. And they literally do like to be pet like a dog!

Congratulations on the new tanks! That's gotta be really exciting 180 gallons is a huge upgrade from 55 and after 10 years you've earned it!

MissyRay
I never let mine but I saw a video of someone doing it and it had never occurred to me before to try. They had no problem eating out of my hand tho!

OMG I'm totally googling persimmon parrots right now. That would be awesome because I would really like a nicely stocked tank and smaller would be great!

MissyRay
I'm scared to death for the 180 tho, but my wonderful uncle who actually kept goldfish and frequently showed them is scaling down and offered it up. How could I not! Only issue we are working out is the logistics to get it to and in my house.

bizaliz3
I found very little info about the persimmon parrots online so I was skeptical...but I have 2 different respectable LFS that have carried them. And I have had mine for almost a year and they have in fact stayed smaller....so....

Here's my favorite pic of one of mine

MissyRay
Aww, how cute! Looks very happy. I started searching them but had to get the kiddos in bed. Will look more soon as I'm very interested!

MissyRay
Oh my goodness, there's basically no information on them.

For angelfish people, I'm curious about the blue blushing? Some pics show them truly blue, some look silvery/white. Descriptions talk about a blue iridescence, anyone have any knowledge on them? Or better yet? Do you have any and have pics?

bizaliz3
The blushing trait can be seen on multiple different angel varieties. It has to do with the gill plate being clear or translucent. And often when they are adults it isn't as easy to see.

As for the blue...there are also several blue varieties...and they are usually just a silvery blue tint rather than a true blue. Under the right light they can look pretty blue though!

I'm a huge fan of the blue varieties. I ordered some online recently but they are still very very small. So the coloring isn't really there yet.

MissyRay
I definitely have work to do to decide what I want, there are endless varieties available.

My water situation is concerning though. Think that is the first issue I'm going to have to deal with. My pH is soooo high and GH soooo low. Gonna have to start a thread for suggestions on that!

MissyRay
So I'm still cycling and still deciding what fish to get!

I'm worrying myself about the water parameters, my water is hard and ph stays between 8.2 and 8.4.

I keep researching and getting different answers about this. I would really like to keep angelfish. Thoughts anyone? Seems like people have had success at this ph, even with spawning but I'm so worried it won't work for me.

The parrots are a definite, and should do fine in the water. Was looking at cories in the tank as well and if I'm picky about my choice I think they can do well too

But what about angelfish? Or any other suggestions? For some reason, I'm not too interested in most other cichlids.

Just as a reminder, the 75 is cycling currently but the 180gal is on its way next month so I have much planning to do

All suggestions and thoughts are welcome!

MissyRay
It's time to stock! Super stoked. I've got a thread going for anyone who can give input. Thanks!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
TClare
Replies
Views
emersongalicia
Replies
Views
Fljoe
Replies
Views